Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exhaust joint blowing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Harris Tweed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 20 Nov 2011    Post subject: Exhaust joint blowing Reply with quote

I've got a stainless 4-into-1 that's blowing at the joint where the back pipe (and can) meet the collector box/joint of the front section. I separated the sections, both looked in good order though one end had flakes of rust, I cleaned both ends and re-sealed with exhaust paste. The joint seems to always last for a week or so and then it starts blowing again. I've tried exhaust paste and epoxy resin but the story is the same. I've heard that high-temp silicone sealant is the way to go on stainless due to expansion? Any advice?

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this

https://reviews.halfords.com/4028/741520/reviews.htm

Dries hard and not blown out yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:21 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like the joint mating is out.
The can should slip over the downpipe.
It should be a tight to awkward slip.
Maybe the pipe is worn so you may need to re-work the can by making the splits a little wider so the part of the joint that is the can is able to squeeze a little tighter.
Gun Gum etc. is to exhausts as gaffa tape is to bodywork repair.

If you do not want to cut your can then use a steel can to wrap around the pipe and increase it's diameter slightly to get the tight metal to metal fit.
The tight fit gives the gas-tight seal.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fitting between the silencer and the downpipes is not a slip fit it might need one of these

https://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/524831/Exhausts/Exhaust-Gaskets/On-Two-Wheels

Always have a 'Plan B'

Harris Tweed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I think you are right, the joint has worn and will probably need a seal and some better sealant. Thanks for the www links too, much appreciated.

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say GSX750W do you mean the GSX750 FW Teapot??. If so Suzuki use a large diameter composite gasket to join the collector to the link pipe on most of the oil cooled motors including the Teapot, if thats gone then it's hard to seal it as stuff keeps getting blown out.
Have you still got a clamp on the joint?? if not that's your main problem the mild steel collar has rotted away same as you get on Bandits. It need cleaning up and a replacement collar in stainless welding in to make it as good as new again. Otherwise you're looking at a new exhaust.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:21 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear bathroom silicone from B&Q for exhausts. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Thumbs Up

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dow-corning-flue-silicone-red/31593;jsessionid=zQ0jTKFTwQdS52yFVVhr0drR41JThZGYQ0GwH1vyN9NynQvp4PVs!484978413

Screwfix are not (always) cheap BTW.

B&Q will take about the same for their cheap own label bathroom sealant.

https://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11348631&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372013}/categories%3C{9372031}/categories%3C{9372100}/specificationsProductType=sealants

Harris Tweed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzer wrote:
When you say GSX750W do you mean the GSX750 FW Teapot??. If so Suzuki use a large diameter composite gasket to join the collector to the link pipe on most of the oil cooled motors including the Teapot, if thats gone then it's hard to seal it as stuff keeps getting blown out.
Have you still got a clamp on the joint?? if not that's your main problem the mild steel collar has rotted away same as you get on Bandits. It need cleaning up and a replacement collar in stainless welding in to make it as good as new again. Otherwise you're looking at a new exhaust.

Hi there, it's a GSX750w retro (Inazuma). Looking at the posts here from you guys (and girls?) I was convinced that the flakes of rust I cleaned off were the remains of some kind of mild steel gasket or collar sitting in the collector box. So, I got hold of a Haynes manual and it confirms there there is supposed to be a gasket. I was lucky enough to locate a new clamp a few weeks ago (it has a nice chrome shield around it hiding the joint). I'll start looking for a collar to fit as well.

Thanks all, I now know the reason why it's blowing, it didn't occur to me that there was an extra piece. Cheers for the help, much appreciated.

kingsmith
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:54 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Clear bathroom silicone from B&Q for exhausts. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Thumbs Up

snap cheap as chips use on me car, bike and house Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

+1 with this.
I've currently got B&Q silicone sealant on the exhaust joint of the Bandit. The bike has been used almost daily for the past month+ with no problems Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazbo666 wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

+1 with this.
I've currently got B&Q silicone sealant on the exhaust joint of the Bandit. The bike has been used almost daily for the past month+ with no problems Thumbs Up

You might be lucky and it stay in for a while if the whole assembly is there but the OP is also missing the collar which has rusted off "the dreaded Bandit collector rot" so there's no chance of silicone or anything else lasting there at the joint.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bezzer wrote:
You might be lucky and it stay in for a while if the whole assembly is there but the OP is also missing the collar which has rusted off "the dreaded Bandit collector rot" so there's no chance of silicone or anything else lasting there at the joint.

My Bandit has suffered collar rot, and the silicone sealant still works for me... although the link pipe is long enough the fit inside the remainder of the collector, which helps

Harris Tweed
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 22 Nov 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Located a gasket/collar which is on the way. I think I'll try a spot of silicone too but I can't believe the standard B&Q stuff will do the trick though!
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 9 years, 282 days between these two posts...

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a "holy thread resurrection Batman" moment so apologies but I want to try the B&Q sealant trick on my exhaust to prevent it leaking.

I know nothing about bathroom sealant but I went to B&Q and they had "interior bathroom clear silicone sealant" and "interior & exterior clear silicone sealant". Which is better please? I got both just in case but would prefer to use the optimum product from the start Smile

It was about £3 a tube by the way so very affordable!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go with the outdoor stuff.

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:59 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stinkwheel and welcome back to this thread after a decade away. It is the better for your return Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:11 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In honesty, I just use whatever's in the shed and isn't totally fossilised in the tube but I'd imagine outdoor stuff will have some sort of UV protectant in it.

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:19 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In honesty, I just use whatever's in the shed and isn't totally fossilised in the tube but I'd imagine outdoor stuff will have some sort of UV protectant in it.

Thanks! Is UV protectant going to noxiously burn off the moment it gets a whiff of some scalding exhaust fumes causing me to fall unconscious from the bike under the wheels of a bus? Or is it durable enough to bravely cling on and therefore a good thing?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:22 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outdoor or indoor sealant won't last for as long as this thread. That's a given.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:33 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used silicone sealant of the exhaust header of an air-cooled bike before today. It's also sealing the flue of my wood burning stove.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are good up to 300° Centipede.
AGA/Rayburn stoves use a high temp sillycunt sealant (from 3m) to glue the SS rope seal into the edge of the hotplate covers.

Last edited by MCN on 22:18 - 01 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find it, get some flue sealant.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1