30%  [ 20 ]
No
69%
 69%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 66

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Fitness Reply with quote

Just reading an article, and it poses the question "can you run 10 miles?" I can't. I'd be fucked after half a mile, tops. I break into a sweat putting my socks on.

So BCF, simple question, can you?

[edit] By run I mean anything from a jog upwards, so say 10 minutes per mile at least.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Last edited by The Shaggy D.A. on 12:39 - 20 Nov 2011; edited 1 time in total

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you mean by "run".

Could I sprint 10 miles? No.

Could I run ten miles at a reasonable pace? No.

Could I jog it? ...No.

Laughing OK guess it didn't matter too much what you meant.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I've tried but I'm guessing no. I walk roughly 5 miles a day and that's as much exercise as I want.

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can run 10 miles doesn't mean I would like to or would go out and do this. I'm generally ready to keel over and die at the 6-8 mile mark.

Given sufficient motivation I can, like the with job I really really wanted but required superhuman fitness to apply for.

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance, I think I'd probably collapse at 2-3 miles. I have no intention of trying to change this.

GHostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walk quite a lot (walking the dogs, or the occasional 5 mile walk to and from work), but no running for Dazbo for some years... unless it's the last 20 yards running to catch a bus Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:46 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Fitness Reply with quote

Walk over ten miles - definitely.
Cycle 50-60 miles - sure.

Doubt it for running ten miles and definitely not keeping up a consistent 6mph; but never been a big one for running and generally avoid it as it seems to do my back in.
When late, did jog a mile and a half with the dog a few months ago and was glad to see I didn't entirely die (a tad over 15 mins for the jog I think.) But not sure I could have carried on to complete that many more.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure with enough motivation and a few weeks prep i could do it,
but my time of forced running in the army has made me adverse to running if i can help it Very Happy

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I probably could, I used to do 6 miles every other evening when I was on a bit of a get fit mission. I don't run now but still cycle and walk a fair bit.
I found that I'd always start running at too fast a pace then get knackered, but once I found the right pace I could just settle into a rhythm and plod on. Once I got into a rhythm it wouldn't really matter if it was 2 miles or 12 miles I'm sort of on autopilot.
I probably wouldn't be doing much for the rest of the day though. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run 10 miles? Nope. I probably couldnt even walk 10 miles. I get knackered walking the 50 meters to the bike! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The furthest I have ever ran is about 8 miles, so I dont see why 10 miles should be a problem.

Regularly do 6-7 miles each night at the gym and [for me anyway] once you have past the 4 mile barrier it gets monotonous and you just keep running without even thinking about it and without any effort at all.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm? different types of fitness.

I know that if I tried to jog/run 10 miles these days , I`d end up in a heap Sad
But I know that I could make quick progress/walk for hours & hours on end ie 8-10 hours carrying a pack not a problem.
I`ve swam 5 miles in in go and it was`nt a problem (no not in a swimming pool where you can put your feet down).
But ask me to compete in a swimming race and I`d be fooked Shocked .

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could do it with no stop motion at a pace greater than a walk but i couldnt maintain a 10 minute mile pace for 10 miles... i could probs do it at 12 minute mile pace...
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 14:21 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, no. Mainly for boredom if nothing else. I find running so bastard tedious that I can only handle jog/sprint/jog/sprint/walk/jog... kind of 'runs'.

Even at my recent 'peak' I was fairly shagged after about 3 miles running, I'm really not built for running distance. Great at sprinting though.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 14:24 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah probably. I can run 5 miles easy enough and can cycle 100 miles no problem.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Fitness Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Right now, could you run 10 miles?

Dont be fkin stupid.....

Wink

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whyt would I want to run 10 miles...... Confused

When I have a good bike and car that will both do it with far less effort on my part. Thumbs Up

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this moment in time, not a chance in hell!

I've just got back from a 2.5 mile run, in 23:04 and that was enough for me!

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Fitness Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

Dont be fkin stupid.....

Wink

Depends who's chasing you

Quote:
A man was ordered by his doctor to lose 75 lbs. due to very serious Health risks. As he wondered how in the heck he would ever do it, he ran across an ad in the newspaper for a GUARANTEED WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM. "Guaranteed. Yeah right!" he thought to himself. But desperate, he calls them up and subscribes to the 3-day/10 pound weight loss program.

The next day there's a knock at his door, and when he answers, there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old young lady dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign round her neck. She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company. The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me!" Without a second thought he takes off after her. A few miles later, Huffing and puffing, he finally catches her and has his way with her.

After they are through and she leaves, he thinks to himself, "I like the way this company does business!" The same girl shows up for the next two days and the same thing happens. On the fourth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10lb. as promsed.

He calls the company and orders their 5-day/ 20 pound program. The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning, beautiful, sexy woman he has ever seen in his life, wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you catch me, you can have me." He's out the door or after her like a shot. This girl is in excellent shape and it takes him a while to catch her, but when he does, it is worth every cramp and wheeze. For the next four days, the same routine happens. Much to his delight, on the fifth day, he weighs himself and found he has lost another 20 lbs.as promised.

He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/50

Pound program. "Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program." Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years". The next day there's a knock at the door and when he opens it he finds a muscular guy standing here wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads, "If I catch you, you're mine."

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Fitness Reply with quote

fatpies wrote:

Or who you are chasing.....

https://thedemotivators.com/wp-content/uploads/original/2011_09/jailbait.jpg

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just. I can do about 6-7, but it knackers my knees big time, and I hate jogging/running.

Cycling FTW.

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Re: Fitness Reply with quote

fatpies wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

Dont be fkin stupid.....

Wink

Quote:
A man was ordered by his doctor to lose 75 lbs. due to very serious Health risks. As he wondered how in the heck he would ever do it, he ran across an ad in the newspaper for a GUARANTEED WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM. "Guaranteed. Yeah right!" he thought to himself. But desperate, he calls them up and subscribes to the 3-day/10 pound weight loss program.

The next day there's a knock at his door, and when he answers, there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old young lady dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign round her neck. She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company. The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me!" Without a second thought he takes off after her. A few miles later, Huffing and puffing, he finally catches her and has his way with her.

After they are through and she leaves, he thinks to himself, "I like the way this company does business!" The same girl shows up for the next two days and the same thing happens. On the fourth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10lb. as promsed.

He calls the company and orders their 5-day/ 20 pound program. The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning, beautiful, sexy woman he has ever seen in his life, wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you catch me, you can have me." He's out the door or after her like a shot. This girl is in excellent shape and it takes him a while to catch her, but when he does, it is worth every cramp and wheeze. For the next four days, the same routine happens. Much to his delight, on the fifth day, he weighs himself and found he has lost another 20 lbs.as promised.

He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/50

Pound program. "Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program." Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years". The next day there's a knock at the door and when he opens it he finds a muscular guy standing here wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads, "If I catch you, you're mine."

You know they are playing hard to get when they start running away from you!

Asharin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

February this year..no bloody way, I was an overweight slob.

Now? Yes I probably could.
I run 3 - 5 miles a day now anyway and could do more but don't, as I don't really have the time...

I've done 7 minute miles for a 5 mile run before and wasn't overly knackered afterwards so I reckon I could do 10 minute miles for a 10 mile run easily enough.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I can't run, not since I got my leg/foot/ankle crushed in my crash 13years ago. Apart from the bits of exercise I get from walking/hiking (on occasion) and supermarket shopping I do with clients at work, I barely do anything.

But, I am still slim. Cool

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 18:05 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but 4 months ago, no.

I go 5 miles every working day at around 7.5 minute miles. Though the past week I have retreated out of the cold and into the gym. I have always been dead against the gym idea when there is a free alternative, but i've had enough of being cold and muddy.

6-8 miles is about my limit of 'fun'. After that it starts eating into your day a bit much. 10 miles would take most well over an hour, and starts taking you into pain and misery territory.

10 miles is not an insignificant level of fitness in terms of what 'most' people can do. It's taken me 4 months to get this far, and I wasn't exactly a fat blob before. Whilst to some extent, if you can run 2 you can run 10, I'd say 3 miles would be a more appropriate target for most people.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2