Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you buy a second hand motorcycle helmet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you buy a used helmet?
No! Only a moron buys a second hand helmet!
51%
 51%  [ 69 ]
Maybe from a friend but not from a stranger.
18%
 18%  [ 24 ]
Yes. I'd buy one if it looks okay.
24%
 24%  [ 33 ]
Helmets are for sissies.
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 133

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Would you buy a second hand motorcycle helmet? Reply with quote

Yes? No? Maybe? There are some dodgy sellers on Ebay who will sell anything to anyone if they can make money out of it but is it over-cautious to say NEVER buy second hand or is it a golden rule never to be broken?

I just bought a Suomy helmet on Ebay for £20 + £7 p&p that would IIRC have cost me around £130 if I'd bought it new, and as far as I can see it's hardly been used at all; no marks on the shell and just the tiniest scratch on the side of the visor. I think the liner is removable so I'll take it out and have a good look inside.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqZ,!q!E8WZNZl90BPHGM8FmUg~~60_12.JPG

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:52 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done, gave my reasoning the last time someone asked this.

Still not been killed to death.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:03 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per above. Have crashed in various second hand helmets and been fine in that regards, at least.

Mikey3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably from a friend knowing the life of the helmet Thumbs Up infact my girlfriend has done and is proving fine.
Not from a stranger though, god knows the persons attitude towards it and what life it could've been through, although it may look okay on the outside.
Obviously sometimes you could get lucky and get a genuine good'un, but I don't think my head's safety can be put to chance Thumbs Up

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:37 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

<NotThisShitAgain.jpg>

Me? No, almost certainly not. I like a bargain, have bought some decent 2nd hand gear, but my brain is where I live, and a helmet is the last thing I'd skimp on. Heck, I'm currently considering retiring a perfectly good lid just to get one in Day-Glo.

You? Do as you like, you don't need anyone's permission to make your own judgement on the risk vs reward. The chances of suffering from it are infinitesimal, and buying a used helmet in good condition is a perfectly rational decision. Just not one I'd make (probably).

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily buy a second hand helmet for my wife to use.

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
<NotThisShitAgain.jpg>

Me? No, almost certainly not. I like a bargain, have bought some decent 2nd hand gear, but my brain is where I live, and a helmet is the last thing I'd skimp on. Heck, I'm currently considering retiring a perfectly good lid just to get one in Day-Glo.

You? Do as you like, you don't need anyone's permission to make your own judgement on the risk vs reward. The chances of suffering from it are infinitesimal, and buying a used helmet in good condition is a perfectly rational decision. Just not one I'd make (probably).

Thumbs Up Absolutely.

A helmet will mould to the shape of the riders head, and whilst the shell may look fine, what cannot be determined is what the state of the styrofoam liner is like and this is the bit that protects the old computer.

But as said, your choice and there is nothing to stop you purchasing a secondhand hat, but personally, I would rather buy a well fitting new £30 hat than a £50 secondhand item.

I have seen to many head injuries over the years caused by poor fitting hats which were purchased second hand and the rider thought it would save him a few quid, but actually cost him a lot more in the long term.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy a 2nd hand helmet.

I like the design of particularly the older helmets from the 80's/90's. Naturally they're going to be 2nd hand.. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:58 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.C wrote:

I have seen to many head injuries over the years caused by poor fitting hats which were purchased second hand and the rider thought it would save him a few quid, but actually cost him a lot more in the long term.

Care to clarify if and how you know this is directly related to them being second hand. Or generally poor fitting?

I have found second hand Shoei helmets for instance still seem to fit much better than any <£150 new helmet I can find.

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the state of it that would worry me, it would be the fact someone elses head had been in there Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:15 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam_Y_93 wrote:
It's not the state of it that would worry me, it would be the fact someone elses head had been in there Sick

Bit like a lot of the helmets you buy from shops, then Smile.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a second hand Arai for my girlfriend. Her sister had decided to try on her brand new HJC and proceeded to pull it off her head and catapult it at a wall. This was from a very nice bloke and his wife who had recently retired from biking so I felt fairly safe.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:43 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mredhead wrote:
Obviously sometimes you could get lucky and get a genuine good'un, but I don't think my head's safety can be put to chance Thumbs Up

I forget if I'd mentioned it to you before (feeling I may have); but what advanced riding courses etc, if any, have you done?

If you haven't, then you're definitely putting your head's safety down to 'chance' - as of course the best way to ensure it is not the helmet, but using your head not to crash Smile.

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Sam_Y_93 wrote:

Bit like a lot of the helmets you buy from shops, then Smile.

Well I'd hope when they get it from the back that it hasn't been worn. Even if it had, then it would of only been for a few minutes and not sneezed and coughed in...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:00 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam_Y_93 wrote:

Well I'd hope when they get it from the back that it hasn't been worn. Even if it had, then it would of only been for a few minutes and not sneezed and coughed in...

When I try on helmets, I've usually had them bring some from 'the back' in the correct sizes etc. I'll generally try on quite a lot, to ensure I'm definitely getting the right fit.
I doubt they decide not to sell these said helmets after putting them back 'in the back' Smile.

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they might have been worn, but as I said, it hasn't been used daily and coughed and sneezed in...

Mikey3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
mredhead wrote:

I forget if I'd mentioned it to you before (feeling I may have); but what advanced riding courses etc, if any, have you done?

If you haven't, then you're definitely putting your head's safety down to 'chance' - as of course the best way to ensure it is not the helmet, but using your head not to crash Smile.

You haven't. & None, But I go out with someone who has (ex paramedic), and we regularly talk and generally bike's and safe riding always arises, seeing as we met through my dad & M.A.G.
I was specifically talking about helmets though.

I just believe in doing the best you can to reduce potential damage (if an accident occurred) and in IMO a second hand helmet is a risk I am not willing to take.
Thumbs Up

Mike

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Care to clarify

Nope! Very Happy Not on this forum anyway!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:21 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mredhead wrote:

I just believe in doing the best you can to reduce potential damage (if an accident occurred) and in IMO a second hand helmet is a risk I am not willing to take.

This isn't very logical to me.

You're willing to do the 'best you can' to change a very small factor. (In reality, the number of cases where a 'good fitting helmet' specifically will prevent harm is pretty tiny I'd say.)
But you're not doing anything to change a much bigger factor. (Having the skills to be able to avoid properly avoid crashing will drastically reduce your chances of coming to harm I'd say.)

Why not do the best you can to reduce an accident occurring, thus removing all harm from the situation?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:50 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
[crazy person logic]

If you haven't honed your 1337 5k331z yet, you're more likely to need a helmet that does what it says on the label.

I warn you, I've just noticed that the weekend weather forecast is filthy again, so everything that everyone says is going to be wrong today. Folded arms

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have, my craft lid. It was good condition bar a few scratches on the top. New they are £240 ish, I paid £70 with two visors, one clear, one iridium. Smile

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam_Y_93 wrote:
I know they might have been worn, but as I said, it hasn't been used daily and coughed and sneezed in...

All anyone mentioned was 'second hand helmets'. No-one said specifically 'second hand, well used helmets'. I wouldn't buy one of those, that's gross.

Both the second hand lids I bought still looked, felt and smelled brand new. They were 'bought it for my girlfriend but she won't come on the back with me' jobs, which I purchased for less than the price of a new visor figuring if I only got the visor out of the deal, I'd still be on a winner. £30 for a good-as-new Shoei Raid with 2 visors, £60-ish for another one with 3 visors. One of them was a wee bit tight for me so I gave it to a friend whom it fitted better, the other I'm still using as my trackday helmet now.

A pillion sticking a lid on a couple of times before deciding they don't like it doesn't really equate to years of dribble and scalp sweat, or to the lid being 'broken in' to someone else's head shape - I doubt anyone's particularly suggesting buying 'used' helmets.

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a secondhand lid before, but then again I never intended it to provide any protection in an accident. It was a piss-pot type thing that I wore for nipping around the corner in town, where given the choice I wouldn't have worn one at all.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:08 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - I'd only really buy a helmet you'd describe as 'mint' pretty much - as a helmet in a such a state generally goes pretty cheaply, doesn't seem any point going for one that's been used decently.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 03 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... used helmets smell of other people's sweaty heads. I only like the smell of my own sweaty head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3