45%
 45%  [ 64 ]
Bike on stand
54%
 54%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 140

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:38 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Filling up whilst sitting on your bike Reply with quote

Hi

Just continuing from the recent thread of removing your lid when going into petrol stations. I read somewhere recently that it is illegal (or going to be, not sure) to fill up your bike whilst sitting on it. I do this all the time, and no one has ever said anything!

Apparently it is dangerous to do this, as they say you do not have control of the bike, and are more likely to cause spillages. Bull! How many car drivers spill half a litre down the side of their car when removing the hose!!!?

The thing I find rather amusing, is the fact that this type of rubbish is usually thought of by men in suits, behind desks (probably from Brussels), who don't have a clue what they are talking about. Any biker knows that you can never fill your bike right up properly whilst its on its side stand, hence the reason we fill up while sitting on the bike, holding it upright.

The answer these bell ends have given to the problem? Get a pillion to hold\sit the bike upright while you fill it!!! That's no joke, I honestly read that somewhere, and if I could remember where,I'd tell you because it certainly gave me a laugh.

What they do not realise though, is that if you can't fill your bike right up, you then need to visit the garage more often, and by going to fill up more often, you are increasing the chance of spillage!!! Crazy!!!

What next eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 02:49 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get off my bike when i fill up. The main reasons are that i have more control over where the petrol goes, and if i do spill any, at least i don't spill it on my nuts.

Imagine if i did that, I'd stop for a quick fag break and Great balls 'o Fire! Laughing

I do admit that I can never fill the tank properly when the bike's leaning on its stand.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:55 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the same reasons as NSR-kid because that would suck big time! Smile

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:06 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't fill yer bike without spillage, I would not like to see the mess you make whilst.....you know Laughing taking a piss
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:23 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always fill the bike up on the stand, don't fancy the idea of the bike falling over with you sitting on it and the petrol cap open.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:46 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fill it up whilst sitting on it. It's easier to ride off without paying that way Wink Mr. Green

Seriously though, I do normally fill up whilst sitting on the bike, as I can see how much is in there easily and you can get a bit more in. And it's quicker Smile

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always sit on the bike to fill it up. As Ste said it's easier to see how much is in there and you can fill it fuller. I'm not keen on filling up often so the more I can fit in the better.

I put the side stand down when I pull up and the ignition key sits in the cap whilst I'm there, just to give em the idea I'm not about to ride off. Also if I do drop the bugger I'll try and make it to the left onto the stand.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 10:40 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you drop your bike when you're stopped at traffic lights? Not very often is the porbable answer. So why should sitting at a petrol pump be any different. I always stay on the bike to do it.

Lets face it - if you can't sit on the bike and keep it upright you shouldn't be on the road.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Lets face it - if you can't sit on the bike and keep it upright you shouldn't be on the road.

Enough said I think!

Adam

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:21 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's far more likely that there's slippy diesel on the ground at a petrol station, so I'd say you are more likely to drop it sitting there than sitting at traffic lights.

I get off. Don't see the point in sitting on it to fill up when I'm going to have to get off to pay anyway.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:38 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I fill the bike up while sitting on it. If I didn't then the amount of fuel I would land up avoiding putting in would probably be enough to stop me doing 3 return trips to work. That basically would mean filling up every 2 days rather than every 3 days. Depending on the shape of the petrol tank it can make a hell of a difference to the capacity.

If I am standing with my legs still straddling the bike then I can easily gently shake the bike from side to side to help any trapped air out of the tank.

I don't think there is any law about it, although some garage chains tried claiming there was. One of those things where the BMF actually got listened to when telling them to stop being so stupid.

All the best

Keith

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 12:20 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us with smaller tanks do need to have the bike level to get a decent amount of petrol in. It makes a huge difference.

I normally whack the side stand down while I'm reaching for the pump, then bring the bike level to fill it (but then I'm short). I can see how much petrol is going in and how close to full the tank is - that way I spill much less because I can stop fuelling in time before it overflows.

Also, I think bikers are less likely to cause a spillage because generally we're more concerned about the state of the paint on our bikes than car drivers are. I've seen so many people overfill their cars and watch the fuel pour down the side and not even bat an eyelid. Rolling Eyes

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What utter rot

It can only make an eggcup full of difference and the risk of soaking your spuds in petrol is just not worth it. Shocked

Besides, what do you do when it comes to paying, put the bike on it's sidestand and walk to the kiosk so all that carefully squeezed in extra egg cup full goes down the overflow drain as the bike leans over again and then what happens, you ride over it and get a smear of petrol on your rear tyre

not worth it, put it on the stand and be done with it Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:56 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr C wrote:
It can only make an eggcup full of difference and the risk of soaking your spuds in petrol is just not worth it. Shocked

Hi

Depends on the bike. Generally makes around a litres difference (so enough for about 10 miles generally). On the old Aprilias careful filling up made getting on for a gallon of difference due to the shape and length of the filler neck. The breather was in the cap so the fuel did not squeeze out either. The FZ750 has quite an odd shape tank, and the last inch or so that you fill it up has a massive difference as that section of the tank is over twice the size (the front of the tank goes over the top of the airbox), and you can get even move in if you position the bike so that it is pointing slightly down hill. I have never had fuel squeeze out of that when filling it that way either.

The only bike which did tend to push stuff out of the overflow was the old Aprilia AF1 Futura.

One thing I really would like for a bike used for commuting to work is a better tank range. The Bandit managed about 185 miles safely, while the FZ750 and the GPZ500 both manage around 210~220. A 300 mile range would be nice, but the only bike that seems to manage that is an ST1100 (excluding various off road bikes which I would need a step ladder to ride).

All the best

Keith

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err no. Might come flooding out of your Ninja but it has never poured out of the overflow on my current bike or previous bikes. I like to see how much petrol is going into the tank as I fill it rather than it blissfully swirling around the tank until it forces the pump off spraying it everywhere.

As for risking spraying your spuds with petrol, if someone can't sit on the thing to fill it up without spilling petrol everywhere, what difference do you think standing next to the bike and doing the same thing is going to make? Rolling Eyes

G1_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in SA (mainly to maximise job creation) you get employed people to fill the bike/car up for you. All you have to do is sit there and give him the money when he's finished. This also means that you don't waste time going inside to pay!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:28 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
I like to see how much petrol is going into the tank as I fill it rather than it blissfully swirling around the tank until it forces the pump off spraying it everywhere.

I can see how much is going in when standing next to the bike and looking. I don't see how sitting on the bike makes any difference there. Fill it until the pump clicks off, then shift the nozzle up a bit and pay attention as you fill it right up to the brim.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit on the bike, with the stand down - that way I can see how much is going in. I don't like filling it to the max as I feel it makes the bike unstable when the tank is full to the brim. I did get 'told off' once by the local garage owner but to be honest I think it is a matter of preference as to whether you stand or sit! I'd have hoped our legislators had more pressing matters than to pass laws on whether motorcyclists should stand when putting in £10 worth of petrol!

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
I think it is a matter of preference as to whether you stand or sit!

there is also a man/woman thing going on here as well Laughing Laughing

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 13:37 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm. Either. Depends on the mood I'm in or if I have a tank bag on. makes feckall difference really as you have to get off the bike anyways

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

I can see how much is going in when standing next to the bike and looking. I don't see how sitting on the bike makes any difference there. Fill it until the pump clicks off, then shift the nozzle up a bit and pay attention as you fill it right up to the brim.

Might work that way on a CBR6, but on an 02 Blade where the tank is sculpted over and around the airbox, you have to turn the pump in and under the top of the tank. Otherwise it hits the hump in the tank and sprays everywhere. Once it's tucked in and active, it starts swirling nice and quickly around the tank and if you wait for it to click off it sprays petrol everywhere. Being a short arse I can see where the level of the petrol is in the tank easier if I'm looking down over it too.

As Keith says, if you sit on the bike you can fit more in the tank and it's easier to rock the tank to get the trapped air out.

Jimmy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:46 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as Demonic69, sat on the bike if no tankbag and stood at the side of the bike if there is a tankbag.

Maybe I'm just lazy!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 16:21 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I get off. Don't see the point in sitting on it to fill up when I'm going to have to get off to pay anyway.

I agree with bendy, to be honest I don’t really care about the cup full of petrol I’m missing out on as I always fill up as soon as I hit reserve anyway.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 20:58 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who gives a toss anyway?

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 03 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, on the SR i'm not sure, but I always put the AR on the center stand, just because it's very light so easy to do, and I'm used to it. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6