Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How would you change BCF?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 18:13 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: How would you change BCF? Reply with quote

Exactly like the title says. If you were in charge (you're not, btw, just so that's clear Razz) what would you do to improve BCF?

I've been thinking up ideas to attract more peeps for Summer, but I'd like to know what current users think first. So, shoot...

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 18:15 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about like buisness cards with the adress on and then we can all leave them at local bike shops?

I have recruited two new members today who should be coming on.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 18:20 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a selection of new bikes (R1, 'Blade, ZX10. R6, GSXR600/750 etc) and give all memebers free test rides. Thumbs Up

Get some sort of web link to the IRC chat so people don't have to use MIRC/trillian to chat.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
I have recruited two new members today who should be coming on.

They had better not be anything like you or I'm leaving this forum. Wink

Now that the T-shirts are getting out and about people will probably start looking on here just out of curiosity, wearing those at bike meets will probably attract new members. You could just go out with the shirt on over your leathers and catch every biker you can pointing to your back as you pass. Very Happy

bikerchic17
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:00 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

McJamweasel wrote:
Get some sort of web link to the IRC chat so people don't have to use MIRC/trillian to chat.

Definitely agree with that one!! Thumbs Up It's too much hassle how it is now.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:25 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: How would you change BCF? Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
If you were in charge (you're not, btw, just so that's clear Razz)

Well I'd change that to start with. Razz

I'd change the logo to be the same as on the t-shirts and videos and stuff.
I'd remove the link from NSR125.com or at least make a "50/125cc Forum" and link directly to that.
I can't see the karma system being that attractive to newbies. Like the way it makes you preview your posts if you have below a certain level. That'd piss me off, and I'd go to visordown.com or somewhere else instead.

And that's the lot for the moment. Smile

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 21:30 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Re: How would you change BCF? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
... and I'd go to visordown.com or somewhere else instead.

Oh if only! Laughing

How much better my bandwidth bill would look Razz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:37 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'd also make it so we can host an image pack from our own PC's to save on bandwidth and hits on proxy logs from work Wink.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 22:08 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should think about how big we want the forum to become and therefore how many new users we want to attract.

I quite like how the forum is now TBH, but there seems to be lesser amount of interesting threads recently for some reason. Possibly because most of the regulars sit in IRC and chat there rather than on the forum.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:35 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Start an L-platers forum for the people with the noob questions.

Arrow Kick the FAQ moderator in the bum. Wink

Arrow Replace the videos forum with a link at the top which goes straight to a page of the BCF vids (that ste kept saying he was gonna do). They get lost in amongst the random cack that gets posted there and they are kind of our 'calling card'.

Arrow Maybe make more use of the Usergroups thing for special interest groups rather than regional stuff. Maybe it should be a Learner Usergroup rather than a forum, not sure.

Arrow Pay the moderators a grand a month.

Arrow Set up a 'BCF Shop' page with links to the t-shirts, Tin's stickers if he gets round to them, Danny's insurance service, any affilliate stuff that'll make a few bob...

Penny Coin Penny Coin

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:25 - 16 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
Possibly because most of the regulars sit in IRC and chat there rather than on the forum.

I've noticed that too Confused

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 13:48 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a moderator on another forum who doesn't have a chat room for that very reason. When I asked him about it he said think of the forum as one big chat room, which kinda makes sense. Smile Karma Thumbs Up

Edit: One problem with using the forum as more of a chat room is that the karma system penalises you for short posts. Sad Which I'm sure Korn can fix easily. Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Danny wrote:
Possibly because most of the regulars sit in IRC and chat there rather than on the forum.

I've noticed that too Confused

I reckon having live chat being a CGI IRC script is the answer. The more a forum grow, people get to know others, and its easier talking on IRC than on the forum, hence IRC is used over the forum. Smile

Oh yeah, thinking back to what I first said about karma and newbies, I'd make the karma system let them post normally, but if theier posts get rated badly, then make it help them to post correctly. Dunno, I just think it'd start to annoy me if I joined a forum and had the forum telling me how I should be posting Confused .

Or perhaps this is just all a buildup to April 1st prank on BCF? Laughing Razz

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:06 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learner or 50/125 forum. We get a lot of them, they get a lot of abuse from me and ste , it also makes a lot of dross in general chat.

Can we have it so that the karma actually bans people/deletes their account when they go below 2 red blobs? It would free up a lot of my enemy slots.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get bcf chat back up and running. Then I'd give newbies ten posts 'karma free'. Plus a 125 etc usergroup for smaller bike riders looking for that vital 1-2hp gain. Run by ped boy Scotty. Robby and Ste would be banned from that room...

That'd be it I think, apart from adding a gallery page.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a few mentions of the Karma system, Why not just get rid of it? If there is someone particularly annoying or offensive then I'm sure the moderators can ban them or whatever they wish. I have never seen such a system before on any forum and In my opinion it causes many arguments and unnecessary fights.

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:06 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to a certain extent. People are more worried about the Karma system liking thier post when they write it now rather than people liking it. Confused

Jon
Anyone for donuts?

PostPosted: 22:34 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd change the logo, as I've said before, atleast put the nsr at the back so it hardly shows!

Get rid of the Karma system thing.

Create a 125/learner forum.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:38 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Off Topic]
Nice photo in Fast Bike this month Jon Laughing

[/off topic]

Jon
Anyone for donuts?

PostPosted: 22:49 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
[Off Topic]
Nice photo in Fast Bike this month Jon Laughing

[/off topic]

lol, i didn't even write that letter, the pic was going to be used when introducing me as the latest fb member and the new site but as it's delayed they but it in '15mins of fame'.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 02:17 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a forum for newbies to ask their questions in without bothering the big bike clique Wink

Please note: This isn't the '50/125 forum' idea, just a place for people new to biking - be they after a 50cc ped or a Hayabusa. It is not a dumping ground for all topics about small bikes.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 02:33 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also added this message for new users...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:30 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: I'm sorting something to make it a load easier to 'collate' FAQ threads into something useable and semi-pretty looking Smile.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:51 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Old Posts Archive really needed anymore?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

Have a read, and you'll find some funny stuff. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2