Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

should i buy a Peugeot Speedfight 1998 for ?300

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

tarka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:39 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: should i buy a Peugeot Speedfight 1998 for £300 Reply with quote

my friend is gonna hand it over for £300 with a helmet. is this a good deal? how much do they usually go for second hand?

how much does it cost for the road test (my friend call it a cg something, i can't remember). and how much does typically cost for road tax and insurance?

cheers

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:24 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test is called a "CBT" around 80 - 100 quid

Always buy a new helmet

Tax is £15

Insurance depends on where you live, the peds cc, if it's garaged, your age etc

Check the auto trader for prices

Dont know much about peds but i'm sure someone here will help you

I know it's not much but I hope it helps Thumbs Up

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 08:10 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance will be about 500 quid third party fire and theft.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:21 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Re: should i buy a Peugeot Speedfight 1998 for £300 Reply with quote

Is the helemet the exact right fit for you?

If not tell him to Middle Finger and try and get some money off... a helmet that doesn't fit will can be dangerous and can actually cause damage.

If it was me I'd go and get something like a DT50 for the same price, but if you like scooters then that's probably an ok price... though I'd only take it if it either has an MOT or doesn't need one for a bit.

tarka
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:34 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£500 quid for insurance??? i'm 31 by the way, do you reakon i would pay that much at my age? plus i live in east london so i guess that could cancel out my age??

the helmet was a slight bit tight, so i guess i'll need to buy a new helmet.

actually its sound like more money than its worth

bike £300
new helmet £100
cbt £100
insurance £500
tax £15

thats over a grand just to get such a small little thing on the road. i'm not too sure about the dt50 (i dont like the look), but as a beginner if i buy a proper bike what should i go for? do you think i should go for a sports bike?

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you getting a 50cc if you are 31 then? Go for a 125 if you just want to ride on CBT. I can't see the insurance being anywhere near £500. Probably £200 tops. I'm paying £212 a year on a DT125 worth £800 (with breakdown cover too) at the age of 25 with zero No-Claims and only just completed CBT.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:50 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a helmet tight is good.

Tight means it won't fall off of your head. Slightly tight is ideal as the padding will compress over time.

However,
I would be very careful about getting a second hand helmet because it might have been dropped, and so is useless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:59 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are 16 years old, there really is no reason to ride a 50cc on the road, they're bloody dangerous.

Peds are great for cheap transport, but look for a 125cc one, at least you'll be able to keep up with the traffic on that.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I presumed you were about 16. Get a 125 on the road and what do you want the scooter for? For example commuting etc?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:29 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said... avoid a 50 unless you're 16. Especially in London you want a bit of power to be able to get out of/into trouble Smile.

Spend a bit more on the bike (say £700-800), and you'll have a bike that when derestricted will beat most 'performance' cars of the line but you can still ride on L plates and will get you from A to B pretty much as easily as a ped.

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 02 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a runner 125 & i'm 29.
insurance £160 with breakdown cover(only 3rd party)
would get at least a 125, if you drive a car your b grinning like a nut on yer bike the 1st few months(sneaking through traffic jams Smile ).
use mine daily to commute, don't know how i managed without it.
if you do get 1, get some good locks there very easy to nick without.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1