Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Complete Numpty asking a question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 01 Mar 2004    Post subject: Complete Numpty asking a question Reply with quote

Okay, I am probably going to be shot down in flames by the regulars on here for asking such questions, but if you don't ask, you don't know.
So here goes.

I've been reading bike media for a few months while searching for a bike after passing my test and have heard a few things that I now want to question. These are the following.

What are 'rearsets'?
What are Huggers? I believe they cover the shock/spring, but am I wrong? What is their purpose?
What are Scottoilers (For the chain and sprockets I'm guessing) and are they any good/worth fitting?

Okay, I'm quite prepared to have the piss ripped out of me for asking these things. Off you all go.

Confused Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:47 - 01 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearsets. These are the bits you put your feet on. People change them from the original ones because you can get adjustable lighter ones, so you can get more clearance in the corners and a better riding position. Like these.

A hugger is a basically a mudguard. It goes round the bit of the back wheel which is pointing towards the bike. They are used for tarty reasons, and it stops crap getting all over your expensive suspension and engine stuff. Like this.

Scottoiler have a read of this.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:47 - 01 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Complete Numpty asking a question Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:

What are 'rearsets'?
What are Huggers? I believe they cover the shock/spring, but am I wrong? What is their purpose?
What are Scottoilers (For the chain and sprockets I'm guessing) and are they any good/worth fitting?

Rearsets are poncey pegs. People generally fit them to improve the ground clearance of the bike when leaning. Or because they're tarts.

A hugger if essentially a mudguard for your back wheel. Stops shite getting flung up into your shock.

A Scottoiler is an automatic chain lubricater that uses engine air to gently drip oil onto your chain as you ride along. A good thing if you're as lazy as me. Thumbs Up

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:49 - 01 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr, lost the simultaneous post race by mere miliseconds.

/me blames crappy work connection Razz

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 18:52 - 01 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Complete Numpty asking a question Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:

A device to drip chain lube onto the chain, saving you from having to lube it. Here is a nice diagram of how they work. Worthwhile if you use your bike a lot / in crap weather.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:56 - 01 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but a rearset is surely only an aftermarket peg?
Because it is 'set' 'rear' from the original ones. Rearsets can also improve your riding position by putting more weight over the front of the bike, so giving better front end traction, better aerodynamics and riding position for accelerating.

Oh yea... they also tend to have a big blob on the end, which means they won't insert themselves through your leg so easily, though are more likley to make a mess if they do Smile.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 01 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
So, I'm guessing that (as I'm old) that rearsets is just a posh, 'tarty' word for footpegs?? Rolling Eyes Christ, I didn't think I was that much older... Wink

Will be following the links through and taking a look.

Cheers Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1