Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filling up whilst sitting on your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

How do you fill up?
Sitting on bike
45%
 45%  [ 64 ]
Bike on stand
54%
 54%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 140

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SophR so good wrote:
@hawkeye last time I dropped my bike I had to phone my work colleague to come down help me after 10 mins of heaving like the women in the harley videos do. And that was on the light bike Confused Some people are just really puny!

Centrestand would be a nice option if there was one on either bike.

To be honest though I don't see the risk as that high. If there's a freak hurricane crash explosion, being sat a few inches behind the fuel tank and being stood a few inches away from it both give you little time to react and a high chance of getting petrol on you.

Do you not think you are being a touch irresponsible? You admit to not being strong enough to manhandle your bike easily... you've dropped it before... you are now planning on sitting on the bike to refuel...

Fine you don't think the risk to your life is worth getting off the bike for... what about the other people in the petrol station? Your bike goes over and all the fuel you just put in gets poured all over the forecourt.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:27 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point is I'm less likely to drop it if I'm sat on it. My legs can hold the bike upright, my arms can't.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Fine you don't think the risk to your life is worth getting off the bike for... what about the other people in the petrol station? Your bike goes over and all the fuel you just put in gets poured all over the forecourt.

There is no risk to life unless your IQ is in single figures, in which case you shouldn't using a vehicle to begin with.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Thought I would drag this up again as it happened to me for the first time in, ever...

Pre auth'd card payment (pay at pump) attempted to start fuelling and nothing came out, next thing I hear on the loud speaker "Sir, pump 7, get off the bike!" herrrdurp wha'?

Got off the bike and fuelled up then left, didn't think much of it until it happened again. This time I thought I would go in and enquire as to the logic of this and was provided with "it's company policy, here's some literature..." to which my response was, I've filled up at over 100 of your other branches and never been asked to get off the bike, he didn't seem to have an answer to this.

Both of these occurrences happened in Wales, are they just ultra cautious in the land of sheep or do the locals have a habit of pouring petrol on their genitals and setting them ablaze?

So you've pre-authorised the payment, and they STILL want you to get off the bike?

I can understand they might have an issue with someone doing a runner and not paying, but if the payment is pre-authorised, then what was their reason for insisting you get off (aside from the company policy/literature which now Sickpup is going to have to travel 400 miles to go and get, how very thoughtless of you not to bring it with you for him! Laughing )

I'm interested now, as to how Sickers would plan to contest the literature. Darn, I wish you'd brought it back Laughing Tell us where the gas station was, so that if any of us go past there, we can pick up a copy for Sickers to challenge Laughing

I also always sit on my bike to fuel up. Always have, ain't gonna change now. Got the odd minge-full of petrol now and then if I'd not been paying attention, but nothing life-threatening has happened so far.

This thread is older than any of our last layers of skin, by the way. Almost two layers Shocked

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as well you are doing it in a completely private place then where there are no other members of the moronic public around that could have any kind of impact on your activity then. Rolling Eyes

I get why you think it's fine SophR. I just don't think the extra three quid of fuel is worth the risk - and you do. That's about the best we are going to agree on I think. 😂

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
vice wrote:
Thought I would drag this up again as it happened to me for the first time in, ever...

Pre auth'd card payment (pay at pump) attempted to start fuelling and nothing came out, next thing I hear on the loud speaker "Sir, pump 7, get off the bike!" herrrdurp wha'?

Got off the bike and fuelled up then left, didn't think much of it until it happened again. This time I thought I would go in and enquire as to the logic of this and was provided with "it's company policy, here's some literature..." to which my response was, I've filled up at over 100 of your other branches and never been asked to get off the bike, he didn't seem to have an answer to this.

Both of these occurrences happened in Wales, are they just ultra cautious in the land of sheep or do the locals have a habit of pouring petrol on their genitals and setting them ablaze?

So you've pre-authorised the payment, and they STILL want you to get off the bike?

I can understand they might have an issue with someone doing a runner and not paying, but if the payment is pre-authorised, then what was their reason for insisting you get off (aside from the company policy/literature which now Sickpup is going to have to travel 400 miles to go and get, how very thoughtless of you not to bring it with you for him! Laughing )

I'm interested now, as to how Sickers would plan to contest the literature. Darn, I wish you'd brought it back Laughing Tell us where the gas station was, so that if any of us go past there, we can pick up a copy for Sickers to challenge Laughing

I also always sit on my bike to fuel up. Always have, ain't gonna change now. Got the odd minge-full of petrol now and then if I'd not been paying attention, but nothing life-threatening has happened so far.

This thread is older than any of our last layers of skin, by the way. Almost two layers Shocked

The biggest concern by these companies is that if you slip and drop the bike - petrol goes all over the forecourt and risks fire / death to others. (Which I agree with)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:58 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, if they don't want me to sit on my bike then I'll just leave the pump hanging and find the next one.

That said, I've never had to remove helmet or get off the bike. Perhaps only a certain kind of spastic gets asked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:16 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
You admit to not being strong enough to manhandle your bike

Did we learn nothing from the Google Memo? Crying or Very sad

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
You admit to not being strong enough to manhandle your bike

Did we learn nothing from the Google Memo? Crying or Very sad

Laughing

its a verb

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

Yes, had pre auth'd the payment, then when they made me get off, I had to replace the nozzle which means I had to pre auth again Mad FFS that was the first time at morrisons the second time was at shell

Paddy. wrote:
Meh, if they don't want me to sit on my bike then I'll just leave the pump hanging and find the next one.

That said, I've never had to remove helmet or get off the bike. Perhaps only a certain kind of spastic gets asked.

how would they know the person in question is spastic? I mean if they had the pump stuck up their arse it might be best to ask them to get off the bike. I think it's just cunts being cunts for the sake of being a cunt, unhappy with their miserable lives as a service station attendant

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're big on risk, aren't you, Hawkeye.
Remind us again why you ride a motorcycle, rather than wrap yourself in a ton of murderous steel, upholstery and airbags.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
for the sake of being a cunt, unhappy with their miserable lives as a service station attendant

Not going to dispute this. They definitely enjoy enforcing it!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Remind us again why you ride a motorcycle, rather than wrap yourself in a ton of murderous steel, upholstery and airbags.

😂😂 touché

I also use airplanes / eat fatty foods / smoke cigars.

Petrol Fires... not something I want to play with. Also why take the risk (even miniscule) that you might drop and damage your pride and joy?

Think if it this way - tiny tiny tiny risk that you might drop the bike by slipping on a pool of diesel while sitting on it... vs zero risk if it's sat on its side stand.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:04 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
how would they know the person in question is spastic?

They turn up on anything that isn't a GSXR.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
hellkat wrote:

😂😂 touché

I also use airplanes / eat fatty foods / smoke cigars.

Petrol Fires... not something I want to play with. Also why take the risk (even miniscule) that you might drop and damage your pride and joy?

Think if it this way - tiny tiny tiny risk that you might drop the bike by slipping on a pool of diesel while sitting on it... vs zero risk if it's sat on its side stand.

so are you saying it's completely impossible to slip on said diesel whilst getting off the bike and dropping it anyway, I get that at least the tank would be closed, but still if you're going to slip you'd probably slip before opening it anyway if on the bike

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, and it's never happened to me so this is purely a guess.

But I expect it would be easier to save the drop from the side rather than on it.

Plus repercussions of it falling next to you rather than on you would be less severe.

I would t fancy being trapped under a bike that's pissing petrol out all over me.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
so are you saying it's completely impossible to slip on said diesel whilst getting off the bike and dropping it anyway, I get that at least the tank would be closed, but still if you're going to slip you'd probably slip before opening it anyway if on the bike

Wut? Put the side stand down, get off bike while lowering onto side stand. Even if you slipped the side stand would be there.

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

I would t fancy being trapped under a hot bike that's pissing petrol out all over me.

FTFY Thumbs Up

I really don't get what all the fuss is about, it's going to take you 10 seconds more, if that.

"Oh but I can get a bit more in" is just weak, brim it on the side stand and it'll be just right when upright.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What (I think) I'm getting at is, you'd probably slip when you stopped and put your foot down, this is before you have a chance to open the tank or get off the bike, but like most people, at least I hope, I look where I am stopping to see if there's anything that might cause this to happen and try where possible to avoid it, and if I can't then am extra cautious with my footing.

Statistically there's probably more chance of being killed by a falling coconut than by falling over in the forecourt being trapped under a motorcycle and being engulfed in a fiery ball of death. I'm not going to avoid tropical islands though.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

But it's all about the man(woman)-points though fam innit.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Wut? Put the side stand down, get off bike while lowering onto side stand. Even if you slipped the side stand would be there.

Do you put the side stand down before you stop and put your foot down?

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I really don't get what all the fuss is about, it's going to take you 10 seconds more, if that.

I'm not too sure what the fuss is about either.

There is literally no difference in risk between the two methods.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

I think it's irrelevant isn't it? It's nothing to do with fueling whilst being on or off the bike. That's simply arriving.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

No, I put my right foot down and flick the side stand out with my left.

If "you're going to fall over anyway" is your argument then it wont matter if you stay on or get off the bike. If you can't hold the bike upright with the front brake on and one foot down then you've got bigger issues.

I don't buy "It's safer" at all.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

I think it's irrelevant isn't it? It's nothing to do with fueling whilst being on or off the bike. That's simply arriving.

So it's impossible to slip on diesel/crap whilst arriving, but not whilst putting fuel in the tank, amazing that.

The "fuss" is that because of a few irresponsible fuckholes that seem unable to grasp basic human movement by pouring petrol all over their genitalia or slipping and dropping bikes, the rest of us now have to be inconvenienced.

I had to put my PIN in TWICE, TWICE I SAY! Once is bad enough, can you imagine the the inconvenience to me of having to put the side stand and get off the bike. Crikey

ScaredyCat wrote:

I don't buy "It's safer" at all.

I don't recall saying it was safer, but I don't think it's any less safe provided you have more than a single brain cell

The point is, if you want to get off the bike fine do it, but why the fuck should the rest of us be forced to because of others incompetence. And if that's the rule then it should be the rule for all, not enforced when/if some fucktard feels like it

Last edited by owl on 12:53 - 15 Aug 2017; edited 1 time in total

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 15 Aug 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be arguing just for the crack now...

obviously arriving and putting a foot down is less likely to cause a slip than balancing the bike with no hands on the brakes and also messing around with a fuel hose.

At least come up with something believable!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 250 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6