Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


125cc engine into 50cc frame questions.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

benandthe
Traffic Copper



Joined: 24 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:45 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: 125cc engine into 50cc frame questions. Reply with quote

Hi all, long time no speak, stupid internet died. Sad

I've been busy off in my own little world, and have acquired myself a set of Gilera Runner 125 SP (2-stroke) 125cc cases.

My plan is to get all the bits and pieces I need for it and eventually fit it into my Piaggio NRG MC3 frame.

I know it's possible as I've seen it done before, it just requires 1-2mm of grinding down on each engine mount.

The thing I'm curious about is what the DVLA/DVLC will say about the change?

Will they ask me to take it to a DVLC centre to get it tested that it is a 125?
Will I be able to just change the engine number and cc on the logbook?

Obviously insurance is going to be a little bit of a pain, but after speaking to my insurance company, it's actually cheaper to put the bigger engine in this frame than it is to use the 125 engine in the 125 bike...

Anyone ever changed an engine over/ put a larger engine in their bike? What's the process?

Thanks everyone!
____________________
Sold: NRG 50cc, SR125cc, CBR125cc, Mito MK 1 125cc, Speedfight 50cc, Stomp 125cc, cbr125cc, NRG 172cc, CBF 125cc, Zip 70cc, stomp 140cc
Current: CB500 (waiting on DAS)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MickC
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:04 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

To re-reg you need:

1- Bill of sale on headed note paper - It must state the engine number,the exact CC and the fuel type.

2-RAC/AA vehicle inspectors report

3-Mechanics report

They will except anyone of the above three
____________________
XX XXXx
Previous: CG125,XS250 (converted to 400),Z250A, GPZ550, Norton Commando, XS500, 78 Laverda Jota, GPZ1100,Harris bonneville, XV750 (mono shock),TR1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

benandthe
Traffic Copper



Joined: 24 May 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:49 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well the engine was picked up second hand from a friend, not stolen, but just a spare that he had. It has the engine number on it.

How do I get a RAC/ AA Inspectors/ Mechanics report?
I.E. What am I asking them to inspect?

Surely I can get proof from the DLVA/ DVLC that, from the engine number, what the make and model of the engine and the CC of it is?

Thanks! Thumbs Up
____________________
Sold: NRG 50cc, SR125cc, CBR125cc, Mito MK 1 125cc, Speedfight 50cc, Stomp 125cc, cbr125cc, NRG 172cc, CBF 125cc, Zip 70cc, stomp 140cc
Current: CB500 (waiting on DAS)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MickC
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

benandthenrg wrote:
Ah, well the engine was picked up second hand from a friend, not stolen, but just a spare that he had. It has the engine number on it.

How do I get a RAC/ AA Inspectors/ Mechanics report?
I.E. What am I asking them to inspect?

Surely I can get proof from the DLVA/ DVLC that, from the engine number, what the make and model of the engine and the CC of it is?

Thanks! Thumbs Up


You'll probably have to do the AA/RAC one then (I got my 900 engine from a breakers who supplied the necessary documentation - It was just a hand written receipt with a Pheonix symbol at the top of the page)
To get them to inspect it you'll have to ring one or the other and make the arrangements with them ( If i remember rightly the AA charge £140ish to do it, i think the RAC was a bit cheaper)
It may be cheaper from a local bike shop (engineers report-I know 'Fizzer Thou' on here says he's a bike mechanic so he may know the cost)
____________________
XX XXXx
Previous: CG125,XS250 (converted to 400),Z250A, GPZ550, Norton Commando, XS500, 78 Laverda Jota, GPZ1100,Harris bonneville, XV750 (mono shock),TR1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 03 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are changing vehicle 'class' from 'Moped' to 'Motorcycle'
It will require FULL re-Registration, and VOSA inspection, against C&U regs for the new class of vehicle (regs for mopeds significantly relaxed), not merely a change of registration details that they simply accept independent verification of, or NEW registration where they will accept importers Reciept or Providence letter from Owners club etc.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 47.43 Kb