BCF: Bike Chat Forums

help me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 06 Mar 2004    Post subject: help me Reply with quote

Please help i have just boaught a 2001 NSR125r and it seems to be making some strange noises. When it starts it has a crunching sound to it like the bearings have gone but it is coming from the rc valve area. Please help i don't want to break my new bike Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is the noise just when you start it, just when you turn the ignition on or all the time when the engine is running?

All the best

Keith

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

the noise is only when the bike is on the tickover
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:56 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The power valve does not move (from memory) until quite a way past idle. So if the noise is only there at idle then it is probably not the power valve. However I have seen one of these fail. They are not easy to check without pulling a fair amount to pieces. Unless you have some experience I would hesitate to say for you to start to pull the power valve apart.

In the same rough area you have the water pump and the oil pump. The oil pumps rarely go badly wrong on 2 strokes, but the water pump can. If the water pump fails is is likely that it would leak water, and the main place it would leak would be into the clutch casing (I think). As such check for any water leaks and also check the gearbox oil level (there is a small window to view the gearbox oil level). If the level has gone up from water contamination then the gearbox oil is likely to look like mayonaise.

Also in the same area is the exhaust gasket. If this is blowing then it would make a fairly nasty noise, but not like things being crunched together.

All the best

Keith

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:52 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday after a long ride on the bike I stopped off to get petrol and when I started up the bike again it made a crunch noise only when the engine fired up. Then it was fine. Turned it off again and tried it once more. It happened again. I haven't had the chance to check it again today. That was the first time that's ever happened. Should I be worried?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:55 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did the sound come from on the bike?

Generally, strange noises are a bad thing. Cos they are things like your gearbox making them. Crying or Very sad

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 13:55 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Be very worried.

The sky is about to fall down onto your head.

And small frogs will eat your toes.

That goes for everyone else too.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:58 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Where did the sound come from on the bike?

Hard to tell as I had my lid on at the time. I can check closer tonight but it sounded like it came from the engine area. It's never happened before and I'm kind of hoping I've not buggered it as I was ripping the arse out of the thing for about 2 hours straight prior to this happening... Confused

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:02 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it feel like its now down on power at all?

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:08 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Does it feel like its now down on power at all?

No it was actually running incredibly well. As good as ever. I only rode it for about 15 minutes more after I first heard the noise.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:11 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the chain tension right and is it properly lubed?

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:14 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Is the chain tension right and is it properly lubed?

Haven't checked tension or lubed it since I got new sprockets and chain fitted last week. I'll make sure it's ok though.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:17 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually - I just read the post again. Its unlikely to be that (although check it anyway). It might be worth you whipping the starter motor off and greasing that up.

How long is it since the piston/rings have been changed?

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 14:21 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
How long is it since the piston/rings have been changed?

Got them changed last august. 2000 miles ago. I've always warmed up the bike properly and generally looked after it since having it done. It's just been serviced last week aswell when I got the chain and sprockets. So it should be in good condition. Help appreciated BTW!

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a bad thing when the bike seems to be running really well, then starts making noises.

Sounds silly but have you checked the oil levels?

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 17:03 - 08 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
Sounds silly but have you checked the oil levels?

Not in the last week. That would have been something they would have done at the service I'd imagine. Wouldn't suprise me if they've messed it up though. I better check it out.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kickstart. Helped me find out what it could be. Still not solved the problem BUT i think it must be the water pump because it seems to be leaking water and oil but i cant seem to find out where it is coming from. I have just removed the water pump thingy (just the cover and the fan thing) and started it up for a few moments which is a bit silly i know but i needed to know what the problem was. the rattling seem to not be as bad. If this is the problem could you please send me some info and maybe some diagrams on how to remove or fix this. Any help would be good as i am not exactly bright when it comes to watercooled engines. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:19 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NSR manual is around for download. Think Scotty or Ste might have it uploaded.

All the best

Keith

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links on their sites are not working. Anyone know anywhere else Question
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1