BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Machine

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: New Machine Reply with quote

I picked up my AR125A this evening, here she is.

https://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/steeletoe/ar.jpg

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate has one of those in black and red.It also has a gianelli exhaust on it too. Sounds a bit crappy though. Only does 80mph but i think that it is pretty good for something like that. Thumbs Up

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

80mph is fast enough for a 125 if you want to keep your licence Laughing .

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but you will soon get bored of it and want more speed. best off with a nsr125r just like mine Very Happy

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally wanted an NSR but finding a clean example would of cost well over my budget never mind insurance. I saw a real dog of a 1989 NSR, you couldn't of gave it away, and they were still looking 550 for it.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 00:25 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it actually. Especially the green on there. Thumbs Up Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i paid £1000 for a 2001 nsr125r with 9000 miles on the clock. not a bad deal. how much did you pay for the ar125?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, im a bit kawasaki mad, but i really like the look of your AR. I havnt seen any green ones before, just the red/black version. It looks really clean and in good nick too! The restricted AR125 should do 75mph so its just as fast as any NSR125, and if you did fully de-restrict it which is difficult/expensive, then it does 93mph, according to PB's road test, and has 20bhp r/w. If your after a bit more speed then i would go for a Nikon race exhaust, and fit the A version disc valve and carb if you can get them. That would see you up to 85ish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: I know this is petty but... Reply with quote

The tax disc is on the wrong side isn't it - I think there is a requirement for them to be shown on the nearside as opposed to the offside.

Like I said, I know it's pretty petty but if it's going to stop you getting pulled over by a policeman with time on his hands who wants to scrutinize every inch of your bike it might be worth changing.

SteveH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tax discs should be on the left hand side of the bike, forward of the rider, aparently.

I doubt a copper will say anything unless you have done something else like whiz past him at 90 or something.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The BeefMeister
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:10 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. I've never seen the white and green one beforeand I must admit it looks quite nice, true Kwak colours.

I had a black and red 50 and my brother had a white and red one. Mine was well over priced but then again I didn't pay for it.

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Kwak Reply with quote

I personally don't like the look of the NSR. That Kwak looks nice, i would rather have that than a NSR.

baldy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad! nsr-lovely shape, nicely curved, wonderfully fast(ish). AR-square box like bike, oldish and not as fast as the nsr. But that is my opinion. If the nsr wasn't out then i would have probably have bought one. I was originally going to get one after my ped Shocked , my mate was selling his red and black one for £300 in decent condition. Anyway, what do you think of the AR50 Question

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 15:01 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike. Thumbs Up

Is it me or do you have two tax discs? Confused

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 19:22 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a parking permit or something like I had.

If I had a penny for every time someone said 'why have you got two tax discs'... well, I'd have about 10p.

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually the A version?

Looks very nice indeed. Wish mine had been as good as that!

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing beside the tax disc is an MOT thing to say its passed.

It says AR125-A8 on the book, so what version would that make it?

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's restricted or not, the model naming was quite confusing IIRC. I gave the manuals when I sold the bike, so can't help really, sorry. Sad

Best way to find out is to ride it. Smile

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not road legal for a few months yet, so I've just had it round the drive. It sounds nice, really low and rumbles, and has good power delivery in 1st gear (all I've got up to!).

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:10 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks in very good condition, what year is it and how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking Thumbs Up .

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's '91, 20,000 miles and £570.

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
If I had a penny for every time someone said 'why have you got two tax discs'... well, I'd have about 10p.

Should have made it £1 then Bendy and you would have a had a tenner! Sorted! Laughing Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its an A version, then it should say that on the engine/frame No.s. I think the A model was only made up until 91/92, but the restricted B version was produced until 94. Sure the AR dont look as modern or sporty as the NSR, and the suspension, tyres and brakes arnt as modern or good, but it looks cool in a classic 80's way, and is still as quick really as a modern 125, and i know of AR's that have been tuned to go over 100mph and 30bhp at the r/w. They only weigh about 103kg so its lighter than most 125's except maybe for the tiny RG125 Gamma, which is rediculously small! Nice bike mate!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:02 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just remembered that Northern Ireland did not have a 125 learner law until the mid 1990's, and up until then you could ride a 250 as a learner (if you could get insurance). Anyway the side effect of this is that most of the 125s sold (except Hondas) were full power. This is why you have managed to get an A model AR125.

All the best

Keith

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a bonus then, as it saves going to a silly amount of hassle to de-restrict it then. As well as being the best colour AR, its got 24bhp so i would say its a pretty good learner/first machine. A Nikon pipe, a K&N and a bit of re-jetting would finish it off nicely!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2