Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cbr600 or ZX-6?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Perky71
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:25 - 06 Mar 2004    Post subject: Cbr600 or ZX-6? Reply with quote

Since I last posted on here I've been advised by a few people that if I really want a sports bike as my first machine the cbr600 would be as learner friendly as a sports bike could be, However I do quite like the look of the zx-6. Any of you guys got any advice is the zx-6 much different to ride than the cbr? al replys would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:00 - 06 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: Cbr600 or ZX-6? Reply with quote

Personally I'd go for an old zx6, f model as a 2nd bike maybe. These were considered pretty good in their day and nice examples can be picked up from about £2k now.
Jelly mould CBRs can be picked up from £750 for a tatty old model to £2500 for a decent new one, personally I'd go for one of these as a first bike, at say £1500 you get a pretty tidy bike that's still got many miles left on it and will keep it's value well.

Most of the slightly tamer 600s are all pretty similar, but generally the zx-6 is a bit cheaper, so you got a newer or better bike for the same money when compared to the cbr.

nealski
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:01 - 06 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test ride! Take the time to take a few different ones out (from dealers, cause you don't want to piss off normal people!). It will all be done to personal preference.

But to quote most people on the planet "the honda is a good all rounder".

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:02 - 06 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your budget to some extent. You looking at older ones or newer ones?

I'd choose the CBR but that's cos, um, I chose the CBR.

In the end, buy the one you like the look / feel of the best or get offered a great deal on cos there's really bog all difference performance wise.

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 07 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be in the same position soon. I was thinking that I'd get a CBR but then I thought 'hmm, they are everywhere' and considered the zx6r. Maybe I shouldn't worry about the fact that the CBRs are popular and think more about the fact that they are good bikes. I had a look at a few bikes in my local dealer's, and liked the look of the zx6r more apart from the green!

I think I'm gonna get an NC30 now though hehe... (Pending a test pass Thumbs Up )

Perky71
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:13 - 07 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a budget of 4000 so I could get quite a new machine for that. I prefer the look of the zx but is that reason enough to buy one if its not as "easy" to ride as a cbr?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:54 - 07 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, no real difference in the ride.

As standard, they're both more forgiving than the R6 would be, but equally you can set them up to be utter bastards if you so desire later on.

jofstevens
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:05 - 07 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting mate-I am in more or less in exactly the same dilemma..although I also have the SV650s thrown in to add more confussion (although not as sporty it is good for the insurance and town work)...you made any desision yet? Confused

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbr is a great learning bike I have one as my first bike got my confidence up and very forgiving.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 19:48 - 07 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just jumped onto a ZX-6R from an NSR125 and have had no problems (apart from that bit of a wheelie last night in the wet Shocked ) and its been downgeard quite a bit too.

It can be a real mad fooker - but low down in the rev range its a real pussy cat and a doddle to ride.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:14 - 07 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Worth pointing out that Col had been riding a bike for three and a half years before his test, so was hardly you average learner.

All the best

Keith

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kwak, no contest, mind are you not keen on the r6, or the Gixer, they are pretty good as well Thumbs Up .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 11:05 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
There isnt that much difference, just the gixxer and R6 are more desgned for the track, where as the zx6 and CBR are a bit more plassid, not that they wont scare the bollox off you. I know the R6 shakes its head a bit (not best for newbies like me) dont know much about the gixxer 6, not many people have them to extreeem maybe Very Happy.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 16:04 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the zx6....and trust me it can scare the bollocks out of you, but any sports 600 will do that, i have ridden with bendy alot and theres no real difference between our bikes, there just as fast as the r6 etc...but comfortable (ish) Laughing. The r6 actually has a lower top speed than the zx6 and the cbr (on paper) i think because of the seating position they feel faster, and granted in the right hands they go round a track much faster. I went to cadwell with alot of the bcf peeps last year, and i never had any problems over taking people (ok I was in the novice group...but it was my first track day Razz ).

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 17:18 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yeah the R6 sacrifices top speed for acceleration, have you seen zx6 rear sprockets they're tiny Shocked .

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then, on the road, the difference between performance of all bikes is absolutely minute (certainly within the legal speed limits and a bit beyond!) and it just comes down to what riding position and style you prefer. The ability of the rider also makes a big difference in making some bikes seem faster than others on teh road!

On the track it is a different matter or course!

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 18:32 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Not necciarily, i remember owning gixer 600's on my VFR Mr. Green .

Luke

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:32 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I then they owned you whilst watching you dance Razz.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 18:35 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
F**k off hobbit boy, you wouldnt be doing much owning by sitting on your arse in the pit lane matey boy :d.

Luke

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:37 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me dances Dance!

Razz

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 18:39 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I love it when someone loses an argument, then does something completly random to act as if they dont care hahahaha Laughing

Luke

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:39 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance!

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 18:40 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Point proven.

Luke

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:42 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make me dance again. Middle Finger Twisted Evil Middle Finger

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 18:43 - 09 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
zzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZZZ.

Your boaring me, quit boaring everybody ste.

Luke
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2