Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filling up whilst sitting on your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

How do you fill up?
Sitting on bike
45%
 45%  [ 64 ]
Bike on stand
54%
 54%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 140

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
You seem to be arguing just for the crack now...

obviously arriving and putting a foot down is less likely to cause a slip than balancing the bike with no hands on the brakes and also messing around with a fuel hose.

At least come up with something believable!

I've seen at least 3 people drop their bikes whilst coming to a stop and putting their foot down, I've never seen anyone drop their bike whilst fuelling up on the bike

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. That's me told then. Proven beyond all doubt now. Rolling Eyes

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:00 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always fill up sitting on the bike, holding it upright. Usually it's a pay at the pump station so no need to get off the bike at all, and no need to remove helmet.

I don't accept there's even a "tiny tiny tiny" increased risk of dropping the bike. If the floor's that slippery it's dangerous holding the bike up with both wheels and both feet on the ground then firstly I'll find that out as soon as I stop whether I intended getting off or not. Secondly if it's that slippery and I didn't notice I'd probably come a cropper getting off or back on.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Always fill up sitting on the bike, holding it upright. Usually it's a pay at the pump station so no need to get off the bike at all, and no need to remove helmet.

I don't accept there's even a "tiny tiny tiny" increased risk of dropping the bike. If the floor's that slippery it's dangerous holding the bike up with both wheels and both feet on the ground then firstly I'll find that out as soon as I stop whether I intended getting off or not. Secondly if it's that slippery and I didn't notice I'd probably come a cropper getting off or back on.

Agree mostly with what you've said - but you've misunderstood. The tiny tiny risk is not just relating to dropping the bike because of your own fault.

I meant that IF anything out of your control happens - you are in a substantially worse position than if you were stood next to it.

We will just have to disagree on your belief that there isn't even a tiny bit more risk of dropping it when sitting on it.

I think it's obvious there is.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:25 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I meant that IF anything out of your control happens - you are in a substantially worse position than if you were stood next to it.

I should probably have clarified that my bike only has a side stand. So bike on stand = supported on one side. Me sitting on it = supported from both sides.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qyburn wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

I should probably have clarified that my bike only has a side stand. So bike on stand = supported on one side. Me sitting on it = supported from both sides.

Good stuff 👍 That does mitigate it pretty well Smile

The only risk is the vapour flash igniting and burning your crotch 👍

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Sure thing I'll pop round in the morning shall I? It's only a 400+ mile round trip Rolling Eyes

Then stop your bleating as you have completely failed to get the one thing that meant you could have made a worthwhile complaint. Stupid child. Rolling Eyes

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Then stop your bleating as you have completely failed to get the one thing that meant you could have made a worthwhile complaint. Stupid child. Rolling Eyes

Did I say anything about wanting to make a complaint? It's unlikely I'd ever return to that service station. I thought this was a forum, where people discuss things. Stupid ol' cunt Rolling Eyes

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Did I say anything about wanting to make a complaint? It's unlikely I'd ever return to that service station. I thought this was a forum, where people discuss things. Stupid ol' cunt Rolling Eyes

That'll be the bleating bit. Well done Thumbs Up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

That'll be the bleating bit. Well done Thumbs Up

If you don't like it you're more than welcome to fuck right off and not read it or reply Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:11 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Kickstart wrote:

More stable, easier to see in to the tank while filling (especially if the Baglux tank bag is on the bike and needs holding up), can keep the bike vertical to get a decent amount extra into the tank on some bikes.

All the best

Katy

Only the first two points seem valid? The third is a non-point - as holding the bike up vertical is still vertical Smile

More stable - yes... But how stable do you think it will be if you spill unleaded everwhere and lose your footing?

Easier to see? Yes if you are a dwarf. Smile Smile Smile

Honestly - theres no reason worth risking it. Just hop off and do it off the bike. Smile

Far from it. Stable and easy to move the bike gently. Highly unlikely I am going to lose my fitting from spilling a tiny bit of fuel.

Seeing in is far easier. Can look into the tank directly.

And the extra fuel can make a substantial difference on some bikes. FZ750 I have several litres extra. When commuting on the ZZR the extra in the tank was the difference between being able to fill up once a day or having to fill up twice.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Not really...

when its upright it's practically weightless. Hold the bike on the right handlebar whilst holding the brake in. Use your left to hold the nozzle. Piece of piss. (Note that I didnt say "even for a girl") 😆

Even easier and safer when you can use your legs to hold it up to stop it falling to both sides. Especially if your alternative is to hold the bike up with your hand , and then try and faff around putting down a flip up side stand or turning around to put the pump back in place while still supporting the bike.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
I've seen 7stone weaklings support a 200kg bike with ease. (Put the side stand down before you get off in case it falls obvs.)

Yep, and I have seen people double that drop a bike lighter than that because it falls away from them. Stuff all you can do then, merely having the choice of letting go of the bike or falling on top of it.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Edit: FYI ignition point of petrol is around 230 degrees Celsius. Your engine block can reach above that.

Yeah, right Laughing . Exhaust manifold might manage it, and maybe the odd internal engine part, engine block very very unlikely.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Petrol Fires... not something I want to play with. Also why take the risk (even miniscule) that you might drop and damage your pride and joy?

I ride the bike so there is already a risk of it being damaged. And the risk sitting on it refueling is likely far less than filling while trying to hold it upright.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
The only risk is the vapour flash igniting and burning your crotch 👍

Which is so minimal to be non existent

All the best

Katy

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're still here?

As I said - we are not going to agree. Carry on doing it, doesn't affect me. 👍

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:20 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
You're still here?

Yes, work and life stops me being here all the time.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

I will. Those who are incapable of it don't bother me.

All the best

Katy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

only on very, very hot days for the cooling relief
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
You're still here?

Until one of us drops our bike next to you and sets the entire station ablaze? At least you'll be able to run away, not being on your bike and all... 🤣

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
You're still here?

Until one of us drops our bike next to you and sets the entire station ablaze? At least you'll be able to run away, not being on your bike and all... 🤣

See! Someone gets it! 😆👍👍👍

Anyway I'm a nice guy, I'd be running towards you to help pull the burning bike off you 👍

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.
https://youtu.be/lvzaCYe_lhA
https://youtu.be/pFWhH9-vpTc
https://youtu.be/uDaj15G6ADE
https://youtu.be/qrCkExl_PdY
https://youtu.be/wKgHysn1mZU
I will continue to fuel up like a big jessie, off the bike and on my centre stand

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:09 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd lad stays on like a boss and tries to wheel it away from the pump despite being on fire. Committment. Thumbs Up

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:44 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Common denominator in all those videos, someone else filling the bike whilst rider stays on the bike.
No way would I let someone else fill the bike. if i'm sat on it I am filling it

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:49 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try with my bike, see how much more it takes upright, compared to on the side stand. If it's significant then I'll carry on filling while sitting on the bike. I'm 100% certain that standing next to the bike holding it upright while filling is the worst option.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:01 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SV650 on side stand only took 250ml less than upright, that's about 4 miles. So not really worth it for capacity, however it was much slower to fill the last bit with the bike canted over, and obviously more difficult rocking the bike to get the bubbles out. So I think I'll stick to my normal method.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 16 Aug 2017    Post subject: I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but... Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
2nd lad stays on like a boss and tries to wheel it away from the pump despite being on fire. Committment. Thumbs Up

I filled up for the first time sitting on my bike today and rather enjoyed it. I reckon it might just mean 1 less full up each week.

The really embarrassing part in all this though is that my bike is fitted with a centre stand but after three weeks I've not yet been able to get the bike up on it.

I managed it with the bike I trained in but that was much lighter and ultimately I wasn't so scared about dropping that

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike has centre stand I use it to fill up.

My current bike has not so I am on the bike whilst filling up.

What is the worst that can happen eh Laughing

I am still alive writing this post Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but... Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
my bike is fitted with a centre stand but after three weeks I've not yet been able to get the bike up on it

You must be using the wrong technique (your body weight is what pops the bike up on to the centre stand, not your arm strength).

Put your left hand on the left handlebar grip, and your right hand somewhere near the seat (eg grab rail). Gently lower the the centre stand to the ground with your right foot, ensuring both its feet are firmly in contact with the ground (ie by feel, rocking the bike to and fro) before applying any real force to the stand. Push down firmly with the right foot - that's mainly what lifts the bike - and really just use your hands for guiding the bike backwards. Take it slow, and don't yank; it may help to lift your left foot completely off the ground to transfer all your body weight to the stand.

If you're still struggling, here's another tip I read elsewhere... position the bike with it's back wheel on a plank of wood before pushing the centre stand down; that way you've already got a head start (the thickness of the plank) when raising the back up. (Maybe try using the stand at home with the plank to get your confidence up before trying it without, when you're out and about?)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:22 - 17 Aug 2017    Post subject: Re: I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but... Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

You must be using the wrong technique (your body weight is what pops the bike up on to the centre stand, not your arm strength).

In an ideal world yes, but some stands are badly design. And some bikes are lowered, and then the weight of the bike just laughs at your weight on the stand

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6