Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBR 125 - a few minor problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

adamcfc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:00 - 30 Jul 2011    Post subject: Honda CBR 125 - a few minor problems Reply with quote

Just purchased a Honda CBR 125, it has a few little problems, just wondering if anyone can give some advice.

1) On de-acceleration, and after the bike has been revved and the revs are dropping, flames pop out the exhaust every now and again. This is a sign the mixture is too rich? To fix this i must adjust the mixture screw on the carb?

2) The bike idles at about 1200-1400 rpm, but its a little bit erratic. Is this irregularity a sign of a rich mixture, or should i adjust the idle screw on the carb to allow the bike to idle at 1600-1800?

3) Apon trying to start the bike today, the starter motor turned over twice then stopped, the lights dimmed and the indicators wouldnt flash. I bump started it, and then everything worked fine. I left it running for 5 mins, turned it off, and it then started on the button again. I checked the voltage with a multimeter, and found the resting voltage was 12.02 DCV and the power when running was 12.75 DCV.
Am i right in saying a good battery should hold about 12.5+ when resting, and that the bike is going to fail to start in the morning?

Finally, where is the mixture screw on the carb, and how many turns in or out should i try? I know the idle screw points down out the carb, has a flat screwdriver slot, and has a spring on.

Any help is appreciated, Many Thanks,
Adam

adamcfc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:26 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there is a white sort of paste over both terminals of the battery, im guessing this is just connection paste or something to prevent corrosion?

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out the spark plug and if it's sooty/black, chances are you're running rich - this is just to confirm before you start messing with other things. Before you mess with the carb, check the air filter - clean or replace it, as if it's blocked, it will make things run rich. Might as well put a new spark plug in as well - they're cheap.

The white stuff on the battery terminals is most likely silicone grease - it's a very good thing to put over them as it will stop them corroding. Of course, you can use Vaseline or copper grease too if you like. Also it sounds like your battery may be flat - due to it being old/knackered or just flat because the bike hasn't been ridden frequently enough to charge it fully. Do you know how old the battery is? If it's more than a few years old, odds are it's a goner anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R6 Wilson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:07 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

As neil said, check the plug for a rich/lean mixture, maybe refer to this:

https://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm ?

How do you mean it is erratic when idling at 12-14? Do you mean struggling a bit or going a bit crazy?

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle speed for the CBR125 is 1400-1500. 1200 sounds a bit low, turn the idle screw up a bit.

Your battery sounds like it needs a good charge or may be knackered. Fully charged your battery should read around 13.2V. Battery voltage with the engine running and under charge from the charging system should read around 14V.

adamcfc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:38 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you know how old the battery is?

Unfortunately i dont, the bike was registered in 2004, I guess its ha a new one since then but that doesnt really mean anything.
I do know the bike hasnt/barely at all been ridden in the last 3 months or so.

Quote:
How do you mean it is erratic when idling at 12-14? Do you mean struggling a bit or going a bit crazy?

I mean it kind of turns over 5 times, then sounds like it misses a beat, or sounds like its going to stall but then sorts itself out again.

Quote:
Idle speed for the CBR125 is 1400-1500. 1200 sounds a bit low, turn the idle screw up a bit.

Can the idle speed change with engine temperature? e.g a set idle speed of 1500 might rise to 1700 after the biks is warm?
If so, do i set it to 1500 cold, or warm.

I will go and check the plug and air filter Smile

Thanks

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamcfc wrote:
Quote:

Can the idle speed change with engine temperature? e.g a set idle speed of 1500 might rise to 1700 after the biks is warm?
If so, do i set it to 1500 cold, or warm.

Yes the idle speed changes when the engine is warm. Set it once the engine has warmed up.

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug may also be so fouled up from running rich that it misses the odd spark and so the mixture doesn't ignite sometimes, hence 'missing a beat'. Give it a decent service. 3 months is also long enough for the battery to go flat if it hasn't been on a charger, so take the bike out for an hour or so blast or charge it up with a charger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

adamcfc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:21 - 31 Jul 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, took the air filter out, looks a bit grubby but nothing major. The spark plug tip was black, dry fouling by looking at the diagnosis link.

The idle speed it set slightly higher now, although still seems a bit erratic.

How do i make the mixture slightly leaner, is there a picture or diagram of the carb?

Adam

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 01 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust? The mixture screw is on the left hand side of the carb.

https://www.facebook.com/carl.simmonds.7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 01 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely to be a sticking choke. The choke on the little CBR is pants. If you leave it on after you've started the bike and the engine starts to warm up, as soon as the revs fall back to idle the engine will cut out.

Also he has no choice but to leave the lights on, there is no headlight switch on a CBR125. You switch the ignition on, the lights come on.
unitynotsocri... This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

adamcfc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:00 - 02 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the bike have an aftermarket exhaust? The mixture screw is on the left hand side of the carb.

Yes Carlos, it has a full Yoshimura system, absolutely massive Very Happy

Quote:
The choke on the little CBR is pants. If you leave it on after you've started the bike and the engine starts to warm up, as soon as the revs fall back to idle the engine will cut out.

I find the choke is awful on this, so its not just me? If i start the engine, then pull the choke out the bike just dies.

So, the mixture screw is on the left side of the carb? Is it easily distinguishable? I need to turn it IN to LEAN the mixture, i shall start with half a turn, other than checking for no backfires, how can i check the mixture will then be okay?

Also, with the battery, the bike hadnt run for a few months until the short ride from the sellers house back to mine. Once i got back i turned the ignition on to fix a sticking mainbeam switch, maybe this could've drained the last of the battery. I will leave it running for 10 mins and see how it goes from there.

Thanks Again, Adam

adamcfc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:54 - 02 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a picture of the bike:

And the Yoshimura system Smile

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 03 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamcfc wrote:
I find the choke is awful on this, so its not just me? If i start the engine, then pull the choke out the bike just dies.

Just use the choke if it's really cold to start the engine. Start on full choke, then push it back to 1/2 for a few mins. If the engine sounds like it's about to die push it off completely. If the revs are still a bit low like it's about to conk out, use the throttle and rev the engine with it.

I set my idle a bit high (1750-ish) in Winter as it's easier than pissing around with the above while your getting ready. Either that or start the engine on full choke, set off straight away at average revs (5500-6500), get 100 yards down the road and remember to take the choke off before the first junction, where if I haven't as soon as the revs fall back to idle the engine will cut out.

Otherwise don't bother with it. It's an ornament.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 248 days between these two posts...

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 08 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

unitynotsocrippledatmo wrote:
earth short from a live wire,Indicators with water in em can cause this fault.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I'm going mad over this!

So are you saying that an issue with water in the indicator (which makes sense in my situation) could somehow cause the battery not to be charged at 14 volts?

In my case it sometimes charges properly at 14 volts then for weeks it won't? I've changed the reg/rec, cleaned up a load of connnectors, charge the battery manually every night as the bike won't.

The charging problem happened right after I got new indicators put on by a mechanic... Coincidence?

Please help, I've got a alternator spare that I bought but if I can try all my other options first before having to put it in that would be better.

Losing sleep trying to work this out, I'd of just changed the alternator if it never charged the battery, but it has now and then so I'm inclined to believe it could be wiring or something?

Please help!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1