Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Show Box Sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fargo is pretty decent if anyone is bored and wants to watch something different from the usual crime dramas.
Each season is a depiction of a massacre that actually happened irl.

5 out of 7

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:31 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
[Preacher] Finale was rather bizarre

Mmm. It felt like they lost the plot and went too slapstick several episodes previously in the motel fight. Also, I get triggered by cartoon gun violence.

Cooper and Gilgun are pretty solid, but Negga can sod right off. The character of Tulip is thoroughly unlikeable and her unsympathetic performance did little to temper that. Fiore and DeBlanc almost worked.

The supporting cast were generally more interesting, but, well, you've seen the finale.

I'm not really enamoured with the idea of Preacher: Road Trip, at least if they insist on keeping Negga.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Each season is a depiction of a massacre that actually happened irl.

Is it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_(TV_series)#.22This_is_a_true_story.22

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Pokes Borg thrice, new Star Trek series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ntVAcqZ1M Scores well on the diversity front, that's obviously what's important Neutral

Warp core breach imminent. There's been a series of transporter accidents for the crew and cast and the scripts and even the time period. Nobody seemed (or seems) to know what they're making or why or for what audience.

All that, and they're hiding it in their ad-infested paywalled garden.

That CBS castrated Axanar but then pressed on with... that... just shows how little they really give a toss about Trek.

Oh, and Axanar...

https://i.imgur.com/yBLMrGE.gif

...vs...

https://youtu.be/y6ntVAcqZ1M?t=25 (imgur refuses to gifv it - I don't blame them).

Wow. Just, wow.

When it fails, you just know they're going to blame the (Star Trek!) audience for Not Being Ready for a cast headed up by Shon'iqua Te'quilla and Jacquie Chan. Damn Patriarchy, always Patriarching.

M.C wrote:
Don't worry Seth McFarlane's doing a pisstake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0 That looks awful as well Crying or Very sad

Seth McFarlane is Jason Nesmith in Galaxy Quest 2 The Orville.

The slew of post Galaxy Quest SF parodies have all flopped because they forgot to bring the funny. I have a fondness for Hyperspace but it commencified to not "find its market" as they say.

I don't see MacFarlane that turning it around. He ain't as funny or as everyman as he think he is.

I'm Jonesing pretty bad for a decent space opera. It's been quite a while.

Scrap it and bring back SG:U

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:31 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Scrap it and bring back SG:U

Manky Scotch, can't watch.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually watched through Stargate Atlantis again fairly recently and I forgot how good it was. The main series lost its way towards the end IMO and I never got into universe.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universe is patchy and starts even more unevenly - but in some ways it's my fave of the lot. True, it lacks the humour of preceding SGs - but that creates a dark vibe which is, well, neither better nor worse. Just different. Also, some fairly "adult" plot lines kick off - inc. e.g. dike shit. I mean, erm, slightly unorthodox relationships. Body swap crap at the same time, via dem stones wot get used for communicating w/ earth. Weirdness. I think they abandon that stuff later on.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to finish Designated Survivor on Netflix. The designated survivor is the person nominated to be the successor to the US government when they all have a get together, so that if the entire government is wiped out in one go then they will reform a new government. It was pretty interesting at first and then got a bit 24-like. The final episode was released yesterday.

I am going to start Sneaky Pete afterwards and then do the newest series of House of Cards when it is released at the end of the month.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:22 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The main series lost its way towards the end IMO

Well, they'd done everything.

Ev. Er. Ey. Thing.

Ahh... weapons at maximum. Wub

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone watching American Gods?

We're on episode 3.

Anyone know what's going on?

Lovejoy hasn't sold a single antique yet........no Tinker Dill yet either..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:16 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I'm on a boycott of shows that are trying to return to that hilariously ancient format of "tune in next week". I'll watch when they're all available, at my pace.

I'm looking at you too, Better Call Saul and iZombie. Tut Tut

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched 1 and 2 of American Gods, gonna let a few episodes run and play a bit of catch up.
Also watching IZombie, Fargo and Wentworth, as well as Better call Saul, so lots to try and concentrate on. OOh nearly forgot Handmaid's Tale. Read the book, wasn't sure if Mister Hedgehugger would like the series, but watched, and hooked!
Currently falling asleep to Haven and started to watch X Files, from the beginning.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 25 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one probably not big enough to be considered a box set: White Gold. Watched all 6 episodes tonight, it's Simon and Jay from the inbetweeners (and Neil's girlfriend), plus some other bloke as 80s double glazing salesmen. It has its moments, too much of the other bloke, seems to be getting slated although I don't think it's that bad.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p050j7mk.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050hssx

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, they're all too young for me to perve on.

I fancied the teacher from the Inbetweeners. He were a big lad Wink

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Damn, they're all too young for me to perve on.

If you mean Greg Davies, then he was great in the Tv Show: Cuckoo (2012) and Man Down (2013).

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 26 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I watched some of Man Down. It was quite funny. When I wasn't ogling his legs ... Shifty

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

https://i.imgur.com/wLV6sJHl.png

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:18 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon Prime: Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

If you have kids, you have the perfect excuse to watch this.

If you don't, I'd suggest considering giving it a go anyway if there's any joy in your heart.

It's both a prequel to and a subversion of the original series. Yes, it's actually got a plot that develops from the first episode all the way through to the very final scene, 52 episodes later.

It pays homage to the original cartoons while elevating them into something more. Think what Galaxy Quest did for Star Trek, if it had 20 hours to do it.

The writing is superb, the voice work sublime, the animation exactly what it needs to be, and the casting is just inspired. It is the stupid corny old slapstick Scooby Doo, while at the same time winking at it and creating a genuine story-arc mystery adventure show with actual, honest-to-Char-Gar-Gothakon, character development.

If you can watch this and not crack a smile, you are dead inside.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 09 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I'm off to see him do a live show in a couple of weeks in Bristol. I'll see if I can snap you a pic or two.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:15 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear the Walking Dead.

I'm rather conflicted about this.

First, I just love that they cast 50-and-fabulous Kim Dickens as the lead. She's realistically the right age to be a mother to her 20-somethings-playing-teens children, and fiercely MILFy as all get out. This is bold and confident casting in an age group that's long been neglected between Clotho and Atropos.

But that's also where it starts to fall apart. The cast are mostly too pretty, especially eyes-lips-tits daughter: this is strictly a shiny-hair, lip gloss zompocalypse.

It's Walking Dead the Soap Opera. Los Angeles people, with Los Angeles concerns and Los Angeles relationships, all emoting their "Travis!", "Alicia!", "Madison!" lines in precisely the same fashion, since they all went to precisely the same Los Angeles actorz schools.

I can make allowances for that up to a point, as this is the zomorigins story that Walking Dead very deliberately skipped past. But only up to a point.

The budget isn't there and there's some jarringly poor CGI, sadly truncated zombie hordes and fairly inept dealing with them by characters who should already know better. Far too many indistinguishable subtitled Mexoricans too.

The gore is toned down, the emotional impact is absent, and deliberately so. It seems that they're targeting an audience who are zomcurious but flinched at the intensity of Walking Dead. They rely way too much on the score to cue you into what you might feel if they actually committed to the scenes. Far too much hugging it out.

And Kim Dickens may be who you'd hook up with the first night after the world ended, but Melissa McBride is who you'd survive it with.

I dunno. I'm still watching it, but I doubt I'll remember it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you liked the real proper non pretend walking dead, you'd actually hate this spin off then?

It pretty much sums up why Im reluctant to pick up a new series/box set drama, as I fear they won't live up to the ones I've enjoyed in the past.

The most recent series I got into is really old and into its 3Rd season now, and that was 'Wentworth prison'.

People please tell me if I'm really missing must see captivating tv, as otherwise I'll just keep watching repeats of wheeler dealers and chasing classic cars etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:57 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hate it, no. It's just that it's about 2/3rds the intensity of Walking Dead. Smaller budget, smaller sets, smaller idea, and less confidence in their material and cast as evidenced by the constant and slightly overblown score. They don't use silence for effect.

It's like the ADHD version of Walking Dead, with added "teen" angst. I'm going to stick with it now that I've put my tip in, I just wouldn't recommend pulling out of something that you're already enjoying.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Not hate it, no. It's just that it's about 2/3rds the intensity of Walking Dead. Smaller budget, smaller sets, smaller idea, and less confidence in their material and cast as evidenced by the constant and slightly overblown score. They don't use silence for effect.

It's like the ADHD version of Walking Dead, with added "teen" angst. I'm going to stick with it now that I've put my tip in, I just wouldn't recommend pulling out of something that you're already enjoying.

What series are you on? The 3rd seems to be bigger budget, my beef with it is that they keep killing off the good characters and keeping the annoying ones alive, with a few rather obvious exceptions*. What I will say is if you're going to watch it you have to get past the first series, shit only really hits the fan at the end of it (when the outbreak properly starts).

*if you don't see them ripped apart by zombies, no matter how improbable, they've probably survived Confused

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously.....

No love for House Of Cards?

I am disappoint.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 16 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

President pushing someone under a train - lost interest after that. Too daft.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 11 of 62