Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please settle this arguement!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Please settle this arguement! Reply with quote

V simple question this. What max bhp can a 19 yr old have on a provisional? No-one can give me a straight answer. I think it's 14.6 bhp but all the articles I read contradict themselves. Please tell me b4 I go nuts. Thanks Confused

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

legally i think it's somewhere around 12hp

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:02 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

14.6bhp.

Although I'm not sure why you care because 1 or 2 bhp will not make any difference to a 125...

most bikes are restricted to 12bhp because the law used to be 12bhp. Now its 14.6 but I doubt that you'd really notice the difference! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought so, but read somewhere and was told it was 33hp, but didnt believe it!

Thanks dude Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:07 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 33bhp when you have a full licence where the test was taken on a 125. After two years this 33bhp restriction ends.

If you are over 21 you can take a test on a bike that makes between 46 and 50bhp (usually a 500cc twin) and directly get a full unrestricted license. This is known as direct access or DAS.

On a provisional you are only allowed a 50cc restricted to 30mph when 16 and a 125 restricted to 14.6bhp when 17 or above.

Hope that clears it all up. Thumbs Up Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers marjay, it does. Took my test on a cb500, so fully licensed now, but my brother passed cbt today and wasn't sure what is limit was. Once again thanks \m/

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 20:56 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
If you are over 21 you can take a test on a bike that makes between 46 and 50bhp (usually a 500cc twin) and directly get a full unrestricted license.

Sorry mate, but its actually gotta be on a bike that makes at least 46. No upper power limit so in theory a Turbo-Busa is ok for your DAS test. Shocked

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:20 - 28 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

Sorry mate, but its actually gotta be on a bike that makes at least 46. No upper power limit so in theory a Turbo-Busa is ok for your DAS test. Shocked

Don't be sorry, I thought that might be the case but I was erring on the side of sensible. (and thinking about the power of a GS500E Smile )

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up untill relatively recently you could ride a 250 on a c.b.t. my dad had one for years, in fact i think you could ride pretty much anything sometime before without a full licence..
I honestly think learners would be ALLOT safer with 250s than 125's they are truly frightening things in my opinion, not enough weight keeping you on the road (though i'm ok due to the ballast.. Confused ) and struggle to keep up on some roads (such as those featuring hills).
Anyways hope you both have fun Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:03 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

CBT came out about a decade ago. The 250cc learner law was replaced with the 125cc / 12hp learner law about 20 years ago (except for Northern Ireland where it only changed in 1996 I think).

All the best

Keith

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 12:10 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:

But there is a limit on engine size AFAIK.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:23 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 13:29 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

CBT came out about a decade ago.

It was at least 12 years ago. I did my first CBT when I was 16 on my RD50 Wink .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1