Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Excess?..... Help the Noggin!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Excess?..... Help the Noggin!!! Reply with quote

Question from a noggin (me):

What is excess?

What does it mean on insurance?

Please help the noggin!

Many Thanks

Craig G(Noggin)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:12 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excess is the amount you have to pay towards any claim.

Basically the insurance companies won't pay for the whole claim, they will pay the value of the claim not including the excess.

In practice if you have a £500 excess and the damage is worth £499.98, then sorry but your insurance won't be paying out on that one.

Similarly if the value of the claim is £501 then is it really worth claiming £1 from your insurance?

The point is to stop you from claiming willy-nilly really.

HTH Thumbs Up Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:15 - 30 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, just hope I entered my details correctly on that form then. £798 is the lowest quote, with £350 excess!

Craig G(Noggin)

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 11:07 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is about right for fisrt time around I think mine was that before 250 excess.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind however, that if the accident was not your fault, the excess is claimed back against the other side!

It only really kicks in when the accident cannot be apportioned against someone else.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:12 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth seeing how much they will drop the premium by if the excess is increased. If it's a good amount, then it's worth doing it IMO.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:50 - 31 Mar 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a £500 excess Confused Shocked Mad Which is kidna annoying considering the main quote is £1000.

Altho to be honest, young riders can't really claim off insurance anyway if they want to be able to ride another bike before they are 50 Laughing

Jono
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:23 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would aim to get your excess to as low as possible. I your a young rider and have no real driving experience then there is a much higher poss that you will have to make a claim. Insurance comps will offset your premium with a higher excess but they wont take much off. eg. if you pay 1000 a year and have a 400 xs and have this increased to 600 they may knock off 40, when your paying a grand theres no point.

best way of thinking of an excess is the first part of every claim that you are responsible for. Even if the accident is not your fault you will have to pay the excess up front (they will claim it back, takes a couple of weeks normally) unless you have a written admission of liability from the third party then you wont pay anything.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:55 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth noting that if you are in an accident, even if you get a written statement of admission from the other party, your insurance rating will be damage and your premium is likely to go up with the review at the end of the year Crying or Very sad

Hate insurance companies Exclamation

Jono
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:38 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in relation to the above comment, sorry hush not trying to be funny or nothing!

Smile

Thats not actually true unless you are responsible for the accident in some way ins comps settle claims in several different ways either non fault 100% in your favour or where they agree given the evidence that suggests that your partly responsible for the accident commonly known as a 50/50 settlement, there are more but no point me going in to it at this point.

In any situation where the ins company has to pay for some of the other parties claim then your NCD and ins record will be tainted.

If however its completly non-fault e.g. car goes in to the back of you then your rating will not change at all. You have to disclose the accident but it wont be held against in anyway.

Very Happy I do agree Insurance companies are a pain in the back side but the reason they are is because they arent making any money, had to believe I know but there where only two profitable ins compaines last year.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:48 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been an ongoing thing about this with local and national press, and the outcome has been that it doesn't matter even if you can prove complete innocence.

In particular an example - a driver in question was rear ended at a set of red lights. The driver of the other car immediately said it was her fault, and the whole transaction went smoothly. However, when the driver who was rear ended got to their review, her insurance had gone up some 30%. When she enquired, she was told that she was now a higher risk, because she had been involved in an accident, even though she had no fault in it, and no way to avoid it!

She phoned round, and only one insurance company would give her a decent quote, as everyone else said the same, "you're a high risk as you have been in an accident".

The other thing with insurance companies, is they seem to have something against employees of the BBC. Not just presenters and such like, but a secretary for the BBC was in a newspaper because her insurance company suddenly increased her premium when she started the job, because it was the BBC...

Jono
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:39 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right about the insurance comps not liking to insure people that work for the BBC, not only them but anyone who works in the media its to do with the underwriting terms of the policy.

i've dealt with claims where students who have finished their degree, and gone to work with companies such as Granada and then we have had to void their policy for non-disclosure when they have had an accident. I don't know why as when I worked in the underwriting area of motor ins it was key for the principle insure to cover this risk but it was never made clear as to why.

As for the 30% increase, that effects the womans statutory rights, being penalised for an incident that was not her fault if she had approached the Financial Ombudsman then she could of had them investigated and if they were members of GISC had their membership removed.

All in all I wouldn't really worry about any of this happening, if not contact the FOB on the government web-site.

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:33 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good to know at least, cheers Thumbs Up

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 00:19 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of not declaring things, do you have to declare after market road legal zausts and things like top boxes?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:21 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jono wrote:
I don't know why as when I worked in the underwriting area of motor ins it was key for the principle insure to cover this risk but it was never made clear as to why.

The reason why people who work in the media have higher insurance is because supposedly the likelihood of them giving a lift to a famous person (with a high salary) is higher... and so if they have an accident with said famous person on board the claim would be huge.

Stupid isn't it? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:21 - 09 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

A relative is in a band who are doing OK. His father told his car insurance company, and his insurance for an old Rover 200 went from £500 to £2500.

All the best

Keith

Jono
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:49 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in realation to danny's comments:

All after market mods need to be disclosed to the insurers, it doesnt matter if there is any performance gain or not. And if the parts that are fitted on to the bike are not road legal then your insurers may very well pass the details on to the police, which means points/fines etc. Insurance comapnies are taking a really hard line on non disclosures now.

For cars atleast insurers have general rule that there can be up to two modifications on the vehicle and there will be no extra charge as long as they are not performance enhancing. If they are then your stuffed they hate aftermarket modifications especially for young riders/drivers with no experiance and No claims Discount. If you have any questions about insurance, motor claims just let me know! Thumbs Up Cool

Noggin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:01 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok everyone, thanks very much

I will take this all into consideration

Craig G(Noggin)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1