View previous topic : View next topic  

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Hazard Lights Reply with quote

Why don't ALL bikes have them?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:29 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because if you're in a situation where you'd need hazard lights, you should be elsewhere.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would bikes need them? Cars only need them when they are stuck in awkward/dangerous places.

In case you hadn't noticed, most bikes can be wheeled out the way when they break down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Hazard Lights Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:

Seeing as most other road user can fail to spot you with your headlight on full beam, dayglow paintwork and a Hi-vis vest, what difference do you think a set of hazards is going to make? Confused

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Hazard Lights Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Seeing as most other road user can fail to spot you with your headlight on full beam, dayglow paintwork and a Hi-vis vest, what difference do you think a set of hazards is going to make? Confused

every little helps

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Hazard Lights Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:

Also ashtrays.

And radios.

And reverse gear.

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Hazard Lights Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:

And reverse gear.

Actually I have needed it occasionally.

just to creep slowly backwards.....

ok...So I fail on hazard lights.....PFFT

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellbound wrote:

Bikes are narrow enough to just use the indicators. Similarly, bikes only need one tail light, one brake light ect. I can't see much benefit coming from having hazard lights spaced 12 inches apart Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:19 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

How many riders feel the need to boast when they have created a hazard?

Razz

All the best

Keith

felicity
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:22 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Bikes are narrow enough to just use the indicators.

The OP is not suggesting that bikes should have another set of lights (which would be very silly), but that they should have a way to make the existing indicators work as hazard lights.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felicity wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Bikes are narrow enough to just use the indicators.

The OP is not suggesting that bikes should have another set of lights (which would be very silly), but that they should have a way to make the existing indicators work as hazard lights.

and Im-a-Ridah was just saying, use one indicator if you breakdown. Better still move it out of harms way.

felicity
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
and Im-a-Ridah was just saying, use one indicator if you breakdown. Better still move it out of harms way.

I realised that just after I posted...

... however, I don't think a single indicator would be a very effective hazard light. Since it would look like you were just indicating.

(But I don't see much need for them in the first place, either.)

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely the correct answer to one of the theory test questions is to switch on your hazard lights, how if you haven't got any?

Imonster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only times I really used them on the few bikes I've had with them fitted was when motorway traffic was slowing down rapidly and I wasn't convinced that the weedy little brake light would be seen by the fast approaching two tons of metal behind.

Every little helps indeed.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imonster wrote:
The only times I really used them on the few bikes I've had with them fitted was when motorway traffic was slowing down rapidly and I wasn't convinced that the weedy little brake light would be seen by the fast approaching two tons of metal behind.

Every little helps indeed.

+1, or when stopped to help at the scene of an accident as first on scene and needing to warn traffic behind that there is a hazard infront of my bike
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Imonster.

[edit] and Tim. Thumbs Up

CBA fitting some tho.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 01 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointless things anyway, the only time I've used them is on the motorway when there is a sudden snarl up. Silly sods are too busy looking into their phones anyway to even notice.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:03 - 02 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

G's bike had a hazard button.

Came in handy when mate broke down and it was a shit road.

Also when we couldnt go any faster than 10mph due to a super slack chain, on came the hazards.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 18:15 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used mine a couple of weeks ago - I was wobbling along a NSL twisty road with a completely flat back tyre. I was a hazard therefore I used my hazard lights to warn people.

It seems odd that they seem to be fitted completely randomly, the GSXR is the first bike I've owned that has them, yet I've owned newer bikes and more 'sensible' bikes which didn't.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has them and I often use them on the motorway when traffic in front slows down quickly and I need to alert the person behind me of the rapidness. I've also used them when I have needed to enter the hard shoulder for a breakdown. I have also used them at the scene of accidents to help alert others that there was a biker down in the middle of the road. The thing that bugs me is that I can't remove the ignition key when I have them activated.

hellbound
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stall at the front of a junction and there's a queue behind you and either side, how do you push it out of the way if it doesn't start first time?

Motorway congestion is another good use for them as its warning of a hazard.

I just think its not exactly hard to have them fitted from factory for that little bit more visibility.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:45 - 04 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like mine for filtering, though there is the worry someone will think you're turning if they only see one.

Kickstart wrote:

How many riders feel the need to boast when they have created a hazard?

Quite a lot, judging by BCF Wink.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 280 days between these two posts...

Flemy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 06:00 - 11 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to this, I work on a industrial site that has a hazard lights policy for when driving on-site. So there you go, could do with hazards on my bike.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 6 years, 207 days between these two posts...

trikemann
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any detail on how to fit hazards to my Yamaha 900 Diversion trike,( MOT requirement )

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 04 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Strangely the correct answer to one of the theory test questions is to switch on your hazard lights, how if you haven't got any?

You just go like this:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/zLBQYkwGGQdJC/200.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2