Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Homegrown digital dash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Codemonkey
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:23 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Very Happy

One thing that would be worth double checking before you finish is the operating temperature range of the LCD module. Some of them have pretty low minimum temperatures and just turn black when they drop below them. Might be worth bunging it in the freezer for an hour to check it!

Also make sure you add some sort of voltage spike protection to the power supply input. Chances are there will be some nasty spikes that get coupled into the power supply lines, a transorb or similar with a resettable in line fuse is a good start.

Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:18 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Codemonkey wrote:
interesting stuff

Nominal temperature range is -40C to 85C, and I don't think we're going to get too many Siberian winters on the trot, so it should be OK. I'm liking the fuse/power smoothing suggestions, though, and I will look into them. THe board's got a certain amount of power regulation and surge protection built in, but given that most of the inputs from the bike are going to have to be stepped down from 12V to 5V anyway, it won't hurt to include some kind of surge protection alongside that, I guess.

Also, to go back a post or two, the ECU thing is just an idea - don't go taking it as gospel at the moment. I genuinely have no clue as to whether or not I could code an ECU, and I'm not about to find out. At least, not until I've gotten this sorted.
There was a guy who wrote the beginnings of an ECU with an arduino board, for an SV650 weirdly enough. He struggled to get the injector timings right, though, so I'm not sure how well-suited the arduino is to the job.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:00 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven_191 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure on what all this lot is but I'm 99% sure that I want to play with it. Its far to close to what I do at work for me not to be interested.

The only difference will be the code and what it controls.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your sending inputs from sensors or digital inputs in and writing code to deal with it, calculations etc, then sending it out to the display? What, other than the display, will you be using as an output?

And yes do something with the GPS. And while your at it, add a remote start from your phone.

You're correct - what I'm really doing is just re-presenting all of the data from a bunch of sensors.

Outputs; the only ones will be an SD card, and the screen itself. I have no idea what currently goes on between the stock dash and the ecu - I know that error codes are handled, and that you can synch the throttle bodies between the two of them, but I genuinely don't know how that data is presented, or how it is initiated as a process. I have a spare ECU, but if someone has a spare stock gen2 SV dash that I can hack up, I'd be appreciative. I'm intending to keep my one intact, for when I come to sell the bike.
GPS, that's not difficult. All I'm intending to do is to record the position every few seconds or so, although this may end up expanding a bit, if I decide to include a gyro sensor and accelerometer. DIY telemetry box Laughing

Remote start from the phone isn't going to happen, though - I've already got the option for that with my alarm, and I deliberately didn't hook it up, because it negates the inbuilt immobiliser, and that would be a Bad Thing.

rac3r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Cool

Will it play movies? Laughing

Chequered Flag

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rac3r wrote:
Awesome! Cool

Will it play movies? Laughing

Only really, really short monochrome ones Laughing

Right; I'm going to get cracking trying to fit everything on to the standard arduino, or at least a shield for it, so I can get into as small a footprint as possible. I'm just counting up the number of used pins and the number I'm going to need. Update in a few (unless I get distracted by the interwebs).

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:28 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I'm not sure what kind of coolant temperature sensor the SV uses. Does anyone know if it's a digital sensor, or an analogue one?
I don't really want to gut my one, and I'm not sure if I can afford one off ebay - I haven't had a proper look around yet.

In other news, it looks like it might be possible to do a semi-accurate fuel gauge.
Based on a combination of mpg reading, and the fact that the SV has two tiers of fuel warning, I can mark the point where there's ~25 miles left, and ~10 miles left with a nigh-guaranteed level of precision (obviously, leaning the bike over can mess with the readings, though). Using the mpg calculation determined by the previous averaged readings, and a typical baseline, I can give a rough estimate as to the fuel level, which can be used as a 'fuzzy' gauge. It won't account for riding style, or actual road conditions, so there's no way it'll be seriously accurate, but it's a start, and with some clever maths can be coerced into being a convincing fake.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Clanger wrote:
tried Ginger Altoids?

No, but I'm happy to give them a go. The trick is to find somewhere nearby that sells them...

Hmm, if I didn't love mine as much as I do, I would offer to send you them...I will see if my landlady can pick up another tin (she goes to USA frequently with work), I am sat awaiting pick-up of the Cinnamon ones. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:08 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a very rough breadboard diagram to show, with most of the wiring in place. This is using the standard arduino board, and there are just enough inputs for me to use.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7011/6500808629_a74d593cf7_z.jpg

Unfortunately, the program I used to generate this doesn't have all the necessary graphical objects to properly represent what I'm using. The ST7565 is the display, the GPS is, well, the GPS - here's what it actually looks like:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6500886855_308d6934ac_z.jpg
...and the datalogger is a 'shield' that looks like this:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6500833093_622aa1d25f_z.jpg
It sits directly on top of the arduino board, and it's compatible with the mega, as well, if I decide to change over to that.

The bank of empty sockets in the upper middle of that board is where I'm going to mount the majority of the extra hardware. All that needs to sit on there is the HEF4050BP and the four resistors, with enough space for the outgoing leads. It does all fit, with room to spare, unbelievably. It will, however, be very visually confusing if I don't get any coloured wires in time - all I have at the moment is black...

The observant (or cynical) among you may well have noticed that I've made no mention of where the inputs from the bike are going. Well, there's a reason for that - I'm not 100% sure on which inputs will provide a digital or analogue signal. I don't have a 'spare' instrument cluster to hand, and I'm loath to start hacking mine apart. What I may do is hook up my pocket oscilloscope in line with the current connections, and try to work out what sort of data's going on there. If it does all turn out to be digital, then I need to start to look for ways to minimise the pin use. If there's an easy way of consolidating the three LED lines (digital pins 4,3 and 2), then I'm all ears.

:edit: - panic over, it turns out that the analogue pins can double up as digital pins, so I'm covered. Sweet!. Now to just get on with it... Laughing

Last edited by nowhere.elysium on 21:20 - 12 Dec 2011; edited 1 time in total

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:17 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should program pong into it and use the throttle to move up and down. (turn the engine off first)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:22 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven_191 wrote:
You should program pong into it and use the throttle to move up and down. (turn the engine off first)

Nah, I'm sticking with the first board for now - there's probably not enough grunt to keep all of the code for the dash and run a game of pong, I'm afraid Laughing

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 21:24 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure on which inputs will provide a digital or analogue signal.

which sensors do you want to know about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:28 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not 100% sure on which inputs will provide a digital or analogue signal.

which sensors do you want to know about?

Tachometer, Speedometer and Temperature.
I believe the fuel sensor is analogue, thanks to a thread on SVrider, where someone hacks a solution for their acewell dash together; apparently, it's just a variable resistor. My main worry is about how to step down the incoming voltage, without losing the resistance value.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 21:48 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tachometer, Speedometer and Temperature.

tacho will just count coil pulses high / low (if its this negative edge seems to give a cleaner signal)

is the speedo on the output shaft? if it is, it'll be a hall or vr sensor. probably hall. it will count high / low in a time period then divide by pulses / rev you need to work out the shaft revs / road speed

temp will just be a thermistor you need to remove it and measure the resistance at various water temps to build a values table.

fuel sender is as you say a variable resistor. use a 1/3 potential divider, and measure the resistance whilst holding the sensor in various positions to build a values table. although... you might end up with very small values at one end of the scale.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:51 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go with

Thermometer - 10k or I think I read on the arduino site, they use 20k for the input. Use a 20k ohm thermister on an analogue input, you will need to scale it accordingly.

Tacho and speed - digital inputs from flywheel sensor and magnetic sensor on the wheel.

In my line of work it would go like that, but that's on a scale of running boilers, pumps, pipe sensors, probes, frost sensors, actuators etc. And nothing needs to react as fast as you will want. Although it probably does you don't see it refreshing that fast.

In terms of sensors, we generally use 10k ohm thermister beads or 0-20mA sensors but they require a 24v supply. That is likely subject to the manufacturer. In this industry 24v is the standard. I would guess for other applications it will be almost anything you want.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:59 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
tacho will just count coil pulses high / low (if its this negative edge seems to give a cleaner signal)

That's what I thought. Cool - I've got something I can work with to get useful numbers out of that.
CHR15 wrote:

is the speedo on the output shaft? if it is, it'll be a hall or vr sensor. probably hall. it will count high / low in a time period then divide by pulses / rev you need to work out the shaft revs / road speed

Nope, it's on the front wheel hub. There're three wires coming from it, which suggests a hall effect sensor to me, but I wouldn't have asked if I knew the answer Wink
CHR15 wrote:

temp will just be a thermistor you need to remove it and measure the resistance at various water temps to build a values table.

That makes sense, and was the conclusion I was slowly getting to.
CHR15 wrote:
fuel sender is as you say a variable resistor. use a 1/3 potential divider, and measure the resistance whilst holding the sensor in various positions to build a values table. although... you might end up with very small values at one end of the scale.

Fortunately, Someone else has done it already.
However, this does continue my previous question - how can I step down the voltage so it's safe for my 5V board, without losing the detail of the signal? As I've said before, I'm not spectacularly well-versed in the arcane world of electronics.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:47 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, this does continue my previous question - how can I step down the voltage so it's safe for my 5V board, without losing the detail of the signal?

i would have thought that would depend more on the quality of what ever is collecting the signal.

or you could just disconnect the sensor from the stock loom, buy a matching plug and run 5v through the sensor in the tank.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:58 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^

just had a chat with my dad and he said a potential divider would work fine, the resolution would be limited only by the accuracy of whatever reading the signal.

however... your digital pick up would probably be alot more susceptible to voltage variation than a mechanical gauge.

cant think how to explain exactly what i mean.... but you'll probably want a voltage reg on the feed to the sensors so the variable charging voltage doesn't affect the outputs.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 23:06 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
or you could just disconnect the sensor from the stock loom, buy a matching plug and run 5v through the sensor in the tank.

If that'll work, then sod it, I'll go for that. Gotta find it on the wiring diagram first, though Laughing
I'm notsure if it's run through the ECU first, or just goes straight to the dash. Hoping it just goes straight to the dash.

From the wiring diagram, the acronyms I have to choose from are:
TP sensor (I'm thinking throttle position)
IAT sensor
IAP sensor
ECT sensor (electro-convulsive therapy?)
STP sensor
TO sensor

Thoughts, anyone? I can't really strip the bike down to check where stuff goes on the loom at the moment, unfortunately.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:39 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
CHR15 wrote:

If that'll work, then sod it, I'll go for that. Gotta find it on the wiring diagram first, though Laughing
I'm notsure if it's run through the ECU first, or just goes straight to the dash. Hoping it just goes straight to the dash.

From the wiring diagram, the acronyms I have to choose from are:
TP sensor (I'm thinking throttle position)yes
IAT sensor - intake air temp
IAP sensor - intake air pressure???
ECT sensor (electro-convulsive therapy?) - engine coolant temp
STP sensor secondary trottle position???
TO sensor - tip over sensor???

Thoughts, anyone? I can't really strip the bike down to check where stuff goes on the loom at the moment, unfortunately.

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:43 - 12 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good to you?

https://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120691

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 00:00 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven_191 wrote:

Very. Good find Karma

steven_191
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:10 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this project by the way. Might have to get one of these and have a play.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on creating your own PCB? You will have probably already heard of it, but Eagle is free and annoyingly shite until you get used to the tricks of it.

I'd also be pretty doubtful for the amount of digital signals you'll find in the system. You'll probably be able to get away with using the digital read pins for the signals going to the bulbs. But the other sensors will either be variable voltage or current so you'll need to use ADCs on these.

Have a look at optocouplers too, they'll give you isolation between a potentially high voltage noisy circuit which could damage your lower voltage Arduino.

The potential divider method will also work well if you can establish the maximum voltage output by the sensor. Then use some decoupling capacitors to remove the high frequency parts (noise).

Or you could also look at using diodes to clamp the voltage... although I forgotten how this works exactly, it's in my notes somewhere.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:15 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, once the electronics side of this is ironed out, I'm considering the idea of selling complete dash units, if there's enough interest. I'll need to work out pricing, but there's no reason why it would be particularly expensive. Should be far cheaper than the other offerings on the market, at elsat Smile

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 13 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah! Be open source and give your design files away, but also sell the assembled ones for a bit cash.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19