Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New exhaust and end can joining.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 17:34 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: New exhaust and end can joining. Reply with quote

Hello, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me with this...

How do I seal an end can to the exhaust? I have the 2 new parts but they aren't welded together or anything and they come apart. I assume they can't just be put together as they are.

Also, I've been told to get the Jets changed for putting it on. Then when I asked the guy in the bike shop today he was told by the manufacturer of the system to leave it as it is. It's an 'Arrow' exhaust for a 'NSR125R'. Anyone shed any light there?

Just got my bike Serviced and new chain and sprockets fitted, so today seems like a good day to derestrict the thing.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate how you doing?

Sounds strange that it came in bits. From all the pictures of Arrow and Jolly Moto exhausts for the NSR they seem to come as a complete unit, just like standard one. Sorry can't offer more help.

Maybe just get local garage to weld it?

Let us know how you get on.
Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 17:46 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it used rather than buying it new. Doesn't look like it's ever been welded together but they do fit together quite tight. I don't want to go ahead and just put it on incase it should be welded.

rossi_46
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:39 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i sold him this exhaust, i had it on my NSR125r, this is the correct one for his bike.

I suspect the reason for the end can being separate is because you can get a replacement end can, crash damage and the like.

To seal the exhaust, i used that thin tape that when heats up, it forms a seal, cant remember whats its called, but does the job.

On the jetting side of things, at your own risk, put the exhaust on, and not jet it.

I would recommend that you do, get a dyno session booked, to have her running sweet.

Honda supplied me with this system, and they told me, that it didn't say to jet it, but when i rang every where else they all said , you don't jet it, it will blow.

I also got the power valve to open a bit later, which worked down a treat.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 21:45 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some good info. Thanks. Do you remember what jet size you used when you had it fitted?

Anyone know the name of that seal tape is that Rossi_46 mentioned?

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossi_46 wrote:

Honda supplied me with this system, and they told me, that it didn't say to jet it, but when i rang every where else they all said , you don't jet it, it will blow.

I had a Nikon exhaust on mine, didnt jet it at all, twas fine. The pipe was on the for at least 6 1/2 7 thousand miles.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:31 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be wrong but I don't suppose re-jetting would really matter on a 125 would it?

It's not like it's high tech engineering or anything.....

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 04:53 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff about it blowing is pretty bo*locks I think.
The manufacturers would say it needed jetting if it really did or everyone would sue them for damage caused to their bikes, makes sense?

There might be a very slight beneficial gain to re-jetting it.......but that gain is about the same as you would get from the aftermarket exhaust anyway....... i.e 1/5th of fu*k all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:39 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

25hp from a 125... so that's 200hp per litre.... F1 cars that rev to 18k rpm with all sorts of fancy bits only make a bit under 300hp per litre I believe Smile. (Okay it's not that complex engineering, but it relativly a pretty highly tuned engine, so things like jetting etc can make a fair bit of difference if you do lots of other little bits.

The majority of full systems are designed to work best with rejetting at least. Even with an end can it's usually best to get some work done to make full use of it anyway.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 12:26 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also stripped my bike down just now and I was about to take out the Intake Restrictor. Should I take it out now or should I wait till I can get the new exhaust on? The original one is still restricted.

p.s. that little tray thing will NOT tilt back! Mad Any tips?

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:30 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take it out you may aswell my restrictors are coming out today.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:55 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, on the subject of rejetting, if you don't rejet you might run dangerously lean and then your engine will seize...

2 strokes are actually MORE tempramental as far as that stuff goes than 4 strokes. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rossi_46
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:03 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Might be wrong but I don't suppose re-jetting would really matter on a 125 would it?

It's not like it's high tech engineering or anything.....

Mark

I knew two other people at the time on nsr's, and they as well put Arrow Systems on, they didn't see two months before it gave up.

Then Honda argued with them allot that is was your idea to go for a Arrow, it was as if they where saying, Arrow systems are no good.

At the end of the day, they got there bikes fixed under warranty, standard systems back on.

I think you bike is a 1998 coming from the paintjob, you want to make sure the jetting is fine because you don't really have warranty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as the RS50 arrow exhaust, the reason why i didnt get it. The RS125 and Mito got a new bigger exhaust system Confused .

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:13 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossi_46 wrote:
Then Honda argued with them allot that is was your idea to go for a Arrow, it was as if they where saying, Arrow systems are no good.

I am surprised Honda would touch it under warrenty. If you install a different exhaust and do not set it up correctly then it is quite likely to suffer major problems. Honda probably spent quite a bit of time coming up with the jetting to run safely with the standard system, and it is unlikely that the standard jetting would work with an aftermarket system.

It is not really any different from expecting Honda to cough up for repairs after someone runs their bike out of 2 stroke oil. It is user error.

All the best

Keith

rossi_46
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, kickstart, when this happened to the two other nsr's , they came to me, and said would i go up to the dealer with them, if there bike blew up, and mine didn't , i could maybe show them the difference on the dyno report.

The Honda dealer was not looking to fix it for them, but, when I showed them Dyno graph before the jetting took place, it was running lean, and the after which the jet change took place, was fine , a nice clean line.

At the end of the day, there Honda book said no jetting was required, which if was true, the problems would not of been caused.

Apart from this , Honda aren't stupid with things, I love Hondas to bits, hence i've always had a Honda of some sort.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:50 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossi_46 wrote:
The Honda dealer was not looking to fix it for them, but, when I showed them Dyno graph before the jetting took place, it was running lean, and the after which the jet change took place, was fine , a nice clean line.

Honda themselves can quite happily say get stuffed under UK law. For a start the bike was being worked on by a non Honda dealer.

rossi_46 wrote:
At the end of the day, there Honda book said no jetting was required, which if was true, the problems would not of been caused.

But Honda do not sell the Arrow exhaust, and have nothing to do with Arrow. The dealer might sell them, and might have a catalogue but that is nothing to do with Honda.

All the best

Keith

rossi_46
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:00 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the only one that went to a non-honda dealer, because there isn't a Honda dealer in Northern Ireland with a dyno, belive it or not.

I went to Philip mc Callum, you may of heard of him, had
a good dyno, does a top job.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:12 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled out what should be the intake restrictor. I'm not sure though. I've got down to the place where it was meant to be but instead of a plate being there with a circle hole in it, there's this pyramid type thingy I've pulled out with 6 white flexible plastic bits on it. What the hell is that?

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 14:15 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, that's the reed block... put it back!

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:16 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it'd be something like that.... Confused Where should the intake restrictor be in relation to that?

rossi_46
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:20 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best resource to look at , shows what plate you need to take out.

https://www.nsr125.com/derestrict.htm

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:23 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i've been working from, but that plate isn't there. The first thing I came to was the reed block. The reed block hole seems to get smaller towards the end like it has the restrictor built into it. Is that just normal? Does it appear to be derestricted there already then?

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 14:35 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plate isn't there then it isn't there... The reed block is supposed to be that shape and the white plastic piece isn't a restrictor, it serves to smooth the flow of air.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:37 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Thanks for the help on that one. On to the exhaust now.... Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2