Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Silk Gloves - Not Cool

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Microcut
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a pair under my summer gloves w/ heated grips and together they do a decent job. Only problem is that the velcro from my bike gloves catches the silk on rare occasions and completely destroys the material Sad

I'd love to use my winter gloves tbh, but i get zero 'feel' on the grips which scares me and so that's why i'm using the summer gloves still. Pretty much a waste of money and there was me back in the summer thinking i was being a good boy preparing for the winter.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:23 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microcut wrote:
I'd love to use my winter gloves tbh, but i get zero 'feel' on the grips which scares me and so that's why i'm using the summer gloves still. Pretty much a waste of money and there was me back in the summer thinking i was being a good boy preparing for the winter.


I'd had that with my first (current) pair of motorbike boots. Couldn't move the boot under the gear lever after changing down a gear and couldn't feel any feedback from the brake lever, so my braking was too strong and I was missing gear changes too! Laughing

I also chose to start using them a few days before my Mod 2 in them, and I passed Mod 2 in them too which made me rather proud of myself Thumbs Up

That story isn't completely redundant; can you not use your winter gloves more to get used to using them? You may feel like you're getting zero feel using them, much like me in my boots, but you may get used to them after a while Thumbs Up Can't speak for certain though as I've not used many different gloves/have a lot of experience.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Microcut
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. The issue is that the grip i have on the throttle isn't true enough for me to confidently trickle my way through traffic when moving slowly. A normal speeds it's fine but that lack of feedback (like your boots J.M) puts me off. I have my full motorcycle training coming up in the easter which means i don't need to get used to my winter gloves tbh. However, what a waste!

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/shop/gloves/winter/ixs-polaris-evo-glove-in-black.html

I think they'd make a good snowboarding glove Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Maruchino
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always lose one, so I've given up on them now. But agree they are nicer than wearing thick winter gloves.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Microcut
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grips are from the dr.bike heated grips set. I noticed after they were fitted that they are thicker than the OEM pair (CBF125). I'm not too bothered about it all though. I've only been riding since June last year, got my training booked up for easter and then, with a (hopefully) bigger bike, can continue learning, which includes getting used to my winter gloves! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find them next to useless for winter.
I was once given a garish Hawaiian silk shirt that felt nice and cool, but would rather die of sunburn than wear it.

Any proof that silk is a good insulator? I can't find any.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
I find them next to useless for winter.
I was once given a garish Hawaiian silk shirt that felt nice and cool, but would rather die of sunburn than wear it.

Any proof that silk is a good insulator? I can't find any.


This help?

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061124083428AAq3C3q
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the silk liner on my hand..I blow air through them and I can feel it, so that dispels the 'Silk is wind proof' bit.

Scientific proof that silk is a good insulator then I'll GTFO. Razz
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:17 - 04 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double silked lined gloves are the only type that don't get 'cold' while off and retain heat for a short time until you put them back on.

Just a shame they cost so much.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

silk has the best thermal properties of all the natural materials
____________________
Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Scientific proof that silk is a good insulator then I'll GTFO. Razz


andys350 wrote:
silk has the best thermal properties of all the natural materials


There, happy now? Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride in the cold with non-silk liners.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:14 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find silk gloves useless. Sad I'll put my heated grips and hand guards on instead. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 05 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out for a three hour ride last week when temperatures were around freezing. I wore a pair of silk gloves underneath my BMW Pro Winter's.
Fingers were no problem at all. It was the area around my eyes that stung like **** and forced me to return home early.


ric.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 2.36 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 111.18 Kb