Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Downhill/Freeride/Jump bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
 Topic moved: from Random Banter to Dear Auntie BCF... by G (17 Jan 2012 - 19:38)
View previous topic : View next topic  

squishio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:04 - 17 Jan 2012    Post subject: Downhill/Freeride/Jump bikes Reply with quote

Hi All

I have had a Trek Bruiser 2 for the last 4/5yrs and I loved it, sadly it got stolen a couple months ago so I'm now looking for a replacement.

Mine had a 16" frame and I went highstreet bike shopping and hated every bike I tried as they weren't small and "muscley" like my Trek was Sad

So my search goes online and I came across this Orange...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170760318747?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I don't really know anything about bikes, but I'm lookign for something as similar to my old bike, lots of fork travel,
reasonably light and importantly, no more than £600 or preferably £500

I quite like the above Orange and am going for a "test ride" some time this week, can anyone comment on what its worth or suggest me anything?

The only thing I know about the above bike is whats in the listing and that the forks are DropOff 4's (Seller says they're 5's but I can't seem to find that 5's even exist yet!)

Cheers!
Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tenko
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:16 - 17 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eldest lad has a downhill bike - Tomac frame, only one cog on the front, Marzocchi forks and wide bars. Whilst I'm no expert, the bike you are looking at doesn't seem to be a dedicated downhill beast, more of an all-round mountain bike.

Just a thought...

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 17 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a norco shore and a a-line can recomend them.the shore (freeride) builtlike a fucking tank.And the a-line is reallynimble and quick downhilling. Very Happy

https://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m492/sidewinder11/001_1.jpg

https://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m492/sidewinder11/09-02-08_1544.jpg

Thumbs Up

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orange is a all mountain / light freeride.. bike..Still a decent bike though
Very Happy

RPM
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 17 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

For DH or heavy Freeride work, I have a 2004 Kona Stab

If I wanted a more general 'all mountain/freeride' bike then the Orange would be up there on my list, well made, usually well specc'd Very Happy .

I have found them (mostly the Patriot) f**kin noisy, although it clears the woods of any wildlife long before you have any chance of running something over with it, so I suppose it's all good Thumbs Up Thumbs Up .

At the price, I would certainly buy it

All the best
Mike

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 18 Jan 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

For downhill I have a Vario Kaktus with Marzocchi Monster T's:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/Vario.jpg

I also ride a bit of XC on it but know fully well I'll hate the climbs and only really do it for the descents afterwards. It's a single pivot design so it's not got any of this pedal efficiency technology on it but I still love it! I don't really ride it that much at all since moving to Manchester city centre as it's hard to get out into the countryside with a bike without a car but I won't get rid of it.

For everything else I have an Identit Dr Jekyll:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/identiti.jpg

This bike is amazing. Put the seat up and it's a perfect city commuter (I can get across Manchester faster than pretty much any other form of transport on this), put the seat down and it's an excellent jump/skatepark/bmx track bike. Just the one gear and one brake so there's not much to go wrong and I reckon if you put a front brake, some proper tyres and maybe some gears you'd have a bike ready for anything.

Both of these bikes were built for less than £400 but I do have a very close friend who works in a bike shop and I've been riding bikes all my life so have collected various bits and bobs up until I built these up. Most of the parts were secondhand too or were parts that I'd bought new but a few years ago.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 266 days between these two posts...

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg630/haroman6661/30062010123.jpg

07 Kona Stinky
Upgrades:
06 Marzocchi 66 Forks
Avid Juicy 7 rear brake
E13 LG1 chain guide
Diabolus Crank
Full SRAM X9 drivetrain + Shifter
Blackspire Chain ring
MTX camo laced to a Hope pro2 hub on the rear
Wellgo V12 pedals
Decent lock on grips (cant remember who makes them)
GEAX DH rear tyre, Maxxis Minion DHF front tyre

I think that's it. I've spent about as much money on this as I have on the Bandit.

Frame is currently in bits as the suspension linkage bearings all siezed after 5 years of abuse.

Gonna get the frame repainted. I'm very 90's so it's going to be in like an "Arctic White".

Nice bikes guys Thumbs Up

Never ridden a Norco but I know that they're renownd for being heavy, but as such are pretty bombproof.

Used to ride my mates Dr. Jekyll when he had both the Dr. J and 666x. He had 140mm Rockshox domains on the Dr. J and they were soooo soft. It was a fun bike to ride Razz

Dream bike is a Commencal Supreme DH. Love those bikes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1