Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

nsr125rw 1998

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

daveyboy2002
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:19 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: the lights are on but no1's home Reply with quote

hello all, i want to tickle your brains for a moment.
ive just bought a nsr125rw 1998, it hasn't been on the road for ova a year, but just a change of a spark plug, fuel and gear box oil it now starts first time and ticks ova nicely, but............................
ive got it all finished ready 4 the MOT so i took it for a spin just to make sure everything is ok. the bike under 7000rpm runs fine but soon as i put some power on it, the power valve kicks in like a bullet and the engin dies, back wheel locks up and i go skidding down the road Sad as if its seazed under the heat, any ideas why this would happen only when i hit 8 grand?

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:00 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it seized? was it upto temp before you reved it hard and has it got any 2 stroke oil?

Can the powervalve on a nsr touch the piston?

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: nsr125rw Reply with quote

hi priller,
the engine isn't seized coz i can start the bike up again straight after it dies and locks, but when it locks up at about 7-8000rpm its as if the piston is seizing. 2 stroke oil is fine but i dont know about the power valve touching, should it?
i've bin chatting with a bike shop and they said i ts a commom fault and i all i need to do is increase the fuel mixture. what d'you think?
i dont really want to start rebuilding the engine if thats the case.
oh and when i ride it i always get the engine warm,
You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:01 - 18 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is running lean enough to seize it will wreck the piston. I woudl doubt that is the problem as it starts afterwards.

Is it really locking the back wheel, or just totally loosing power? If the latter then check the fuel hose and fuel tank breather, and clean out the carb.

The NSR power valve cannot really touch the piston.

All the best

Keith

daveyboy2002
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:14 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: now another problem Reply with quote

hi all,
i managed to find out why my wheel was locking up, the 2 stoke oil hose wasn't properly attached Mr. Green
thanx for you help.
so now ive had it running supperbly and took the restrictor out finished off the cosmetics now ready for the MOT.
but last night it started first time with the choke, after a minute it died and wont start again. i tried easy start, heating of the plug that is brand new but no joy. (theres always something) i had a gander at the spark plug and found that it produces a huge spark from the out side of the plug to something metal, even a hose, but not a good spark in the element its self. could this be a faulty HT lead, plug od my coil. the battery is fine.

if anyone can help it will be apreciated.
cheers

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:33 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Sounds like a faulty plug, or possibly plug cap.

If could well be that you have trashed the piston by having the bike not have any 2 stroke oil.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1