Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What protective gear can I skimp on and what can't I?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Germ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: What protective gear can I skimp on and what can't I? Reply with quote

I've got a Shoei Raid II helmet (brand new in the box for £75) but I'll be needing everything else.

I'm wondering which bits you can save some cash on and which you can't?

Prices of gear has rocketted since I was last riding,companies have come and gone and reputations/build quality may have changed.

I always had a soft spot for Dainese and my last 1 piece set probably saved my life but I just can't afford their prices .

I was thinking about Scott or Wolf leather jacket and pants (2 piece or anything to zip together) I'd like to spend no more than £250 for the 2 if possible or should I just consider brand X?
Armour inserts for knees,hips,elbows (not sure about back) hoping to pay about £40 - £60.

Boots,always loved Alpine Stars but again prices making me look elsewhere.Need size 13 boots and would prefer to be under £100 but could be persuaded to go to £150.Or should I just say screw it and buy a good pair of para boots?

Gloves....not really looked tbh but I'm sure I can get a fairly decent pair for £30 to £40 (or am I kidding myself?).

Is that everything covered apart from thermal underwear and maybe windproof shirt?Should I spend more in one area and a little less in another?

Any help with advice or links to sales etc would be great,thanks,
Ian.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you worth?

The thing with gear is like condoms. You would rather not need to use them but just in case they are handy to have.

Helmet is the only thing you really need and providing it fits correctly you've done all you need to do legally.

As for the rest, Like I said at the start, how much do you believe your worth?

I try not to need my gear but I have spent around £500 in the last few years building up the gear and thats cheap. But I hope I never have to call it into action.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Germ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I kinda spent £1.5k more on my bike than I was intending,think I may have got a bit carried away but what's done is done.It's worth every penny I think which is why I went for it.

There's loads I'd like to have but realistically I've got about £400 - £500 to spend (including the £75 for the lid I already have).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:38 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky recomends a set of textiles.

If your not a brand snob you can pick up a set, top and bottoms, for around £100. They all have CE armour in the right places and will keep you warm and dry when it comes to winter. Most also have zip out inners so you dont bake when you wear them over your clothes.

Boots. Wear a pair of DMs or something simelar. Everyone and their dog these days have a pair of boots. Nothing wrong with using them until you get yourself a biking pair.

Gloves. Get yourself some all weather gloves. Might roast during the summer but at winter times you'll not need to splash out.

Could be all done on your budget quite easily if you dont stick to popular brands. The stuff I wear seems every bit as good as the branded makes. (I just try really hard not to fall off, which oddly enough is what branded bike wear bikers do also)
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ajbsmirnoff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to have it and not need it - than need it and not have it.

Pinkster is giving the good advice. Boots with some ankle protection, knee armour, and a nice jacket with armour. Budget textiles shouldn't be too pricey. Bike shops have sales !!

On the glove note, I've still not replaced the cheapass summer gloves - I bought, which I've been supplementing with a pair of fleece inner gloves when its cold. A £20 bargain.

If you do wear DMs, make sure the lace loops from your bows won't snag on the foot pegs when you bring your foot up as you pull away. Its really hard to change gear when it happens. How you'll laugh - I did.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

crackfinder
Crazy Courier



Joined: 05 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:02 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hein Gericke do there own brand of clothing, boots and gloves at not too expensive prices, and there is cheaper stuff around, I paid £60 for my first pair of textile trousers and they had removable thermal liner and ce approved knee armour, boots were £70, cheap gloves were £20.
I have slightly upgraded my kit now but it takes time and I have no big name brands,
there are plenty of good deals on new gear on ebay,
Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha FZS600 Fazer (gone but not forgotten). Current - Kawasaki ZX6R A1P
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulington
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple question can be answered with a simple response:

You CANNOT skimp on ANY gear.

The rule with gear is to buy the very best you can afford as you are protecting yourself.

Just like I see people who have a £6000 motorcycle with £5000 of modifications, gear worth £1500 or more and then they buy a helmet for £45 from a cheapy shop. It's flabbergasting. Shocked.

Spend on your gear what you think you're worth.
____________________
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
Current Vehicles: '89 Kawasaki KDX200, '99 Yamaha XV535, '00 Honda ST1100 Pan-European, '08 Suzuki GSX-R1000, '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GS4 2.0 TDCi, '15 BMW 1 Series 116d Sport Turbo.
CBT: 27/08/08. Theory: 04/09/09. Module 1: 16/09/09. Module 2: 01/10/09.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Muscle Bike Rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:40 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinks has it spot on, textiles and you cant go wrong, easily pick up a cheap heavy winter jacket, a lighter summer jacket and trousers which all will have removable lining. Gloves you can either get a pair of winter and a pair of summer or just opt for one all weather pair, ebay is good for bargains and keep an eye on the for sale section here, I like many others here often offer gear not used anymore very cheap or for postage costs only to help out folk starting out. Dont be afraid of buying used gear off ebay, not helmets though, as there is some good bargans to be had.
____________________
Previously Known As A5tra_G
Old Bikes :2010 Kawasaki ER6 F & 2000 Honda VTR Firestorm
Current Bike : XJR1300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Eas85
Nova Slayer



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of getting a two piece textile suit from what i've read here, plus i'm gonna have a pretty low budget. Found this set on ebay, is it any good for protection and value for money?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-Protective-Motorbike-Motorcycle-2-PC-TEXTILE-SUIT-/120384271616?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Clothing&hash=item1c07763500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacket: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOR-BIKE-JACKET-CORDURA-JACKET-WATER-PROOF-/250817295663?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D220734828335%252B220734828335%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2179083537447650951


Trousers: https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280668474848&var=580030271865&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649


Some gear can be found cheaply Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Moxey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 19 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN skimp on gear if you choose but note that its a risk to yourself, its more important you ride sensibly and safely ultimately though (IMO).

Personal order of importance of gear from highest to lowest.
1. Helmet
2. Gloves
3. Jacket
4. Boots
5. Trousers

The only 2 of those I ever go without on a ride are 4 and 5 usually short distance or town riding (still wear appropriate footwear mind), as for brands though I'd think you'd be able to get quite abit for under £250, try looking at Spada, RK sports and the like you should find some good gear for low price.
____________________
Current: 02 FZS 1000 & 91 Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Some Bike Pics...
'I was too busy paying attention to pay attention'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lyam
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:12 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

use shops like hein gericke for sizes then buy the gear on ebay i got 600 pound arlen ness 2 peice suit for 220 from ebay, also sidi boots for 65 on ebay, alpine stars sp2 gloves 50 from ebay, furygan 2 peice textile suit 80 from ebay, only new stuff i got was my two helmets
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

BigGeeking
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont skimp mate
just get the best you can afford if it takes a little longer then so be it.

but if you cant wait then have a look on ebay thay tend to be people who buy loads of good bike kit fail there test the give up Rolling Eyes

or you can take that pill that makes your skin like kevalar you know the one i mean its the one people take who ride in shorts and t-shirts Mr. Green
____________________
Bendy "Flip front. I can filter down the M4 while shoving a Twix in my face."
honda CG 125 2001 SOLD-- current Bandit 400--SOLD. current SV650s 2000
MOD 1 ON 20/7/2011**passed** MOD 2 ON 17/10/2011***passed***,,
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Germ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

divetime wrote:
or you can take that pill that makes your skin like kevalar you know the one i mean its the one people take who ride in shorts and t-shirts Mr. Green


I'm allergic to those pills.They bring me out in the night terrors Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:16 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for eBay. I've seen high end "barely used" gear go for a fraction of its sticker price. You do need to be patient, and not get caught up in a bidding war.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flamzypants
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get everything, I didn't bother with boots and it woulda saved me a broken toe >_<
____________________
CBT - 30/06/11. RIP Sinnis Stealth 18/07/11. Theory passed! CBR125R 16/08/12. Mod 1 Booked.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:41 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £500 you should be able to get plenty, especially if you avoid the likes of Alpinestars and Dainese etc.

Someones already mentioned HG. Maybe go down to one of their stores and see what their own brand gear is like and get a price reference. Ive used Richa leathers in the past and Ive had them recommended to me. I read an interview with a courier who had reportedly covered the most miles in the UK and he said he found they lasted well and very good value. You should be able to get a two piece set for somewhere around £250, they do gloves aswell. Cant really help you on boots though!
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kingley
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look online at https://www.ghostbikes.com/ You'll find everything you need there at a cheap price.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this seller (I believe of returned items)

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/Raw-Biker-Shop?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I have bought 2 jackets and a pair of trousers from him so far and struggled to find any fault in the items, also never pay the buy it now price, offer 10% less Thumbs Up Wink
____________________
The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Germ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs Benedict wrote:
Try this seller (I believe of returned items)

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/Raw-Biker-Shop?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I have bought 2 jackets and a pair of trousers from him so far and struggled to find any fault in the items, also never pay the buy it now price, offer 10% less Thumbs Up Wink


Nice tip,I always click the buy now if it's there and I want it now.

I'm almost certain I'm gonna just get a pair of para boots....Israeli army if I can find them,if not it'll be German.
Should be fine and you can have them resoled if memory serves me right.
That way I can spend a little more and maybe get a summer and a winter set of outer clothing.
I'm awfy tempted by the £300 2 piece Wolf leathers I saw in Custom Lids the other week but we'll see how finances stretch Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RRabeni
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulington wrote:
A simple question can be answered with a simple response:

You CANNOT skimp on ANY gear.

The rule with gear is to buy the very best you can afford as you are protecting yourself.

Just like I see people who have a £6000 motorcycle with £5000 of modifications, gear worth £1500 or more and then they buy a helmet for £45 from a cheapy shop. It's flabbergasting. Shocked.

Spend on your gear what you think you're worth.


Dear God! In one thread you detail the reasons of time Vs speed & why it's a waste of time, now we CANNOT skimp on gear?

Why do you ride a bike? Stay in, wrap up nice and cosy in cotton wool (remember to test it on a patch of skin first to make sure you're not allergic...).

Amazes me how so many bang on about kit, but haven't done any further training.

Buy a lid that fits, pair of gloves and a pair of boots. You'll soon realise you need more stuff. If not for protection, just to keep warm and dry. You also realise that leathers are great, until you have to go somewhere on foot, then you look like a knob wandering the streets looking like a chimp or a fettish queen, so now textiles are required to make the bike a useable form of transport. Summer gloves, winter gloves. Summer boots, winter boots. Cold weather kit, warm weather kit. Dry kit, kit to go over dry kit incase it rains, it just keeps on rolling on. You'll judge well enough yourself once you've wasted money on cheap nasty stuff. (Good bargain's are not included in that, a good bargain is a good bargain!)

Protective kit is good, and personally I have it and use it most of the time. Training is also money well spent.

However, you don't need to spend £900 on a rukka suit, when a £300 RST with a waterproof oversuit will keep you warm and dry. Won't have the same brag factor, but who gives a shit?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Germ
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:04 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a superb bib and overjacket fisherman's green rubber waterproof thing I nicked off me dad.I may have looked a tit in it but I got everywhere dry as a bone.Wish I knew where the hell that suit has gone cos it was big enough to wear over my leathers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spada are getting some decent reviews and prices are good. I bought a pair of their trousers just over a year ago and rate them. Will probably look at more Spada stuff when I need more gear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 20 Aug 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can skimp or spend as much or as little as you like. Price does not equal safety. Not falling off is the best protection.

Start cheap til you work out what you'll actually wear. Second hand is awesome. Plenty of stuff out there that people found was too much hassle to bother with, so are selling.

For the record, I didn't purchase any kit apart from a helmet and a pair of cheap gloves for the first three years of my riding career. Apart from being cold, wet and miserable fairly regularly it didn't do me any harm to 'skimp'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 133.99 Kb