BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZX6R or ZX7R?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:18 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: ZX6R or ZX7R? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about upgrading to a big bike. I really like the two bikes as the title suggests. However, I have an NSR125 at the moment but my test is booked in 2 weeks time. Is the ZX7R just asking for trouble as a firsts big bike? It looks awesome in my opinion. The ZX6R is also nice and would be my 2nd choice for a first big bike. Any advice on this matter would be a great help. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from an NSR125 to a ZXR750 (similar engine to the ZX7) and to be honest I got used to it pretty easy. It's not the same for everyone though...

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:37 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how big you are. A zx7r is a bit heavier than a 600 in really ain't much, if any faster but they do look good. If you can handle the weight then there's no reason not to buy one.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Priller definately has a point there Thumbs Up The only thing to catch me out has been the weight Confused I dropped it whilst pushing it around on a camber Rolling Eyes

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 13:44 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest whats it's dry weight then?

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:45 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX7R is about 200kg.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea just over 200kgs for a newer ZX7. My older ZXR weighs 232kg Shocked ouch!

Danny

PostPosted: 13:49 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Yea just over 200kgs for a newer ZX7. My older ZXR weighs 232kg Shocked ouch!
Bloody hell 232kg, I thought mine was heavy. Surprised Exclamation

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That's bigger than the Yellow Bitch. Laughing

Danny

PostPosted: 13:51 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the bitch Ste? Has the garage poked her in all the right places? Wink Laughing

Jimmy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:52 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ZX7R's engine has about 125bhp compared to the ZX6R's 105bhp, however the ZX7R does weigh almost 20KG more.

Does the ZX7R cost a lot more on insurance?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:54 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
Any news on the bitch Ste? Has the garage poked her in all the right places? Wink Laughing

They've poked Suzuki in all the right places, who are now sending all the right parts to them. Then they get to poke the Bitch in her 'box! Laughing

Then I have to pay for them poking my bitch in her box. Surprised Surprised

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 13:56 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not exactly big. Quite the opposite actually. 5ft 8" and only about 10 Stones in weight. Confused Will this give me trouble? I guess going and checking one out would probably be the answer. Dealers generally don't seem to stock them though. Not that I have noticed anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:59 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant buy them new anymore, so dealer only get what people want to swap and zx7r owners seem to keep hold of them longer that other sportsbikes.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about your build and height and I've got an 02 Blade. It's around the 170kg weight dry and I've not had any problems with it. I've been riding for quite a while though and the weight thing is something you get used to after a while, hopefully before you drop it.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, for the record ZXR750's are notoriously cheaper to insure than the latest sportsbikes. The later ZX-7 I'm not so sure about, but I imagine prices will be similar to the ZXR's.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:36 - 17 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I would expect that a standard ZX7R would only just make the same power as a newer ZX6R. Combined with the fact that they are heavier might mean that it is in fact slower than the 6.

This might not be a bad thing however as the ZX7R is reputed to have the most planted and stable front end in the business - mainly because of its weight. It will out corner most bikes on an uneven surface (IE the road) and will feel great doing it. It is less likely IMO to intimidate you with its power because it is so well controlled.

As long as you think you can handle the weight at low speed and you don't want to be scared silly the first time you ride it... you might be better off with the 7R (IMO). Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
raynin This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:26 - 22 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the throttle cable sticking at all?

Sounds like a fueling problem. Does it matter what gear you are in? Does it do it at any other speeds?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:12 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I doubt it is the throttle cable as the only way it could do this is if it had snapped!

My first guess would be the rubber diaphragms in the carbs. After that look for an air leak after the carbs.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1