Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Homegrown digital dash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Make board -> make software -> make new board -> Make casing -> bin everything and start again with 90% new software & hardware

If im to understand correctly?

The painful world of development is one where you always find a better way of doing something after you've nearly finished it! Smile

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:47 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. C'est la vie.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 04 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

n.e. check this out... you're gonna like it... https://techtripper.com/worlds-first-3d-printed-racing-car-can-pace-at-140-kmh/ and wish you were involved... it's sooo cool. Thumbs Up

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 05 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
n.e. check this out... you're gonna like it... https://techtripper.com/worlds-first-3d-printed-racing-car-can-pace-at-140-kmh/ and wish you were involved... it's sooo cool. Thumbs Up

Annoys me how they say a 3D printed car, its not even close, Its a 3D printed body covering a car chassis.

Still very impressive though, I imagine it would let them do some funky things with the air flow fairly easily.

tahrey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 03 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ALL of the "Yes!".

Any news in the last month? Cool

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 16 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpity Bump Bump.

What's going on with this?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:09 - 16 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been left by the wayside for a while, but now that I've got a couple of weeks off, I'm hoping to be able to make a serious dent int he last bits of the project.

Sorry for leaving it so long, guys.

U_W v2.0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

look forward to seeing progress, was worried it had been scrapped lol.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:11 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. In light of blade023 trying to beat me to the punch, this project's getting dusted off and resurrected. There is a space, it must be watched.

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:35 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaaar, it's ON!

Just a pita I can't quite figure out the right voltage for the tacho output signal from the dash...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:38 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

blade023 wrote:
hahaaar, it's ON!

Just a pita I can't quite figure out the right voltage for the tacho output signal from the dash...
Surely the easiest way would be to jam a multimeter probe in there, then rev it silly. That'll give you a good maximum reading.

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:47 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing... I've made a nice little voltage divider, which takes 14v dc and drops it to about 4v dc. I've worked out that (I think) the tacho signal that goes to the dash is ac. I've got a salvaged wiggly to straight electric making doodad which takes said wiggly, and spits out straight electricity. I hooked it all up, with a little test led and... nothing.

The led gets (after rectalification and voltage division) about 1-2v which isn't enough to light it. This is where it gets annoying...

The multimeter shows some voltage on ac test mode, on the led + and -. This either means the rectificatoriser is bent, OR there's a nice dc pulse there. But the pulse is of very low voltage.

the actual leads straight from the dash show the following...

dmm in ac mode, 14v~
dmm in dc mode, 6vdc

Now.. if it's an ac pulse (say about 50hz or so) that's just ac, but low voltage (compared to house ac.)

If it's a dc pulse, my brain has just turned to mush.

Surely the tacho output, going by the evidence is a 14v~ pulse, and after rectification I've got a <14vdc pulse right? Assuming you lose some voltage through straightening.. I'm going to try reworking my voltage divider and see what happens to the LED. Brave test pilot. Arduino salutes you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:28 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be a PWM output, then. I'll plug my oscilloscope into my SV at some point soon, and have a look.

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:03 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you're pretty far away from me, otherwise I'd pester you to borrow your oscilloscope some time. I don't have one, so figuring this all out is challenging to say the least. Could you look at the plug that goes into your dash and see if it's similar to mine please? If they work the same (no idea how many variants of dash rpm display there are for mechanical dashboards) I may be able to get some info from you with your shiny oscilloscope. I'm having a hard time finding anything about what kind of signal is sent into the dash to represent rpm.

Another thing I'm considering doing now, is completely isolating the dash circuit from the arduino circuit. In other words, having the tacho signal activate a switch which switches a 5v circuit in the arduino. Less to figure out that way. I'm loathe to do anything with the spark plug lead, as it looks more complicated than I'd like.

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:31 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to check my (schtolen) thread; I've had another thought which should be much less risk to the arduino should it work. I'll do some calculations in a moment but there's no reason it shouldn't.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 09 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

blade023 wrote:
Damn, you're pretty far away from me, otherwise I'd pester you to borrow your oscilloscope some time. I don't have one, so figuring this all out is challenging to say the least. Could you look at the plug that goes into your dash and see if it's similar to mine please? If they work the same (no idea how many variants of dash rpm display there are for mechanical dashboards) I may be able to get some info from you with your shiny oscilloscope. I'm having a hard time finding anything about what kind of signal is sent into the dash to represent rpm.

Another thing I'm considering doing now, is completely isolating the dash circuit from the arduino circuit. In other words, having the tacho signal activate a switch which switches a 5v circuit in the arduino. Less to figure out that way. I'm loathe to do anything with the spark plug lead, as it looks more complicated than I'd like.

My stepfather may have a spare oscilloscope knocking around that he may lend indefinitely to me - would you like me to ask? I've a workshop in Galmpton so it's not far down the road for you Very Happy

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy: If you would that would be fantastic. It would certainly make it easier to design a circuit if I know for certain what signal I'm working with and how it changes.

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update for N.E...
I've made a breakthrough. Using the circuit explained in my thread, I've got meaningful rpm display on the leds! i'll do up a circuit diagram for u in a mo

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:50 - 09 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did:
https://www.kenhawley.co.uk/tachinput.png

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:34 - 10 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd add, in case you weren't aware of this..

The circuit that's connected to pin D2 on the arduino is not your average switch type circuit. You'll notice the lack of a resistor there. There's an interesting article somewhere I found which says you *can* wire a pin to ground via a switch *if* you enable the internal pullup resistor. Otherwise you'd normally have it wired differently:

Standard button wiring
https://arduino.cc/en/tutorial/button

With the circuit I've used, you need to put the following in your code:

Code:

pinMode(2, INPUT); // This line is standard, sets our pin 2 as an input pin
digitalWrite(2, HIGH); // This line enables the internal 20k pullup resistor

Just so you know Wink

Also so you don't sue me when my circuit breaks your 'duino

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:00 - 13 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpity boomp.

Any progress with your dash Nowhere?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:35 - 13 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, I've had to move departments at work, so there's been rather a lot on my plate. I imagine I might get some time once next week has passed.

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:43 - 14 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to pester you here, but...

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet? Bounce!

Just kidding. Are you planning on open sourcing everything still? If you are, and you have a chance at some point, I'd quite like to see an overview type checklist thingy with your progress and planned features/jobs to do. I've made some progress, and I'll be making another video to upload soon(tm) showing how far I've got. Also found some very useful things regarding tacho and speedo signals. I've already got a working tacho circuit that's pretty simple to implement and interface with the arduino, that eliminates the issues of voltage conversion and whatnot.

In fact, thinking about it, I may just update my website and stick an arduino section in there, with links to code and source inspiration and such. Like a bikeduino page.

*wanders off to fire up dreamweaver*....

blade023
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:29 - 15 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out! Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19