Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sound good for a first bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

tipster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:22 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Sound good for a first bike? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Long time listener, first time caller...

I've got my DAS test in May (got the theory in two weeks) and have started looking at what sort of bike to purchase. I'm after a sporty number for around £1200 - £1300 that won't pull my pants down on insurance. I'm not really looking to buy until I get my license but I just can't help flicking through the classifieds in autotrader and mcn. I've been looking at a GSX600F. I'm 22 and third part T&T insurance is only £350 on it!! Do you guys think a GSX600F sounds good for a first bike?

Also, I've not had a lot of bike experience so any tips on buying a second hand GSX would be appreciated.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here for a review https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes/detail?sectionID=57277&documentID=7415

I take it you are looking at something around the early 1990's?

I haven't owned one and don't know anyone that has, I can only remember bit that have been said by magazines over the years. Not that magazines are generally worth taking much notice of. The only things that I can sort of remember where about dodgy build quality really. I'm sure someone on here has owned one and will be able to point you in the right direction.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do allot of looking you might find a zzr600 for that much or a 400, i have hered the gsx is a nice bike, just a bit bland, nothing really interesting about it (which lts face it is the whole point of motorcycles) the zzr is a great bike for touring and everyday use, but also quite a beastie when you need it to be.

Is the £1300 including insurance? will you use the bike in all weathers? will you be doing any touring? (i.e. more than 100/200 miles at a time), only six months ago i was in EXACTLY the same position, i got myself an old (its on classic insurance Very Happy ) cx500, for me its perfect, dirt cheep for parts, can maintain the whole thing myself, really comfy for long distances, and shaft drive (no messing adjusting chains) however I 100% understand that not everyone wants a 20year old bike.
If i was after sporty i'd be having something like https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2466442948&category=9809 or a bandit, something like that...
let us know how you get along, good luck with the test Thumbs Up Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tipster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Bike!! I think the insurance might have something to say about it!! The £1300 is only for the bike. I'd like to spend another £400ish on insurance (TPF&T) and maybe £300ish on clothes and stuff. Do you rekon that's all realistic to get me strated on a 600? Oh, and of course I'll have to shell out £500 on the DAS course. All in all, bit of a pricey game, but the fun outways the cost I'll wager!

I will (hopefully) be riding in all weathers as my girlfriend is gonna get use of the car because she's selling hers and we're just going to have one to share. I know it's a bit of a gamble letting a woman drive my car (only joking ladies). Surprised Wink

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have got some car NCB try somewhere that lets you use the car NCB as well, might well bring the insurance down. www.insurance2000.co.uk are one for starters.

tipster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:15 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!! What a brilliant tip from dainesefreak! Did a quote with insurance2000 for a GSX600F, 1991 worth £1100, 5 years car NCB, none on bikes, brand new rider, TPF&T.......£281. That is pretty darn good! Shocked Very Happy

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used H&R for a few years now and they have always been good, used them for a big claim last year and they handled it well.

tipster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:27 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, brilliant tip. I got a quote for a zzr600 from a few places, all came to about £600. On insurance2000.co.uk......£311, simply outstanding (in case you can't tell, I'm very impressed)!! Shocked

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 11 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ZZR is good for around 150 - 160 mph which is good for a 600 of it's age, it's also comfortable for distance and motorway cruising.

It was always a bit on the porky side and was more of a sort of sports tourer than an outright sports bike, which probably makes it more useful as a first bike. The build quality is probably going to be better than the Suzuki too. I'm sure someone on here has got one or had one, can't remember who though.

You could try www.motorcyclenews.com forums and ask a few questions.

Also worth considering is the Honda CBR600, Laura has one as a first bike. Might be worth dropping her a line.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 09:23 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have my cbr It is a old jelly mould type I went from a 100 cc scooter straight onto it. In my opinion it is brilliant for a learner top speed of about 140mph brilliant reliability, comfortable for commuting and long motorway jaunts as well as still having enough get up and go to keep up with the modern bikes. Mine cost me about 700 pounds to buy (it was in bad condition) but you see them regularly coming up at around 900 1000 pounds thats for years 88/92.

Laura

tipster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:13 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The lower insurance quotes I've been getting should give me more of a choice when looking around for bikes. I'll keep you all posted on what I eventually decide on.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a teapot for about 6 months

It was unmitigated shite Evil or Very Mad

good if you're an old man looking for a cheap hack to work

totally pants if you're a young'un looking for fun and pose value

avoid like the plague Thumbs Down

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:25 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair mr C, this is a bike to learn on. The general consensus is that it's bad to jump straight on to an r6 or other similar new sports 600, which I'd tend to agree with.

Instead of comparing the teapot with decent bikes, think of it in comparison to something like a bandit 600. While it may be uglier, it's got better weather protection, probably cheaper insurance and parts and cheaper to buy in the first place.

Personally I'd say it would be good as a first big bike, even if it's just for a few months until you get something bigger. Learn to ride that fast and you'll be stood in much better stead when you do jump on a sportier bike.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:48 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goose ages ago wrote:

There's something strangely arousing about the rear light on those bikes, it looks a bit like a dog's errection...

Nuff said.

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

G

I'm never fair Twisted Evil

the teapot is shit, there are loads better options out there

SV650
Hornet
Bandit
Fazer

etc etc...

250 Super Dream

all better than the dire teapot - I hated it

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:48 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually ridden one but I suspect it'll be hard to find most of those for under £1300 (apart from the superdream, though I susepct that may be being a /little/ harsh Smile ).
Also parts should be a lot cheaper to get, insurance will be cheaper etc.

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

400 fazer
400 bandit
400 katana

anything but a BLOODY TEAPOT

little-odgie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:35 - 16 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the daft jeezus is a teapot?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 12:42 - 16 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSX600F

little-odgie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:08 - 16 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Tea anyone? Having said that my ZZR600 makes a lovely brew. Nice to have something to do while I wait for Green Flag to arrive! Only kidding Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:41 - 17 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not ridden one, but a friends boss dropped a teapot round a car park at walking pace. The damage came to £1700. When new the teapot was a cheap bike, about 20% cheaper than the rest of the 600cc competition.

I would prefer a ZZR600, given the choice.

All the best

Keith

tinks
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:16 - 18 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

After i did DAS i got a GPZ500 payed £900 for it, and the insurance was only £194 fully comp, 32 6 points

Great to learn on Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1