Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

removing baffles...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: removing baffles... Reply with quote

While going to a bike meet the other night I noticed a few of the bikers had removed the baffles from their bikes.

One of the guys said that a noisy bike is a safer bike (which I agree with).

Anyway, I have a couple of questions.

If I remove the baffles (I've been told it's just a couple of rivets that need drilled out), then decide later to put them back in, is it possible?

With the noisier exhaust, will I automatically get stopped by the police when they hear them?

Is there any power loss/gain on an XJ600, or will it cause any problems with the running of the bike?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:01 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's too noisy the old bill will nick you if they get the chance.
Mind you I've been riding with competition pipes for years & all I do is ride by the cops with a high gear & low RPM & they never seem to mind. My current bike has removable baffles in the BOS pipes, which of course I have removed & no one has complained yet & it passes the MOT too. Very Happy
If you drill out rivets to remove the baffles & you want to refit them at some point just pop rivet them back in again. Thumbs Up

philoldsmobil...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:51 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends a lot on the exhaust. my Ducati has removable baffles in the Scorpion pipes, they are secured with one allen screw (DB killer) the bike runs nicer without them, but it is quite loud.

if its something that needs rivets drilling out i'd not bother, as you don't know exactly what its going to do to the flow, if baffles are designed to be removable it is obvious. you may be able to just get a new end can with a DB killer in it, ebay is your friend for this

CB77
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to run with them in on my CBR600. With the baffles out it is painfully loud, and personally I think it sounds naff. May as well use a bit of drainpipe for an exhaust for all the sound dampening it does.

Unfortunately the bike came with the can fitted, and I haven't gotten round to fitting a quieter one (read OEM) yet. It's a CCC can, and lovely quality, just a bit too loud!

Don't forget it will fail an MOT if too loud, so get a spare one.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

CB77
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's down to the examiner I believe, and I sold a bike that had a road legal stamped can fail (after I sold it), so that's no guarantee of anything.

An exceptionally loud exhaust is just irritating. Yes, I suppose it is a safety feature in a strange way, but it won't stop it failing an MOT (at their discretion), nor getting you in trouble with the law should they see fit.

CB77
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's down to the examiner I believe, and I sold a bike that had a road legal stamped can fail (after I sold it), so that's no guarantee of anything.

An exceptionally loud exhaust is just irritating. Yes, I suppose it is a safety feature in a strange way, but it won't stop it failing an MOT (at their discretion), nor getting you in trouble with the law should they see fit.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was a copper, I would stop every bastard scooter that had a aftermarket can on....regardless of 4t or 2t, there is nothing attractive about the fucking silly noise they make.

I ride with a standard can on my CB1 but thats only because it sounds gorgeous with a standard can (quite possibly, the best sounding bike as standard). But when I do ride with a race can, I ride in town, respecting the fact people do live right beside the road.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find anything on what it will sound like with the baffles out and I'd like to know that if I take them out I can put them back just as easily.

As for the MOT, as a local bike shop said 'have you heard the noise that some Harley's make.... there's nothing wrong with that exhaust'

The exhaust in question was rotted away on the lower pipe and the crossover had snapped off one of the pipes.

I think I'll wait till after my test to take the baffles out, not sure the examiner would be too happy with it with the baffles removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 5 years, 318 days between these two posts...

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread for good old google purposes.

Anyone got any advise on how to partly remove the baffles on an xj600?

I remember Pol/crippletron said he whacked some sort of garden spike into his (when he had it) to make it sound good. I wouldn't want to fully remove the baffles as it would be too loud.

So Far I've drilled around the exit hole but nothing else, I've got a feeling I need to drill out the spot welds on the side then weld them back up again but would be good if someone else could confirm what they've done.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1