Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha FZX 750

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 20 Oct 2011    Post subject: Yamaha FZX 750 Reply with quote

Anyone owned one / has any info on them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robbieguy2003
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 20 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but it looks like a slightly smaller VMAX, quite nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:48 - 20 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Had the plain FZ750 which has pretty much the same engine. Very tough engines, valves rarely need touching (service interval for the valves is every 28k on them) and quite flexible. Only real weak spot is the bearing behind the front sprocket which is a bit weak and can get trashed by over tightening the chain.

All the best

Keith

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:17 - 20 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Had the plain FZ750

Is there anything you haven't owned/have spare parts/wealth of knowledge of?!

I need you on a shelf in my flat.. Laughing

OP, I like the looks of that bike... a lot.. Cool

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:42 - 20 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:

Is there anything you haven't owned/have spare parts/wealth of knowledge of?!

Plenty, but plenty more years to work on that problem.

All the best

Keith

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 20 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine spotted it on the Bay and bought it, I wound up picking it up Monday night in the middle of a force 9 gale with a deluge lashing us. Finally had a chance to weigh it up.
Not bad condition for something a million years old, certainly looks....different. It'll need the usual, brakes and fluids but the engine runs and sounds quite purposfull. Not sure what the rear shocks are, look like some air assisted ones I vagually remember from that era. It seems to be a worthwhile proposition as they still seem to command reasonable prices. Once the Firestorm is delivered to its new owner this weekend I'll mke a start on it next week, stand by for a blow by blow repoert...

Cheers

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:13 - 20 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

From memory the shocks were quite stylised as standard. Don't think they were air shocks but might be.

All the best

Keith

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 25 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

s usual, this took a little more time than I had thought. A close inspection showed it needed a respray, local shop had some dark blue mettalic left over from a car job so that didnt cost the earth. Levers were bent or broken, indicators held together with tape but no great problems to replace. Fork seals, of course. Number 3 cylinders downpipe rusted to death, found the only one on the Bay in Florida, arrived safely if a bit expensively. Fitted a UK headlight as the original dipped somewhere to the right of David Cameron. Carbs needed dyno rod to clear the jets out, but ran and balanced nicely. Swing arm off, cleaned and painted, frams masked off, etch undercoat and rattle canned back to presentable. Ready for the MOT, first proper ride on the road, thought it was a bit' bouncy at the back, noted by the tester as an advisory, turned out that one of the shock springs had completely broken, happened on the ride to the MOT, could have been V nasty. New shocks off the Bay and thats now put to rights. Apart from that, no issues. Goes very well.... in a straight line, your not going to bother Valli in the twisties! Impressed by the motor, for its age it has some wallop. Thats it for this year, looking out for next years projects once prices settle down a bit.

crackfinder
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:58 - 25 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, round headlight looks much better than the rectangular one.

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 25 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate had one, I nearly bought one, small tanks on them...

That's about my knowledge...

/Could still be tempted by the right one though/...

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 25 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me that thinks that would look awesome as a rat bike?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 25 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who bought one new. Sold it for a song a few years later when the CDi packed up.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tenko
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:33 - 26 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always fancied one of these as a 'sit up and beg' comfortable bike with a bit of poke. You sometimes see the Yank 700 version on import as well as a 600 that looks similar.

I rode the FZ with the same engine many years ago, and I recall that went like sh*te off a shiney shovel, so I'd expect the FZX to be quick too...
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 75 days between these two posts...

blackfazer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:57 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: fzx 700 fork caps Reply with quote

Hi all can anybody tell me where I can get a pair of fork top cap covers for my fzx 700 as mine are missing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1