Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Jobs in the bike industry.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Jobs in the bike industry. Reply with quote

I've decided this year I'm going to stop being a muppet and finally quit work, I've never been happy there and they eventually changed my job description down to being administrator over the past 6 months. I'm not happy with that, and they don't pay me enough and the work is boring.

I have no idea what I want to do, so after some advice really. What sort of jobs are there in the bike industry? Other than courier (can't do that because I'll never get insured and I can get lost in Sainsbury car park Laughing ), I've thought about sales person at a bike shop, but doesn't really suit me.

I want a career with prospects, a future and hopefully well paid!But obviously have to start at the bottom first as usual.

So, any ideas what there is available? And any web sites of job listings specifically for bike industry jobs? I can't find the job section on MCN last time I looked.

P.s. I don't fancy being a mechanic or anything. I can't draw or anything so anything to do with bike design isn't going to happen.

Cheers.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than getting an office job with one of the manafactures I can't think of much. And other than the fact you're working for Honda or whatever it's likely to be just as good or bad as any other job. Penny Coin Penny Coin
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Ste, Other than design, factory or administrative jobs (or sales) there ain't a lot in the bike industry.

Plus I find, working in the Broadcast industry , that I now hate television and radio. I could see that happening with bikes too.

Instead of, "Whoah, there goes a bike!"

You'll be "Whoah there goes my job..."

Don't do it. Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem I've always had, and still have now, is I really have no idea what I want to do. I have nothing to aim for so am currently just lazily stuck at my current job. I've been saying for the past 6 months that I want to leave Laughing

Think I'll keep an eye around the job section of newspapers and see if anything of interest catches my eye.

I guess I'd like to work in IT/web design, but that is a dieing market these days I think, far too many people doing it and the pay has just dropped now unless your a lucky one-man-band getting some decent jobs in.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there ain't much in the way of bike related jobs around, unless you want to work as a mechanic, or for a Dealer, i.e salesman, admin, or similar. It very hard to find jobs that are well paid as well as being motivating, and having decent prospects, and future. Bike journalism is also very hard to get into. I imaging that the coolest jobs in motorcycling would be working for firms that build specials,aftermarket components, race bike tuning, or custom fabrication of specialist parts. i'm thinking firms like Harris, Maxton, TTS, JPH, Spondon, JMC, Straightline racing, Big CC, Mr turbo etc etc. All these are technical specialist engineering roles that many of us would never be able to get into. For me i would personally love to work at Puma Racing, and id love to be involved in the machining of big blocks of steel and Alloy that you know would eventually be helping to propel a guy down the 1/4 mile at obscene speeds, and that the parts your making would be having to cope with around 1000bhp or more. I would think that would be pretty satisfying to know that your components are helping people to set records, and have a reputation for excellent engineering, and being able to cope with more stress than almost anything you can imagine.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jon
Anyone for donuts?



Joined: 28 Oct 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 29 Feb 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very unlikely you'll get a job specifically in the bike publishing sector as a designer/web designer.

Best thing to do is start off as a junior design assistant with a magazine (for emap, spl, etc.) in anything available, even if it's Garden, Trains, DVD magazine, and so on. This way you can move to a bike magazine (if they do one) when a position is available.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.91 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 50.82 Kb