Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

cbt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to New Bikers by Bendy (19 Mar 2004 - 19:09)
View previous topic : View next topic  

2wheeled freeek
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:07 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: cbt Reply with quote

Very Happy hi all got a question im doing my cbt on sun on a cb 125 gearerd first time ben on geared bike what would happan if i couldnt get used to the gears are they faily easy to master would i fail my cbt also thinkingbowt getting a cbr 125 has anyone bought one ? would love to no how well they handle and what speed they can be pushed at. also what stuff do ya do on a cbt test.

hope ya can give me some advice.

2 wheeeled freeek.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CBT instructor assumes you have no experience whatsoever. So they will teach you gears - if you don't get the hang of them to a vague level by the end of the day, you have to do another day's CBT if they're not happy that you're safe to be on the road.

You'll generally spend the morning twatting round a carpark learning the basics, then you go out on the road for 2 hours to put what you learnt into practice.

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you couldn't get used to the gears you wouldn't be given a CBT certificate. It's not actually a test though, and you don't have to be pefect (or even close).

I won't bother to say much about the CBR125, because someone else will, but you'd be much better off getting an older 2 stroke bike, because it'll be more powerful and cheaper in all aspects.

A CBR125 could probably manage about 70mph, and probably wouldn't handle very well at all, it's got really small tyres after all.

There's some info here on what you do on the CBT. It's mainly riding in a carpark, then a little riding on the road.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 20:14 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears are fairly easy to grasp the basics of, and for your CBT, basics are all you should really need. You will be taught how to change gears as it is a pretty important part of riding a geared bike.

The CBR125 was introduced as a replacement to the more powerful, more responsive, better looking and physically bigger bike, the NSR125R. Being a four stroke, the CBR does not produce as much power as the two-stroke NSR, although it does produce it more smoothly. The CBR125 would probably be a decent bike to learn gears on, but my advice would be to get an NSR, as they're far better, in terms of looks and performance.

The CBR125 is expected to top out at about 85, but due to the tiny fairing and minimal screen, It wouldn't be very comfortable approaching those speeds. The NSR on the other hand tops out at about 95/100 and the larger fairing and screen keep you reasonably comfortable.

To sum it up mate, Don't worry about the gears, you'll grasp them quickly. Don't get a CBR125, get an NSR, they're much better. Have a good time, and good luck on your CBT.

Andy

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:17 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR125 won't do much more than 75.

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:17 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing my cbt on the 3rd of April. I am getting an NSR125R-R, for free. If you can find out the insurance for you on the CBR, then I would like to compare the prices. By the way, the insurance is around £1100 for me, (aged 17)

Craig G (Noggin)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:23 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What insurance you getting for 1.1k? Confused

2wheeled freeek
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the replys guys im looking forward to me cbt just a bit nervous riding geared bike once ive passed it i wanna buy a geared bike on finance is there anywhere were i could get a nsr 125 from on finance again advice is well appriciated!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:51 - 19 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go for finace. They rip you off. Get a loan from a bank.

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:04 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance is to be third party fire and theft, me think I have a lot of saving to do

Craig G (Noggin)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:18 - 21 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get fully comp for less than that. Shop around more & haggle.

kamperz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:49 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: 2wheeled freak Reply with quote

I got a CBR 125, handles good, slides a bit in the wet, but im sure it happens with most bike when pushed in the rain. iv got 75-80 out of it, cant see it going any faster unless i ride of a very high cliff. its a very good first bike, i passed my cbt on it, the instucters had never seen one before, they were immpressed.

kamperz

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my CBT yesterday on an Aprilia SR. I tried to pass it last week on a geared bike, but was having difficulty with clutch control Sad , so I went back yesterday and passed on an automatic. I can still get a geared bike to learn on, so I'm opting for the NSR. I too am worried about using the gears, as I never made it into second the first time. However, with quiet roads, L plates and insurance I know I can practice till I get it right. If I need any help, I can always contact my CBT instructors for guidance or book a lesson. You can't actually fail a CBT Very Happy , you just keep going back at no extra cost until you are given your certificate.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 15:20 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad move!

You should have let your instructor teach you how to work the gears, rather than just passing on an automatic then trying to teach them to yourself.

In my opinion, if you want to ride a geared bike, you should do the CBT on a geared bike, makes sense doesn't it?

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it does make sense, but with limited time to keep going back (I work 6 days a week), and advice from the instructor I decided that I was going to pass the easy way! And it's not like I've never ridden a geared bike before...

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 24 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a difficult call, some people learn easier on the own terms with practice, whilst some can listen and covert it into usable technique.

If you are learning to ride a geared bike on your own then the only thing I would say is, really do find somewhere quiet and make sure that you don't mind throwing your own machine on the floor. Stalling it or being off balance and dropping a bike are the easiest things in the world to do if you aren't used to handling a bike.

At the end it may be worth spending an extra day with an instructor to gain some more experience and if you do drop the bike it isn't yours. After all it's only another day.

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:59 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden my NSR twice in a car park for a couple of hours each time, and I only stalled it. So I hope it just stays at stalling, and no dropping!

Craig G (Noggin)

Mattastic
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:30 - 28 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CBT is the easiest thing in the world to pass, I do not know how anyone could fail it. I did it after last Wednesday after never being on a bike before, simple.

mojo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:00 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

hello i am new on this site but i have been on a moped off road personally i don't like mopeds but i know many do. i intend to do my cbt a soon as i turn 16 my mum is a qualified cbt instructor so she has advised me to do my cbt on a geared 50cc bike and i have seen many geared bikes in " What Bike?" but obviously that magazine shows brand new bikes so does any one know were i can pick up a good 50cc bike preferably not a trials bike.

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:05 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you all know, the message previous in this section of me getting quoted £1100 for insurance tpft has now been beaten. I have managed to get £798 with excess of £350.

Craig G(Noggin)
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1