Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Newbie here: Bike wont start. just rapid clicking noises :s

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Meteor_Tesh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Newbie here: Bike wont start. just rapid clicking noises :s Reply with quote

Hi every one. I'm fairly new to biking. Passed my test in August, and got my first bike in September 2011. Yamaha Fazer 600. (2003)

since I bought it, I have ridden it pretty much every day (except for in the rain) up until around two weeks ago, when the weather here (Bolton) got very cold and ice was every where. So for the last two weeks (or just over) my bike has been sat in my garage. I tried to start it a couple of days ago, and at first, the egine just didnt start up, but the usual sound when pressing the ignition switch still came out. After a few times of trying, including using the choke, putting it into gear while holding in the clutch etc, when ever I press the ignition switch now, I just get a fast clicking noise (sometimes mixed with the usual engine about to start sound) from around the battery area. Is this a flat (or very low) battery, which is what I have read on many other post?

The only thing that makes me think otherwise is that it has only been sitting there for two weeks, as opposed to months like what others have described.

When I bought the bike, the previous owner had a new battery installed so it's not even a year old yet. another reason for my doubts.

But as stated, I'm new to all of this, so just looking for some guidance on the problem. Maybe the cold weather just flattened it? Any help will really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

charge the battery as a first port of call then try again, If that doesnt work then find the part that is clicking (starter solenoid, basically a high current relay).

Short the 2 large terminals together with a screwdriver to bypass the solenoid (make sure clutch is in, choke is on etc). If it starts when bypassing the solenoid then chances are your solenoid/wiring from start button to solenoid need replacing, unlikely to be wiring through if its clicking, that means its connected.


p.s. it will spark when you bypass the solenoid, dont worry about it.

Cheers
John
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lynxx
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: clicking Reply with quote

Well its either a low/ bad battery, a Solenoid or your starter.. While trying to start it tap the starter with the handle of a screwdriver. if it still clicks locate the Solenoid (follow the red wire from the battery to the small cylinder part) that's your solenoid, grab a wrench and put it in between the 2 posts on the solenoid, This will bypass the solenoid and if the starter / battery is good it will start or turn over the engine. IF it still doesn't start get a new battery or try a battery from another motorcycle which you know is good.
____________________
Current: 1992 Suzuki GSF400V - 1984 Honda MTX200 (SOLD) - 1975 Honda Xl350 (SOLD) - 1993 Honda CB250 (SOLD)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Meteor_Tesh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for your replies. Just tried the selenoid and its pretty much impossible on my bike. The two 'towers' are covered over by rubber, and then a thick red wire (which attached to my batter) runs over them aswell, I dont the wire is too long either, meaning, I can't even move it to the side or anything to put a wrench or screw driver there. Luckily christmas is coming up and I will be seeing my uncle who also has a bike, I'll borrow his charger andcharge my battery to see if thats works. Will post back with the result in a few days.

Thanks for your time and help.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to slip a flat blade screwdriver under the rubber caps to connect the 2 posts.


Cheers
John
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks is ample time for the battery to have gone flat in cold weather.
Most bikes these days have immobilisers/alarms/digital clocks all slowly draining it and small batteries don't keep charge long anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bwprice100
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:24 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

.
First off I would charge your battery.

I have attached a document that shows how I test the starter on my BMW which I hope may be of some help.

Brian
____________________
www.eBolt.co.uk www.ToolRoomChucks.co.uk
My bikes 1956 BMW R26 250cc, !981 BMW R80 (was a TIC ex plod), 1994 R100RT, sold my 1981 Yam XS 250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you do get it going, try to start the bike up once a week and let it idle for a while if you arent going to be using it over winter. I left mine for about 16 days and it still started but didnt start as quickly as it normally would and the starter was rotating slower. Let it idle for 25 minutes, now when i start it it fires up instantly from cold.
____________________
To shreds you say? Tss tss tss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meteor_Tesh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips.

BWprice, thanks for your document, I'll print it off and have a go at it tomorrow during the day.

Doggone, Yes I guess your right, as my bike has an alarm/immobiliser combo installed aswell.

When switching the ignition on with the key, theheadlights, dash board etc all light up as normal? can this still happen even with a low battery?

(ofcourse, when i have been trying to start it, i turned of the lights, just incase they were sapping any power)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have checked the killswitch I presume?
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bwprice100
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meteor_Tesh wrote:
Thanks for all the tips.

BWprice, thanks for your document, I'll print it off and have a go at it tomorrow during the day.

Your welcome, let us know how you get on.

Meteor_Tesh wrote:

When switching the ignition on with the key, theheadlights, dash board etc all light up as normal? can this still happen even with a low battery?

Yes, a lot more current is needed to turn the starter

Meteor_Tesh wrote:

(ofcourse, when i have been trying to start it, i turned of the lights, just incase they were sapping any power)


There is probably, what is called, a load shedding relay in the circuit which should switch most things off so the starter can get all the juice.

Brian
____________________
www.eBolt.co.uk www.ToolRoomChucks.co.uk
My bikes 1956 BMW R26 250cc, !981 BMW R80 (was a TIC ex plod), 1994 R100RT, sold my 1981 Yam XS 250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

duzzer
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fzr 600 was doing this not long ago, i checkt the battery (ok) checkt the relay (ok), it turnd out that the brushes on the starter motor had crap on them, cleend them down with WD40 and used a small amount of copper grease on the brush and started to work 100%
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Meteor_Tesh
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 23 Dec 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Every one. I want to thank you all for your help and comments. I really appreciate it. I can now confirm that it was indeed a flat/low battery.
Luckily I went to visit my uncle yesterday evening who also rides a bike and he has loaned me his charger. I left it on charge over night, installed the battery again and it starts up better than ever now. pretty much instantly.

Thank you all so much. Only problem is the weather today in Bolton is terrible!!! so I still cant get out on it yet Sad

but atleast the problem is solved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 291 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 79.54 Kb