Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a bike - need advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Buying a bike - need advice Reply with quote

Well just as soon as I sell my NSR I will be swiftly off with the cash to help pay for a nice GSXR600.

So I was in work today and I get talking to some random bloke from another company. Turns out he is trying to get rid of a nice shiny GSXR. It's 2 years old, 1250 miles and he wants £4200. Sounds fair I think. He goes on to tell me he bought it with 1200 miles on it and has had it a year and has only ridden 50 miles on it.

Odd. So he explains that he is from wolverhampton and after he bought it he got sent to work in Newcastle and he hadn't had the chance to go for lessons etc and to get his licence. Now he has lost interest.

What I would like to know is if it has been sitting in his garage for 12 months do you think this could lead to any mechanical problems or anything, and would it be a good idea to ride home 270 miles on it before giving it a good service?

I wouldn't want to be doing it any damage if the oil had gone all shitty by sitting too long idle.I'm not to up on the mechanics thing.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 13:48 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be ok to ride it home the 270 miles, but it will need a service yeah. The battery might be dead if it's been stood that long but they're cheap to replace anyway. Tyres may have flat spots but not a real problem. Sounds ok to me.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 13:49 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give keith a shout to go look at it we live up that way.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff I may do that Cool I've only been riding for a year and I'm not too up on bikes. I'm thinking i may pick it up in a van. he has a race can and i would struggle to carry the original back home on the bike.

Do you think the tail lift on the back of a luton van can take the weight of a bike?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:03 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Should be OK. Probably could do with an oil change. Old oils can damage engines if left in too long, but at that mileage I suspect it has only just had its first service.

As Scooby says the battery might well be dead, so it might be worth investing in a fresh one first (but if the owner has it connected to an Optimate then it should be OK). If the bike has an alarm then any internal battery in that might have died as well (probably not likely though).

One problem I can think of would be clogged injectors if it is fuel injected, but they should be obvious immediatly.

Other than that just watch out for animals living in bits of the bike!

All the best

Keith

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he mentioned that it had just had a service.

So you think it sound a good deal then otherwise?

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 14:13 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Having thought about it a bit more and Keith mentioning the injectors, the fuel might be off.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal, I recon you should offer him £4k on the nail. Just had a quick glance at autotrader and there are a few knocking around between £4.4k and £4.8k low miles. The worst is you can pay the full asking price. You could burble on about the launch of the new model this year if you see it and it's mint.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah all I can do is try Very Happy Some guy phoned me last night looking to buy my NSR and we agreed a price. He says he will phone me back today. nothing as yet though Confused

i'm quite impatient Rolling Eyes

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 15:09 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd say offer him £4k, you could always point out that it's been stood for ages and the battery might not hold it's charge and it needs a service because it's been stood for so long. Even if you can do the service yourself if you're doing oil and plugs it might still be expensive, not sure what plugs they use but they might be the expensive denso ones like in the new blade, NGK haven't released an alternative yet.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 12 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to phone the guy now to ask a few more questions about it. I'll leave my 4 grand offer till |I'm stood in front of him with the pretty cash in my hand. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1