Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/ Reply with quote

hahadumball wrote:

Its kind of depressing what do i do ?

Man the fuck up Thumbs Up

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a better job or a smaller bike that is easier on consumables.

You've not lost your passion, you're having a moan about being skint.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/ Reply with quote

hahadumball wrote:

Man up!

Lube and adjust your chain and fix your fork seals. With regarding the NIP, I'm pretty sure that if it isnt delivered by a certain numer of days the ticket gets written off Thumbs Up

edit: shereen beat me too it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fork seals could have been done yourself for £15 max. Thats including the cost of the seals and oil. I know this because I done mine myself and I'm as mechanically minded as a lemon.

Caught speeding, your own fault.

Chain issue. Look after your chain and it wont. Lube it regularly.

Oh and man up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:34 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look... just dont ride and waste fuel until you can afford the parts?

Brake pads, cheap ones are like £8 a set, chains you can get cheap ones for £30-£40.

Fork seals are a few quid and you can do in an hour.

Just need to learn to look after it Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. All of that is your own doing. Live and learn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like you had the passion to begin with?..

We all go through rough patches, and money is always an issue. Take the bus for awhile if you can't afford the bike (genuinely, I had to do that a few times).

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:
Doesn't sound like you had the passion to begin with?..

We all go through rough patches, and money is always an issue. Take the bus for awhile if you can't afford the bike (genuinely, I had to do that a few times).

It's just a shame these days buses cost so much so you end up spending what you would've on fuel anyway... £4.30 a day. Ended up costing me more when my bike was laid up!

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 10:01 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I sort of lost the passion over the last couple of years. Hence why I havnt posted in a VERY long time!
Since I passed my driving test and started driving the van for work, the insurance on the hornet has taken a back seat. I cant afford to insure both. But hopefully the new job I'm looking at will solve that problem and I'll be back at box hill, hungover, on a sunday morning before I know it! Mr. Green

Just man up basically. Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Stop abusing your bike, start doing maintainance on it, and get some serious miles under your belt (I mean tens of thousands) so you don't do silly things like run into kerbs.

All we've heard from you is 'how can I make it go faster?', when you can't even make it go round corners. If you hit a kerb hard enough to blow a fork seal you need to think about your riding.

Learn to ride it, and then the enjoyment will come. You haven't lost your 'passion' you've just run out of thrill-seeking ideas.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nai
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another +1 for man up.

I know where your coming from. Had my bike raped by a mechanic last year. Totally wrecked my bike, got left in their warehouse for months where it rotted, bike lost all its shiny bits. Where it sat it got condensation rust (sp?) so my wavey disk brakes and upside down forks got replaced with the bland stock Rieju set. The engine needed replacing, chain and sprocket, whole front end / sub frame. It was done for free, but its never felt like 'the bike I bought' scince. I haven't been on one single leisure ride throughout the whole of 2011. 2 thefts later it feels even less like my bike. I required a double dose of these.

https://lojadaval.com/mytopdiet/images/box%20man%20up.jpg

On the upside, I am currently consoling myself with the thought that after 2 thefts and a claim, it ain't worth much, despite being mechanically sound. May as well keep running it until it drops. Its a nice ride (for a 125 and all) and pretty cheap to run. So I am regularly checkin ebay for cheap bits, and as a Christmas project I might have a go at painting my own design on it and throwing on some tart pretty bits. Aim to spend no more than £200. Something to look forward too.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:32 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/ Reply with quote

What exactly was it that you liked about bikes?

Bikes do cost money, time and effort - often more so in time and effort that a car per mile, but you do get benefits for that.

If all the hassle and expenditure isn't worth the positives to to you, maybe you should get a car or get the bus.
Though, hitting a kerb badly in a car can also do a decent chunk of damage that can be much more expensive/hassle.

Anyway, maybe you should find what you do like about bikes and do more of it Smile. If it's riding a cheap bike without spending much time or effort on it, then I'm afraid this just isn't likely in reality Smile.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 10:36 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/ Reply with quote

hahadumball wrote:
Been into bikes for years, passed test blah blah

Fork seals needed doing so more cost but fixed it then 2 days later got caught speeding, haven't got a nips yet been over 2 weeks, that dis heartened me a lot.

Then that same night i hit a stupid ass curb and blew my fork seal ont he right hand side

Then my rear brake pads wore down too much so i get a real anoying sound from the brakes, currently waiting for new ones to come

Now my chains got one siezed link been like it for about 5 days its really anoying me! click click click, more cost that i can't afford.

If you haven't got the NIP within 14 days, you're generally safe.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're starting to sound like warped.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:53 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything is getting a little out of hand then start from the beginning as best you can and work up.
For years I pissed around with 2 strokes, I had more than I care to mention now and at times I felt like it was just bad luck.
I started with some simple maintenance and a few years later and I’m adequate to do most things as long as I have the tools. So really the little niggles can be sorted with a nice selection of tools and some time put aside for the bike. Things like buying a new chain, or brake pads is like a little investment. It might be only a ‘consumable’ but it will repay you in the long run.

I’m not saying this is the option but the way i did it was to get a loan. I got a loan and bought myself a bike that wasn’t on its last legs to begin with, I spent some money of tools and it really took a weight off my mind. I could spend 45 minutes to an hour a couple of times a week and know in my mind she was good for the next few hundred miles.
A shi* bike can destroy the passion i know, I’ve been there many times. Debt is not the ideal solution but i guarantee it will give you a new outlook, even if you are repaying for it for 12-18 months.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:02 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/ Reply with quote

hahadumball wrote:

Stop riding like a dick. Try to keep on top of routine maintainance.

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fucking desperate to get on mine again. Not ridden for 2 weeks 'cos of this fucking knee...
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/ Reply with quote

hahadumball wrote:

PM Mattsprattuk, he's the god of biking so called. Thumbs Up Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:14 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, get forks and brakes done... come do trackday with me and flat mate? Sure i'll find a few more people to button on too. Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:29 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Quote:

Stop abusing your bike, start doing maintainance on it, and get some serious miles under your belt (I mean tens of thousands) so you don't do silly things like run into kerbs.

All we've heard from you is 'how can I make it go faster?', when you can't even make it go round corners. If you hit a kerb hard enough to blow a fork seal you need to think about your riding.

Learn to ride it, and then the enjoyment will come. You haven't lost your 'passion' you've just run out of thrill-seeking ideas.

+1

There are people that have had far more significant 'knocks' to thier passion than you.

Circumstances have left your 'enthusiasm' dampened; that's all.

Question is; did you have 'passion' for bikes to begin with, or merely enthusiasm? And HOW much of either was for BIKES or merely what bikes gave you by way of the cudos of ownership and the thrills of riding?

Ie are you a biker or a rider?

You're NOT getting the cheap thrills you are used to from it; you are getting 'experience' of the 'whole' that surround bikes. Time will tell.

If you get past this and redefine your enthusiasm. As said there's a heck of a lot more to biking than JUST riding and riding quick. If you down scale to a cheaper bike and can find the 'fun' in it; if you can find the enthusiasm to apreciate fixing for seals, rather than blowing them; and taking pride in a job well done..... if you can discover the joy of going to a ride out and simply talking bikes, having been bunnied there.... where its NOT all about the thrill you get from the saddle or the reflected glory of a posey bike...

THEN you'll transend from merely being a rider to being a biker, and THEN you can claim you have 'passion'......

Or enthusiasm will dwindle, and you'll get a car, and a mortgage, and in thirty years time, bore your neighbours kids when they are working on a 125 in thier Dad's drive with how much of a biker you were and what it was like in your 'day'..... and make excuses about how you had to give it up to pay the mortgage, or becouse you needed something with a baby seat......

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Totaly lost my passion for biking already :/ Reply with quote

hahadumball wrote:

Retail therapy, love.

https://www.marinecorpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/menses-preparation-tampax.jpg

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to lose the passion with mine when I dropped it and its starting to look very tatty and my interest in Mountain Biking has overtook my passion for motorbikes.

However on a dry and sunny day, nothing beats the feeling of being free with the bike humming along. I've played with the Idea of getting a car, but why pay £1400 a year insurance £120 a year tax on something that is boring compared to my bike.

Cars and motorbikes are expensive to run. But £4.50 a day on the train to work is a hell of alot more expensive.

Save up, get it fixed and start enjoying it. These Harsh and cold winters make looking forward to the slightly mild summers all the better.

When you get rid of a bike you'll always want one when you see them out on the road.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 19 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I didn't mention it very much (barring a few workshop posts) I was getting pretty pissed off over my Bandit back in the warmer months, fucking thing always worked but just never right and for the money I spent sorting everything out it really didn't feel worth it. (Also just when everything was sorted something minor went i.e. speedo cable, brake bulbs and brakes seized.

Despite all that I never let it get me down, just sorted the problems out, all part of routine you see, shit goes wrong even on Jap bikes when the old age gets to them can cost some £ but generally most repairs can be done.

Bike aren't like partners in a relationship, when shit starts going wrong its up to you to fix it, its a machine its not going to look after itself and in your case, like me, its a aging one at that so some things can be expected to go tits up.

Asking for some help for any maintenance or repair is just fine even for the simple stuff (everyone starts somewhere) but don't just whine about it and put it away in a dark corner letting anxiety build up won't solve shit nor will complaining alone.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2