Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Carburetta conundrum?h

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

nop
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 30 Oct 2011    Post subject: Carburetta conundrum?h Reply with quote

So I have just passed my test and have a badass bike. woot. Alas there is a small problem (as always).

I have an Yamaha XT600. This bike has a twin carb. It runs fine (a little bit tough to kick start). The problem is when I am stopping and brake sharply, the front end dives (which is what I would expect from long travel suspension) and the engine cuts out. This has become quite embarrassing at traffic lights as you may guess. I am sometimes able to stop the cutting out if I give the throttle a bit of a rev as I come to a stop. There is always a strong petrol smell to the exhaust when I do this.

Is this a carb problem? If so, what would be the best route to diagnosing it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 30 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

strip, and clean the carb, also check the float hights. my GS5 used to do it, it seemed to stop after giving the carbs gppd clean.

it may be worth checking to make sure the jets sizes are correct (some one may have fannied around with it at some point)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

spyuggy
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 29 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 31 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the floats are too high and not enough fuel in the chamber, when you brake hard the floats move and stop the fuel entering the chamber, could be fuel starvation.
Alternative method====don't brake so hard, it knackers up tyres, brake pads, suspension and even accelerates chain wear.
Good luck with it.
____________________
Treat each day as if it was your last, because one day you will be right.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 31 Oct 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the float height and the condition of the float and needle. I would replace the needle as a matter of course.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nop
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will strip and inspect the carbs this weekend and report back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nop
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I pump a load of brake cleaner through my carbs?

i.e. remove the fuel inlet hose, open the carb drain plug and pump like a can of brake cleaner through?


Or is this a retarded idea that will rape my o-ring?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnser
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 19 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:14 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really ought to dismantle and clean... would want to run the risk of having your O-ring raped? (snigger)

if you did want to try it, I'd go with carb cleaner rather than brake cleaner - possibly chemically identical but it'd be nice to think someone thought about its application when making it
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:29 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnser wrote:
you really ought to dismantle and clean... would want to run the risk of having your O-ring raped? (snigger)

if you did want to try it, I'd go with carb cleaner rather than brake cleaner - possibly chemically identical but it'd be nice to think someone thought about its application when making it


I'm reasonable sure carb cleaner and brake cleaner is the same.

By all means spray it at anything you can get to but don't expect it to do anything.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nop
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

God DAMNIT.

My engine stalls when I brake hard. It reaks of petrol, is running well rich and I am getting shit MPG. When it stalls it is like the bike is choking. Like there is something choked on the engine, like the engine has some kind of choke and it is on all the time choking.

Like the choke is on all the time. Like I didn't know which way around the choke works.

Derp.

https://photoface.webs.com/photos/Random-Photos/I-can-count-to-potato.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.34 Sec - Server Load: 3.29 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 59.99 Kb