Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My CBR 600/900 Project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chills
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:02 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: My CBR 600/900 Project Reply with quote

Take one 1992 CBR600...
https://goldwing.bikepics.com/hon-cbr600-92-bikepics-03807.jpg

Add a '95 fireblade engine, some '98 bodywork, ohlins suspension, race can, a new paintjob and a whole HEAP of time...
https://www.ac-hills.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/69%20Large.jpg

Some guys on a canadian forum found my site recently and started emailing me... Most said good choice to mod a 600 like this Smile and others couldn't see the point. Shocked
Just wondered what everyone HERE thinks and if you approve.. what next? Full details are on me site but in short... it's currently only kicking out 115bhp and although I could prob tune it to get more, I use this bike everyday so don't wanna screw reliability. It handles great and best of all its hidden that there's a blade engine underneath, which is how I like it for those traffic light drag races! Twisted Evil

So what next? Nitrous? Wink
Can it be fitted but hidden? How big are the bottles?

Cheers for any advice.

Chris Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 20:04 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get all different sizes of NOS cylinders, which could be hidden under the rear seat. Looks good though, what's the weight like compared to a Blade?
What's it insured as?

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint it green! Very Happy

Or just buy a newer blade or an R1.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:07 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

NOS system can be picked up quite cheap in the USA at the moment (about $385!), so import one of them and you're sorted. Blade engine should be kicking out more thn 115bhp. I'd expect at least 120. Confused

I'd keep it as subtle as possible with all the modifactions so it looks like just a normal old CBR600. Twisted Evil

kev
I Hump Things

PostPosted: 21:45 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually build that yourself or did you just buy it ready built?
20:02:36 Jammy-R6: any holes a goal
20:02:48 kev: even if its a hairy mans arse
20:02:56 Jammy-R6: hell yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ant
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive mate! And if you've got a spare HEAP of time then my 1992 CBR600 could do with a similar makeover! Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:56 - 29 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Suspect the exhaust is probably what is loosing you the power, as I doubt you have one optimised for the blade engine (or if you have it has taken a hell of a lot of beating to get it to fit). Also the airbox (or lack of airbox) will have an effect.

All the best

Keith

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:37 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it been dynoed and had the carbs set up at all?

Assuming you are using the CBR6 airbox, thats a problem. Its much smaller than the blade one, and the reason the blade made so much power when it came out was the huge airbox.

Also I wouldn't expect huge increases - I think phoenix's 94 (?) blade made about 120bhp at dyno day, with a race can and dynojets.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:00 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
Assuming you are using the CBR6 airbox, thats a problem. Its much smaller than the blade one, and the reason the blade made so much power when it came out was the huge airbox.

Rough rule of thumb is as airbox needs to be around 10 times the engine capacity to avoid being restrictive. However the lengths of the intake trumpets from the air box down to the carbs will also have a large effect of where the engine tries to produce power.

All the best

Keith

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Airbox problem what about putting 4 airfilters on it?, i've seen it done to a gsxr1100, doesn't take up that much space, and could improve the bhp even more Question .

Chills
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:44 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for yer comments! Smile

Demonic69 wrote:
...what's the weight like compared to a Blade?
What's it insured as?

Can't say I've weighed it or am quite sure HOW to? Bathroom scales don't seem quite up to the job but I'd prob say it'd weigh about the same as the 6's frame is steel. But with the shorter wheelbase I find it handles better.
As for insurance... a 600 of course! Cool They only asked what model not the engine size. Do you think it may count as a performance mod? Wink

I WOULD like to fit nitrous, more outta curiosity than anything else.. Has anyone got experience of actually using it? Can you even use it in first and how important is the progressive controllers?

I hadn't realised how cheap they can be.. Shocked I thought it was around £500 minimum! And if I could hide it under the seat that'd be just perfect.

I didn't convert the ENGINE meeself no but I did sort a lot of the associated electrics as the blade loom joins the CBR6's and obviously all the rest. You can how it looked when I first got it on me site.

The airbox IS a blade one BUT has been shrunk somewhat to fit under the 6's tank! Sad I think you can see a pic of it somewhere on me site. The bike also gets hot REALLY quickly as there's precious little space around the engine and no space for a fan! But as long as I keep moving > 50mph - no probs!

The exhaust IS a blade system and it DOES fit (JUST). Just needs a 'bit' of force on fitting. I've got the shark twin carbon can system too which seemed to add a bit of torque.

Ant.. If you bin it and trash yer F2.. I'd highly recommend fitting F3 bodywork... Some of the mounts need moving and rewelding but I think it updates the look quite nicely.

Finally.. Ste.. I assume from yer avatar that you have a TL-thou.... Did you know that engine fits in a 748/996 with very little modding? Even the bodywork goes over it so you get Dook's looks and handling with the TL's greater power and reliability! Cool

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 09:55 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chills wrote:
TL's greater power and reliability! Cool

Whistle

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:55 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Nick wrote:
For the Airbox problem what about putting 4 airfilters on it?, i've seen it done to a gsxr1100, doesn't take up that much space, and could improve the bhp even more Question .

Single filters tend to screw up the power delivery, and then you will also have a nightmare of a job trying to get them jetted close to right. The lengths of the ram tubes from the carbs up into the airbox is very important.

Chills wrote:
Even the bodywork goes over it so you get Dook's looks and handling with the TL's greater power and reliability! Cool

Mmmm. Suzuki reliability. Think Ste might be having second thoughts on that.

All the best

Keith

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:00 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chills wrote:
As for insurance... a 600 of course! Cool They only asked what model not the engine size. Do you think it may count as a performance mod? Wink

I'd be careful. Have a claim and that could well be noticed that bits are different, depends on how much actual knowledge the insurance people have Confused.

Chills wrote:
I WOULD like to fit nitrous, more outta curiosity than anything else.. Has anyone got experience of actually using it? Can you even use it in first and how important is the progressive controllers?

Don't think you'd want to be using it in first. Kev had it fitted to his Gixxer 1100, but it was never setup correctly really.

Chills wrote:
I hadn't realised how cheap they can be.. Shocked I thought it was around £500 minimum! And if I could hide it under the seat that'd be just perfect.

It is about £500-600 for a kit in this country, but they're cheaper in the states, and the exchange rate right now will also do you alot of favours if you choose to import it. You'd probably have to get it shipped without the gas bottle though. But that will not cost that much over here anyway.

Chills wrote:
The airbox IS a blade one BUT has been shrunk somewhat to fit under the 6's tank! Sad I think you can see a pic of it somewhere on me site. The bike also gets hot REALLY quickly as there's precious little space around the engine and no space for a fan! But as long as I keep moving > 50mph - no probs!

Which bikes radiator have you used? I would have thought/ hoped the one for the blade. You not able to squeeze a fan in anywhere?

Chills wrote:
The exhaust IS a blade system and it DOES fit (JUST). Just needs a 'bit' of force on fitting. I've got the shark twin carbon can system too which seemed to add a bit of torque.

TBH, all race exhausts are much of a muchness. Any power gains aren't that noticable.

Chills wrote:
Finally.. Ste.. I assume from yer avatar that you have a TL-thou.... Did you know that engine fits in a 748/996 with very little modding? Even the bodywork goes over it so you get Dook's looks and handling with the TL's greater power and reliability! Cool

Nope... didn't know that. Could be interesting though... wonder if Vicky would like to donate her bike for a project Twisted Evil Laughing .

And TL reliability? Neutral

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:25 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chills,

Did you know you could fit a blackbird engine in a Blade frame?

How about a CBR600 with a blackbird engine? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

that would be fun! although if I were you my next project would be some bigger discs and some pretech 6 pot billet calipers Wink Oh and maybe some Ohlins forks to take the strain!

www.pretech.co.uk

Smile

mtthwpez
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:30 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh nos Very Happy now your talkin! triple your power with a touch of a button!
my gpz thou has 130bhp which is plenty enough in fact its probably too much as it spins up its 16" rear wheel far too easily but i thought of putting nos on it as well!!! rip those tyres to shreads! very wsb esk Very Happy

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:33 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be daft here but is there any advantage of the cbr6/900 over a standard cbr9? you reckon the handling is better?
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 19:00 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you still got the old fairings? That were on the cbr 6?

Chills
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:00 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura: You mean the OLD CBR-F2 fairings? Nope, sorry. Sad

Hugo-a-wotsit... Erm.. (IMHO) I'd say it DOES handle better cos the shorter wheelbase helps it steer quicker along with the narrower rear. But I've also got ohlins rear and front internals along with the raised rear end, so it turns in extremely quickly. The OTHER advantage of course is that I have blade power for £200 annual insurance! Smile

MarJay: Really, a blackbird engine? Shocked Now that would be plain barmy in a 600 chassis... it barely handles the blade's power.
As for the brakes... yeah, it IS the one real weak point for sure.. I've outbreaked meeself on the track and run wide but for road riding, they're suprisingly strong since I changed to Carbone Lorraine pads and got braided 'oses.

Ste: The insurance guys would need to be thorough cos unless the fairings were missing you'd be hard pushed to tell. Of course if the fairings weren't there... I'd be stuffed for sure! Sad
The radiator is from the 600 cos the blades is too big and there's NO space between it and the engine. I need to fit a fan in FRONT of the radiator pushing back rather than sucking.

Although nitrous is currently 'cheap'... if I can't use it in first and a lot of tracks ban it.. what use would it be apart from drag racing?

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

where could you use gas on a track - you would only get short bursts on the straights anyway

you could go here and ask

www.200mph.net go the drag racing forum

loads of gas and turbo experience there and most of the big tuners are members and regular contributors

BigCC
DSD
TTS

etc.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:15 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently quite a few people use nitrous on track to help keep up a bit on the straights.

You can use it on the roads, well I would. Laughing I believe it is illegal to actually use it on the roads, but having it fitted and ready to use is legal. So I doubt you'd be done for it, it'd be easier to do you for speeding and race cans. Smile

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooookay

I don't wanna argue coz I don't know for sure but I have NEVER seen a gas bottle at a track day and it sure won't be allowed in racing

I have, however, seen loads at drag strips where you can do what it's meant to do and give it a few second burst

seriously, go ask on 200mph those guys know loads about this kinda shit

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:45 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, my web-research says 1992 cbr 600 has a wheelbase of 1405 mm, just like a cbr900, and it weighs 185 kg, just like a cbr900

don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice bike, and the insurance issue is a different matter (if insurance companies catch you fiddling, you'll never get insured again) but it just seems like a lot of effort for not much benefit, now an 1100 motor.........
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

Chills
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:46 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugo-a-gogo wrote:
hmm, my web-research says 1992 cbr 600 has a wheelbase of 1405 mm, just like a cbr900, and it weighs 185 kg, just like a cbr900...
don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice bike, and the insurance issue is a different matter (if insurance companies catch you fiddling, you'll never get insured again) but it just seems like a lot of effort for not much benefit, now an 1100 motor.........

Really.. the same wheelbase and weight? That does suprise me but it honestly handles better and I've ridden quite a few blades in my time. (old git). Maybe the ohlins are doing a better job than I thought?
Insurance - You're right of course but hopefully they WON'T find out. Confused
But is it worth the hassle?... hell yeah! Loads of people own CBR6's and spend LOTS of time/money tuning with race cans, etc.. and never get anywhere NEAR 115bhp. I get that much power with much less cost and keep reliability. Smile
I'd say, personally, it's worth it. And anyways, I like to have somein' a bit different. But an 1100 motor?... that's a bit TOO far, even for me. Razz

mikey c
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:28 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of mods have to be done to the frame in order to be able to actually bolt the new engine in?

thats a cbr600 f1 engine in the pic, what other engines (at least 600cc) would fit in that frame without moving the mounts?
https://www.muchos.co.uk/members/Mikey%20c/fsr%20010a.jpg?565

cheers, mike
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2