Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to get odd sized bolts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 14:53 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Where to get odd sized bolts? Reply with quote

Sort of bike related, although I actually need these bolts for a table.

I need some M6 counter sunk machine screws. (that's no problem).
But I need a 1.25 pitch thread, which seems impossible to get hold of!

eBay has come up blank and Google doesn't seem to be finding me much better. I know they exist because I've got one that came with the table.
And it must be metric, because the thread pitch is measured correctly in metric. So it must be M6 aswell.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Re: Where to get odd sized bolts? Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better I can't find any either, checked all the usual places I use for funny sized bolts and found nada.

Best bet is to phone a local nut and bolt place and ask, I usually use these guys for odd sized fixings when the internet fails me and they are always really helpful.

NUTS & BOLTS
Unit 10, Longton Industrial Estate, Winterstoke Rd, Weston-Super-Mare , BS23 3YB

Tel: 01934 416765

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 15:25 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I've measured it wrong. It looks like an Ikea type table, so it can't be that weird-a-size.

The width of the bolt is 6mm from tip of thread to tip of thread. And it must be 1.25 pitch, because I used a thread pitch gauge.

I think I'll do a bit of digging on where it came from, and see if they can provide any new ones.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I've ever seen them either, at that pitch do they go into a metal female thread or are they a bit of a pointed self tapper type thing??
You can get M6x1.25 taps and dies if they are a proper formed thread, only suggestion is get an ordinary M6x1 countersunk bolt with a long enough plain shank and thread that with an M6x1,25 die Thinking
Tracy tools, the god of all things threaded, do the taps and dies

https://www.tracytools.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_10&page=2

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:35 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold metric fastenings for a number of years and I can honestly say I have never come across, or heard of a M6x1.25 bolt or screw. Standard and fine pitches for M6 are 1mm and 0.75mm so where this 1.25 pitch comes from I have no idea.
I would be interested to know how you are measuring the diameter of the screw in question, ruler or vernier? If you are using a ruler, it may well be you are looking at a 1/4" screw with an Imperial thread, just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Ikea using some unusual pitch screw and I also cant see them using anything other than metric fasteners, certainly worth measuring the pitch with an imperial pitch gauge if you know someone with one though.

Try a standard m6 bolt in it, it just falls down the middle then it is not M6 - how you could measure it that badly I don't know. If it seems to fit but binds after about half a turn then you may well have a strange M6 1mm pitch bolt.
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:57 - 07 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured it with a ruler, I'm still shite at reading my standard vernier.

It screws into a female thread that's sunk into the wood of the table. Turns out it was from Tesco, not Ikea.

I will try with an imperial pitch gauge, I think that's most likely, that it's an imperial size or something.
But yes, I have considered threading a plain shanked countersunk bolt. And if it really comes to it, that's what I'll do.

Gaz

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:03 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back on this again!

So M6 is very close to being 1/4". 2.54cm, half is 12.7mm, quarter is 6.35mm. I've been measuring with a steel rule, so that could well be right.

1.25 pitch metric thread would be what in imperial?

I don't even know what the 1.25 signifies, other than some writing on my pitch gauge. I take it it's one thread every 1.25mm?

Gaz

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:06 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some crappy maths might suggest I want 20 threads per inch. That'll be 1.27mm between threads (if that is how metric pitch is measured).

Gaz

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4" Whitworth 20tpi is still to this day the standard size for a camera tripod mount. You might be able to try one of them in the hole.

Thumbs Up

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
1/4" Whitworth 20tpi is still to this day the standard size for a camera tripod mount. You might be able to try one of them in the hole.

Beat me to it.............1/4'' BSW is almost certainly the size that you require. It is a size that is routinely used on furniture that is produced in the Far East.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 21:50 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one! Just bought a test piece, if it fits the thread I'll splash out and buy the 24 (!) bolts I need.

Nice one guys, thanks.

Gaz

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1.25 pitch metric thread would be what in imperial?

1.27 is 20TPI, which is standard pitch for a 1/4" UNC bolt (6.35mm). My guess is that you want 1/4 x 20tpi countersunk screws.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 340 days between these two posts...

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma 1.25 is a pretty standard pitch for bike threads on a honda at least!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Karma 1.25 is a pretty standard pitch for bike threads on a honda at least!! Very Happy

And the reason for this thread bump is what, exactly?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: 1/4 whit Reply with quote

from memory 1/4 whit is quite a course thread unlike 6mm x 1.25 which is relatively fine.

1.25 pitch is used on hondas as well as yam, prob suzi and kwak as well. :D

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: 1/4 whit Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
1.25 is a pretty standard pitch for bike threads on a honda at least!!
from memory 1/4 whit is quite a course thread unlike 6mm x 1.25 which is relatively fine.
1.25 pitch is used on hondas as well as yam, prob suzi and kwak as well. Very Happy

1.25 is indeed a pitch that is commonly found on Japanese bikes but not on 6mm fasteners. Furthermore, if you were able to produce a 6mm x 1.25 pitch screw then I doubt that many people would be able to visually spot the difference between that and a 1/4'' BSW screw.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: 1/4 whit Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

1.25 pitch is used on hondas as well as yam, prob suzi and kwak as well. Very Happy

20tpi and 1.25mm are the same pitch, how can one be fine and the other coarse?

1.25 is standard pitch for M8 bolts. It's hardly any surprise that all the Jap manufacturers use them.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:23 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: 1/4 whit Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
bikenut wrote:

20tpi and 1.25mm are the same pitch, how can one be fine and the other coarse?

1.25 is standard pitch for M8 bolts. It's hardly any surprise that all the Jap manufacturers use them.

Because the 20 tpi thread referred to is on a 1/4" thread and you generally only find a 1.25mm pitch on a fastening of 10mm diameter or above.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Re: 1/4 whit Reply with quote

LongJohn22 wrote:
you generally only find a 1.25mm pitch on a fastening of 10mm diameter or above.

Didn't you read that post of Petes that you quoted?

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:05 - 24 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm.....A case of operating key board before engaging brain, I'm afraid.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 25 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill check in zeus
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1