Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Quad insurance any ideas??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lil-jono
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:03 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Quad insurance any ideas?? Reply with quote

Hi guys apologies if this is in the wrong place but I was wondering if anyone has an idea on how much 250 quad insurance might be for a 17/18 year old. My car insurance quotes are £3500+ ridiculous! I love my Cbf 125 but I want to put him away for winter. Im considering a quad as I get bad weather over winter where I live :/ please comment if you have any ideas thanks everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:17 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs a car licence, but for a 250cc cheap quads (most are RWD, so will be fun anyway) go no faster than 50-55mph.

Usually insurance is around the £400 mark. You'll need to garage it though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lil-jono
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:43 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i cant get a quote online they all want to ring me but I don't have the time haha i have passed my car test am about to start my bike one Smile it seems affordable to me and money well spent as for about 2k I can have a vehicle and have it on the road instead of around 5k for a car t&t etc

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the point of quads on the road. You seem to get the worst characteristics of both motorcycles and cars. You're exposed to the elements, have less crash protection and a smaller road presence like a motorbike. You then can't filter, pay more to park and can't use bus lanes like a car.

Isn't getting a dirt cheap, tiny shit-box car for the winter months a better proposition? I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could pick up running t&t car for under £500 with possibly some change. It'll not only keep you warmer, but be safer and you'll also get a radio!

Look around for insurance, maybe ask a parent to insure it and you be a named driver or you could just get temporary insurance over winter, and then sell the car on when the weather warms up.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:40 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Isn't getting a dirt cheap, tiny shit-box car for the winter months a better proposition? I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could pick up running t&t car for under £500 with possibly some change. It'll not only keep you warmer, but be safer and you'll also get a radio!

It might be, but with quad bike insurance being <£500 and any car it seems around the 1l > 2l mark is £1000ish for myself... a new 17/18 driver isn't going to get much luck.

I wore full bike gear on the quad, was toasty Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:03 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Re: Quad insurance any ideas?? Reply with quote

At least with bad weather, quads will slide - it's the good weather they flip over on top of you Smile.

I think I'd put the time and money into learning to ride. Maybe do some off-roading if you can.

Consider getting a spare set of wheels for your current bike and some studs for the tyres, for the worst conditions.

lil-jono
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:46 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust Me I have a car and a Landrover I'm not rich I spent my life savings on a land rover and doing it up and my grandad gave me his OLD golf. I've justified it as I don't want you to think I'm a brat haha. Believe me on classic insurance and anything and everything there's nothing for less than 3k. Ive tried mates cars family cars there's nothing cheap. I'm the biggest hypocrit as I rip the @?£" out of quads haha but it's the only four wheeled option. Im not converting but I can pick my mate up and take him college if he can't get his bike out. Its a practical option Smile shame that it's come to this.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quads are f*cking hilarious in the snow and ice. Honda Foreman 500, leave it in RWD and give it the beans Laughing

Seriously though, worth it for the couple of weeks of snow we'll have? Nah, didn't think so.

Our quad is taxed for 'farm use'. I can still ride it on my bike insurance though Laughing Laughing

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just gonna say, the only reason I would get a quad is for when it snows.

I'd just go for a blast with like MX gear and waterproofs on, up hills ect ect... might even give people lifts Laughing

It would be effort though insuring a Quad for what .. 3 days a year lol, not like the Police are going to take chase!.. Wink

Thumbs Up

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
Was just gonna say, the only reason I would get a quad is for when it snows.

I'd just go for a blast with like MX gear and waterproofs on, up hills ect ect... might even give people lifts Laughing

It would be effort though insuring a Quad for what .. 3 days a year lol, not like the Police are going to take chase!.. Wink

Thumbs Up

In the snow last year I did take the quad to work, just the once. Best commute ever, bar none.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:09 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker24seven wrote:

In the snow last year I did take the quad to work, just the once. Best commute ever, bar none.

Even on the zx9, I was getting there way quicker than the cars when we first got snow at the start of 09.

Start of last year I had a KTM with studded tyres - wheelies in the compressed icey snow, while cars are still seriously struggling Very Happy.

lil-jono
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:16 - 24 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine the fun Smile I could do with a car as I have so many family errands to run and the fact that I can help friends out or take pretty ladies out with me is ace but I could suffice with a quad I think until my bike test is done. I will need it in the snow but I'm a real tight-arse and I'de use it every day if it has been paid for Smile

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 25 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Even on the zx9, I was getting there way quicker than the cars when we first got snow at the start of 09.

Start of last year I had a KTM with studded tyres - wheelies in the compressed icey snow, while cars are still seriously struggling Very Happy.

OK, so from this post i'm getting the impression you can ride a bike like it's a normal rainy day, on the icy roads, if you have studs.

True, or false? (because if it's true, then i'll come into work every day of the winter and not fear for my life/limbs Very Happy )

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:04 - 25 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingah wrote:
stuff about G

Meet G...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbIo8zN0TdQ

Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:49 - 25 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Studs are only for ice/compacted snow.
Given a deep enough layer, it will still be slidey, but no where near as bad.
They won't help on fresh snow.

I put them on to MT21s I think? A pretty capable trail tyre that I could run at low pressure for the softer snow.

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 25 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Ingah wrote:
stuff about G

Meet G...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbIo8zN0TdQ

Laughing

Have done similar (crazy) rides over the last few winters. That said, i was hoping never to have to do it again with a risk of falling over any second, hence wanting to know whether studded tyres are as awesome as suggested.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:05 - 25 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

With fresh snow like that the studs would make no difference.

However, I did go out later that night on the KTM with the aforementioned MT21 trail tyres and it performed 'acceptably'.

A later day, collection sled-making essentials -
https://gees.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v7/p684017855-4.jpg

apexgrinder
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:26 - 26 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've ridden lots of quads off-road which is great but in my opinion they are lethal on the road, even with the correct tyres fitted they are a nightmare to handle!

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 27 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

apexgrinder wrote:
i've ridden lots of quads off-road which is great but in my opinion they are lethal on the road, even with the correct tyres fitted they are a nightmare to handle!

By lethal, you mean fun. Cool

lil-jono
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:08 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the advice. I don't know what to do now. I've considered a winter bike but it'd have to be a 125. I have decided that a quad is a good idea but now you guys mention it I don't know if i would use it often. I'de take the Cbf over a quad any day. I've considered equipping mine with crash bars etc. I don't know what to do :/

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is that every time you get the quad out of the garage, every pikey you pass will be following you and waiting for a chance to steal it.

As a daily commuter it wouldn't be yours for long.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 7 years, 120 days between these two posts...

Wookie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:48 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Insurance problems for my Sahara buggy Reply with quote

I need some help. I had a bad accident on my 1500 bike and was charged and sentenced but now I want to get back on the road using a buggy I have just bought. Can anyone help me with some insurance dealers as no one will insure my Rewaco Trike for another 18 months! As such and car license I thought a buggy would be easy to insure but most companies still consider it as a bike?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 85 days between these two posts...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:41 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikparab wrote:
Insurance is usually not something I would try to get the lowest possible price on. It's a combination of coverage, stability, service, and price. Having said that, it is best to shop around every 2-3 years since many companies have higher rates the 1st year but will have loyalty discounts and cashback to reduce cost in the subsequent years.

Will you just fuck off!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:45 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking

Ste for mod.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 26 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck off please.

(Ste 4 mod.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2