Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Show Box Sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
The times being first the episode or two? Razz
Though, I suppose alas it does have similarities to Star Trek.

Think I said in my original (mini) review, Seth MacFarlane takes things he obviously likes, and applies his humour to the situation. Sometimes it works (Ted), sometimes it doesn't (a million ways to die in the west).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:27 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a a lot of his comedy style - and felt if it'd build on the first episodes it could have been really good.

Instead the comedy seems sporadic and lackluster, with the generic 'star trek' stuff that seems more TOS often being taken seriously, rather than used for comic effort.
I was hoping for more 'Galaxy Guest'.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 07 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do I, but The Orville felt like a not very good Trek series (probably equivalent to Enterprise Razz) with loose language. Picard wouldn't have tolerated it on his ship Folded arms

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:28 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually gave up on Enterprise quicker than Orville ... but the latter has only been on in the background.

Another Thumbs Up for Altered Carbon - half way though and still liking it.
A lot of money spent on it, it seems.
(They even don't use motorbike enduro armour for the future-soliders. Though, they do still sport Sidi Road Racing boots painted blacks Smile.)

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detectorists. A gentle comedy about two metal detecting friends, but every character in it shone. Three series of 6 episodes each, all beautifully written and filmed in sunny Suffolk. The Christmas Special and subsequent series 3 were my favourites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shelved the idea of Carbon thingamajig for now, and instead I am going with The Man in the High Castle ...

... but the only thing that that is keeping me there (S1/E2) is Rufus Sewell's cheekbones.

Japs AND Nazis?
Fuck that for a game of dominoes.
I can't tell who are the bad guys and who are the good guys, so am just assuming all the Japs and Nazis are bad guys, but I just know I'm going to be making a Big Mistake with that assumption.

I do seem to have a rather worrying "thing" about Nazis.
Cos I have to say, the hatred/fear of them is well ingrained into my soul.
But why are senior SS always so ... darned ... attractive ? Brick Wall
I had a bit of a thing about Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds, as well. Mad And what a little shit he was.

Or maybe its just the uniform ... Thinking

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Another Thumbs Up for Altered Carbon - half way though and still liking it.

I gave it a couple of episodes, seems like a slow one? Neutral

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:26 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked it from the off - but always been a fan of well-produced (literary or screen) cyber punk.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Young Sheldon is probably better if you're a big TBBT fan though.

It has started on e4. Not sure yet (2 episodes in), it probably doesn't help they keep showing all the funny bits in the promos. It does feel a little bit like a naff Malcolm in the Middle so far.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Pjay wrote:
Young Sheldon is probably better if you're a big TBBT fan though.

It has started on e4. Not sure yet (2 episodes in), it probably doesn't help they keep showing all the funny bits in the promos. It does feel a little bit like a naff Malcolm in the Middle so far.

It's not great but I enjoy it.
It is a naff Malcolm in the Middle.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking Dead made me chuckle today. There was a glorious splatterfest. Laughing Thumbs Up

actually most of it was dull, dull, dull though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm done with Designated Survivor, interesting premise, I liked series 1, strong start but slowly flagged. Series 2, just gets worse, it's like nothing in Series 1 happened, the political, military, economic and social landscapes should all have changed beyond recognition and there should be unprecedented challenges to overcome - but it's just a sub standard West Wing, as I think I've already opined in this thread, but yeah - I'm done. Thumbs Down

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash vs Evil Dead 9/10

Now back with the 3rd. season. Thumbs Up

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Actually most of it was dull, dull, dull though

It's been dull for 4 seasons now.

They fill it full of shit and make a great last episode with a cliffhanger and we keep on coming back.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atypical - 9/10

Loved it. The kid is high functioning autistic and is hilarious. Well worth a watch. Killed the full season in two sittings.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to some snow days I have binged my way through series 1 and 2 of The Good Place. Interesting idea but the ending to series 1 didn't really fit in with the direction that the show was going in overall so consequently series 2 (for me) wasn't as good. Still it killed some time and I would definitely go back and rewatch it again later.

I also went back for some anime and have made it up to episode 47 of Fullmetal Alchemist which is much better than my first attempt at it!

And I finally saw the last episode of the Grand Tour. I'm glad they got rid of the silly celebrity joke and the studio stuff is much more watchable than it was in the first series. Its growing on me.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:48 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

I also went back for some anime

On that - anyone have suggested for any dubbed anime series worth a watch from the last few years?
Binged a good lot of them about 5 years ago, but not much recently.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working so hard lately (work eat sleep repeat) that I'd forgotten I was even watching The Man in the High Castle. I'll have to go back and review it.

Or I could just cough up for a full box set of West Wing, cos I am still having a bit of a Martin Sheen thing and spend the next two weekends sitting in a damp patch on the sofa.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:53 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica Jones S2 drops on Netflix tomorrow. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked S1, and will even forgive them releasing on International Wamen's Day.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I've been working so hard lately (work eat sleep repeat) that I'd forgotten I was even watching The Man in the High Castle. I'll have to go back and review it.

Or I could just cough up for a full box set of West Wing, cos I am still having a bit of a Martin Sheen thing and spend the next two weekends sitting in a damp patch on the sofa.

I watched the whole west wing series quite recently. it's...okay. A load of shit will fly straight over your head unless you've got a fairly decent grasp of how stuff goes down procedurally in US politics. Very technical and bamboozling in places. I'd give the whole shebang 5.5/6 out of 10.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
the whole west wing series ... will fly straight over your head unless you've got a fairly decent grasp of how stuff goes down procedurally in US politics. Very technical and bamboozling in places. I'd give the whole shebang 5.5/6 out of 10.

I'm only planning on watching it for the Martin Sheen husky voice aspect Laughing

Who knows, maybe I'll learn some US politics procedural in between perving. Cool Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Oh! It has Jimmy Smits in it as well ... Wub Wub

That's added an extra bit of high-cheekboned interest to the plot, then. Cool

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
There's not enough love for Peaky Blinders in this thread.
It's simply the best thing the BBC have ever produced, unless someone can prove otherwise?

9/10

Given it a few episodes and was gonna bail until I saw Tom Hardy's in season 2. Does it get better or stay the same? It's ok, I like the accents Smile, it's just not amazing so far.

Rogerborg wrote:
Jessica Jones S2 drops on Netflix tomorrow. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked S1, and will even forgive them releasing on International Wamen's Day.

Two three episodes in and I'm bailing, like Daredevil they've forgotten what made the first series great Sad

M.C in a parallel universe wrote:
Sneaky Pete Season 2's out.

Starts off shit, gets really good, then gets unbelievably convoluted. Overall I liked it more than the first series.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 02:54 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Two three episodes in and I'm bailing, like Daredevil they've forgotten what made the first series great Sad
Also; Taken series 2.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Given it a few episodes and was gonna bail until I saw Tom Hardy's in season 2. Does it get better or stay the same? It's ok, I like the accents Smile, it's just not amazing so far.

It's great, but yeah a little slow out of the blocks. There are some truly great moments, and not much filler episodes once it starts rolling. I particularly like the cinematography and soundtrack to it, its modern style added to an old setting works superb, I'm amazed it's not more commonplace.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 28 of 61