Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you buy a second hand motorcycle helmet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you buy a used helmet?
No! Only a moron buys a second hand helmet!
51%
 51%  [ 69 ]
Maybe from a friend but not from a stranger.
18%
 18%  [ 24 ]
Yes. I'd buy one if it looks okay.
24%
 24%  [ 33 ]
Helmets are for sissies.
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 133

centerstand
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:57 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondaondabrain wrote:
Lesson here is, only buy 2nd hand from cold places.
Look at this very hot Icon. It looked just like this when I first got in lt. You can see how pre-wear by another guy made this extremely comfortable to get in and stay in on all-day rides. It went on easily, the first time, and I felt no need to take it off, and the awesome smell: you just don't get that when you buy new. When I pull the lid off, I still smell it hours later.

I love the natural black and brown colors of the once brilliant-white padding. The other guy let his natural oils and sweat keep the inside clean. His sweat only improved this lid. I love wearing it.

Doesn't it look totally inviting to get in? It smells even better than lt looks!

Last edited by centerstand on 23:16 - 05 Jul 2018; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:32 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I've learnt from this, that.... 'centerstand' really sucks at buying second hand helmets!

centerstand
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:42 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
So far, I've learnt from this, that.... 'centerstand' really sucks at buying second hand helmets!
No, I got exactly what I was looking for: well-worn comfort. There's nothing better feeling than the super sweaty softness inside a used lid. And the smell! There's nothing like slipping into another guy's Helmet Stink and wearing it for a few hours. In a perfect world, the cost of a lid would increase based on the number of hours a guy sweats in it. Luckily, we don't live in a perfect world.

I agree that the seller gets a 10/10, and so does the wearer who stayed in this hot little stinker at least 15,000 miles more than most guys are willing. I also give the lid a 10/10. The sweat pads were only washed with what else? Sweat! So there's no dry rot or smells of lavender extract in there. The lid is cool looking on the outside and steaming hot and sticky on the inside.

Last edited by centerstand on 21:22 - 05 Jul 2018; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:58 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing That's not how you buy a second hand lid.

But 10/10 to the seller, not only did he manage to sell something manky and generally foul but the buyer actually seems to be happy with it.

(We Found 9 Clips With "Sweaty Helmet")

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Would you buy a second hand motorcycle helmet? Reply with quote

Quote before any editing. Wink

centerstand wrote:
ninja_butler wrote:
Yes? No? Maybe? There are some dodgy sellers on Ebay who will sell anything to anyone if they can make money out of it but is it over-cautious to say NEVER buy second hand or is it a golden rule never to be broken?

I just bought a Suomy helmet on Ebay for £20 + £7 p&p that would IIRC have cost me around £130 if I'd bought it new, and as far as I can see it's hardly been used at all; no marks on the shell and just the tiniest scratch on the side of the visor. I think the liner is removable so I'll take it out and have a good look inside.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqZ,!q!E8WZNZl90BPHGM8FmUg~~60_12.JPG

Definitely! You know you're getting a comfy lid when the inside is full of sweat stains. Guys don't part with their best lids until they stink.

Wearing another guy's well-worn lid is pretty cool, though. Because it's broken in, it'll go on easily. Initially, the padding will feel dry. Over fifteen minutes, as you sweat in it, the stink will build up. The lid will start to feel like you've been in it for 10,000 miles. The padding will become slimy as your own sweat and breath activate the years of funk that have built up. In a way, you'll want to pull it off. If you're serious about wearing used, you'll stay in.

After an hour, you will acclimate to the stink. You'll only smell it, again, if you adjust the position of the lid on your head. That's because doing so squeezes the concentrated sweat that's gotten wet and warm. Finally, when you pull the lid off, your face and hair will be coated in the other guy's stink. It takes between twenty minutes and a couple of hours for that to go away.

After a few months, you won't notice any of this: the stink and slime. It'll still be there; it'll just be normal.

centerstand wrote:
almostthere wrote:
I left my helmet on the floor in the hall my dog cocked his leg and pissed over it Evil or Very Mad
Its now for sale if anyone wants it Thumbs Up
I have never worn a dog piss lid, but I have been in a couple of stinkers that smelled like a horse stable. They looked great on the outside (they always do) and were very sleazy but very comfortable on the inside (as they always are). After enough slimy sweat and snot and spit build up in a guy's helmet, it transforms into a living thing. The relationship between the rider and the helmet becomes symbiotic. The lid eats the rider's sweat. In return, the rider gets a smelly, warm, wet, safe, comfortable place into which to slip his head. Only the rider knows the intimate details of the helmet. When you get in another guy's hot, wet, steaming stink, you get to know him very well, indirectly. It's kind of cool. At first, getting in another guy's dirty lid is pretty mellow. It's dry. The smell is subdued.

It's best to get to know your symbiotic stinker as quickly as possible, however. So, get in it, and close all the vents and the visor. Buckle the chin strap. Breathe normally for about ten minutes. The helmet will heat up and become wet. It will get slimy as your sweat and breath mix with what's already under the lid. As long as you keep still during the ten-minute introduction, it shouldn't get too intense. After another forty-five minutes, the cooties in the padding will come completely to life, just like yeast in a bread dough. They will start eating your sweat, and the stink will increase by orders of magnitude. Then, it's a matter of acclimating. It's best to wear the stinker on a three-hour ride before pulling it off. Don't get out of it too soon, or you may never get back in. Don't open any vents or the visor -- not even to scratch your nose. Just breathe and sweat and cough and sneeze in there, just like the other guy did for thousands of hours while encased in this thing before the amazing time when you got the lucky chance to be in his lid. Whichever way you move your head, the stink will follow you. It's gonna get really hot and wet. You're gonna want to open the visor so bad, but don't. Stay in it. Be one with it. After the long ride, the smell will be really intense, but you'll be sort-of used to it. You won't notice it until you pull out.

It really is amazing getting in a well-worn lid. It is awesome to wear another guy's stink. I keep at least four used lids. My two favorite are an Arai Quantum/e which has a very earthy stink. It fits so perfectly. The more sweat I feed it, the more it rewards me with the intense smell of the other guy. My other favorite, an Icon Alliance, smells like really dirty hair. The padding is greasy. Once pristine white, the interior is now charcoal grey with gentle tones of yellow and brown. I seriously doubt that the other guy who was in the Icon before me ever washed his hair with soap. For him, sweating under the lid made him clean enough.

All dirty helmets share a common stink that I can't describe except to say that its sharp. Their smelly overtones are what make them unique: gym; spicy; sweet; earthy; and, greasy.

How do you know if your dirty lid fits? Sleep in it for an entire night. If after at least eight hours actually sleeping in a scummy helmet (or a new one if you prefer) you feel no painful hot spots, then you've found the perfect little stinker for yourself to wear. Another benefit of the sleep test is that you'll fully acclimate to the stink. Only after pulling out of the lid and staying out for several hours will you again notice any smell under the lid. I personally like the smell of a dirty lid, however.

Right now, there's a hot white Quantum/e up for grabs on eBay. It has some really nice sweat stains in the forehead padding.

centerstand wrote:
almostthere wrote:
I left my helmet on the floor in the hall my dog cocked his leg and pissed over it Evil or Very Mad
The Arai XD3 is hotter inside than outside. Mine is black. The dude who rode in it sweated hard. He rode with the visor closed at low speed on rough terrain. So, the lid would steam up all the time. He never washed the pads. I feel so awesome getting in his dirt bike stink.

centerstand wrote:
The dude who's selling his Quantum/e is also selling a Quantum/s. Each is only about $60, including shipping. The Quantum/s has some super hot sweat stains because it's got less ventillation. The Quantum/s is the sweatier sibling to the Quantum/e. Both lids look like fun to get in and sweat in.

centerstand wrote:
Hondaondabrain wrote:
No. Hotter is better. Sweat makes a helmet fit better. I just bought a Quantum/s. These lids have almost no vents, allowing them to stay warm and wet. My new Quantum/s will be comfortable right out of the box. No breakin time required. If it's truly well-worn, I should be able to smell it before putting it on. I can't wait to get in it.

centerstand wrote:
Hondaondabrain wrote:
The more a lid stinks, the more comfortable it is.

centerstand wrote:
Hondaondabrain wrote:
Look at this very hot Icon. It looked just like this when I first got in lt. You can see how pre-wear by another guy made this extremely comfortable to get in and stay in on all-day rides. It went on easily, and I felt no need to take it off, and the smell: you just don't get that when you buy new. When I pull the lid off, I still smell it hours later.

centerstand wrote:
G wrote:
No, I got exactly what I was looking for: well-worn comfort. There's nothing better feeling than the super sweaty softness inside a used lid. In a perfect world, the cost of a lid would increase based on the number of hours a guy sweats in it. Luckily, we don't live in a perfect world.

centerstand
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:20 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Would you buy a second hand motorcycle helmet? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Quote before any editing. Wink

centerstand wrote:
ninja_butler wrote:
Yes? No? Maybe? There are some dodgy sellers on Ebay who will sell anything to anyone if they can make money out of it but is it over-cautious to say NEVER buy second hand or is it a golden rule never to be broken?

I just bought a Suomy helmet on Ebay for £20 + £7 p&p that would IIRC have cost me around £130 if I'd bought it new, and as far as I can see it's hardly been used at all; no marks on the shell and just the tiniest scratch on the side of the visor. I think the liner is removable so I'll take it out and have a good look inside.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqZ,!q!E8WZNZl90BPHGM8FmUg~~60_12.JPG

Definitely! You know you're getting a comfy lid when the inside is full of sweat stains. Guys don't part with their best lids until they stink.

Wearing another guy's well-worn lid is pretty cool, though. Because it's broken in, it'll go on easily. Initially, the padding will feel dry. Over fifteen minutes, as you sweat in it, the stink will build up. The lid will start to feel like you've been in it for 10,000 miles. The padding will become slimy as your own sweat and breath activate the years of funk that have built up. In a way, you'll want to pull it off. If you're serious about wearing used, you'll stay in.

After an hour, you will acclimate to the stink. You'll only smell it, again, if you adjust the position of the lid on your head. That's because doing so squeezes the concentrated sweat that's gotten wet and warm. Finally, when you pull the lid off, your face and hair will be coated in the other guy's stink. It takes between twenty minutes and a couple of hours for that to go away.

After a few months, you won't notice any of this: the stink and slime. It'll still be there; it'll just be normal.

centerstand wrote:
almostthere wrote:
I have never worn a dog piss lid, but I have been in a couple of stinkers that smelled like a horse stable. They looked great on the outside (they always do) and were very sleazy but very comfortable on the inside (as they always are). After enough slimy sweat and snot and spit build up in a guy's helmet, it transforms into a living thing. The relationship between the rider and the helmet becomes symbiotic. The lid eats the rider's sweat. In return, the rider gets a smelly, warm, wet, safe, comfortable place into which to slip his head. Only the rider knows the intimate details of the helmet. When you get in another guy's hot, wet, steaming stink, you get to know him very well, indirectly. It's kind of cool. At first, getting in another guy's dirty lid is pretty mellow. It's dry. The smell is subdued.

It's best to get to know your symbiotic stinker as quickly as possible, however. So, get in it, and close all the vents and the visor. Buckle the chin strap. Breathe normally for about ten minutes. The helmet will heat up and become wet. It will get slimy as your sweat and breath mix with what's already under the lid. As long as you keep still during the ten-minute introduction, it shouldn't get too intense. After another forty-five minutes, the cooties in the padding will come completely to life, just like yeast in a bread dough. They will start eating your sweat, and the stink will increase by orders of magnitude. Then, it's a matter of acclimating. It's best to wear the stinker on a three-hour ride before pulling it off. Don't get out of it too soon, or you may never get back in. Don't open any vents or the visor -- not even to scratch your nose. Just breathe and sweat and cough and sneeze in there, just like the other guy did for thousands of hours while encased in this thing before the amazing time when you got the lucky chance to be in his lid. Whichever way you move your head, the stink will follow you. It's gonna get really hot and wet. You're gonna want to open the visor so bad, but don't. Stay in it. Be one with it. After the long ride, the smell will be really intense, but you'll be sort-of used to it. You won't notice it until you pull out.

It really is amazing getting in a well-worn lid. It is awesome to wear another guy's stink. I keep at least four used lids. My two favorite are an Arai Quantum/e which has a very earthy stink. It fits so perfectly. The more sweat I feed it, the more it rewards me with the intense smell of the other guy. My other favorite, an Icon Alliance, smells like really dirty hair. The padding is greasy. Once pristine white, the interior is now charcoal grey with gentle tones of yellow and brown. I seriously doubt that the other guy who was in the Icon before me ever washed his hair with soap. For him, sweating under the lid made him clean enough.

All dirty helmets share a common stink that I can't describe except to say that its sharp. Their smelly overtones are what make them unique: gym; spicy; sweet; earthy; and, greasy.

How do you know if your dirty lid fits? Sleep in it for an entire night. If after at least eight hours actually sleeping in a scummy helmet (or a new one if you prefer) you feel no painful hot spots, then you've found the perfect little stinker for yourself to wear. Another benefit of the sleep test is that you'll fully acclimate to the stink. Only after pulling out of the lid and staying out for several hours will you again notice any smell under the lid. I personally like the smell of a dirty lid, however.

Right now, there's a hot white Quantum/e up for grabs on eBay. It has some really nice sweat stains in the forehead padding.

centerstand wrote:
almostthere wrote:
The Arai XD3 is hotter inside than outside. Mine is black. The dude who rode in it sweated hard. He rode with the visor closed at low speed on rough terrain. So, the lid would steam up all the time. He never washed the pads. I feel so awesome getting in his dirt bike stink.

centerstand wrote:
The dude who's selling his Quantum/e is also selling a Quantum/s. Each is only about $60, including shipping. The Quantum/s has some super hot sweat stains because it's got less ventillation. The Quantum/s is the sweatier sibling to the Quantum/e. Both lids look like fun to get in and sweat in.

centerstand wrote:
Hondaondabrain wrote:
No. Hotter is better. Sweat makes a helmet fit better. I just bought a Quantum/s. These lids have almost no vents, allowing them to stay warm and wet. My new Quantum/s will be comfortable right out of the box. No breakin time required. If it's truly well-worn, I should be able to smell it before putting it on. I can't wait to get in it.

centerstand wrote:
Hondaondabrain wrote:
The more a lid stinks, the more comfortable it is.

centerstand wrote:
Hondaondabrain wrote:
Look at this very hot Icon. It looked just like this when I first got in lt. You can see how pre-wear by another guy made this extremely comfortable to get in and stay in on all-day rides. It went on easily, and I felt no need to take it off, and the smell: you just don't get that when you buy new. When I pull the lid off, I still smell it hours later.

centerstand wrote:
G wrote:
No, I got exactly what I was looking for: well-worn comfort. There's nothing better feeling than the super sweaty softness inside a used lid. In a perfect world, the cost of a lid would increase based on the number of hours a guy sweats in it. Luckily, we don't live in a perfect world.

There's nothing like wearing another guy's sweaty stink left behind from a thousand rides under a hot sun. Lids only get better with wear. Guys who've sweated daily in their dirty lids, as an alternative to actually washing their hair with soap and water, have the best lids to sell on eBay. A lid is at its very best when a guy sells it because he can no longer stand being in his own stink. Remember, the smell of another guy's dirty sweat (not your own) is the "new smell" of a used lid. The deeper and the more intense the stink, the longer it will last.

The best day of owning a used lid is when you first take it out of its shipping box. You should be able to smell it as soon as you break open the package. Right away, you'll want to get in it, but pause for a moment.

In the case of my Icon, the salty, greasy padding felt wet to the touch even though it was dry as it could be. That's because salt attracts and holds moisture from the air. Salt is also a good disinfectant. In other words, the sweatier the lid, the cleaner it actually is.

Before sliding into it, that first time, I looked inside my new lid and examined and admired the once pristine white sweat pads, turned a brownish charcoal-gray by years of another guy's head riding in it. This was definitely the lid I'd bargained for. I put my nose against the neck roll, dotted with tiny holes from which excess sweat drips on long summer rides. I breathed in and smelled the stink that I would shortly wear. Mmmmm... The stink.

When I got in it -- when I pulled the lid down my face that first time, it was like, wow! The dirty lid's greasy padding easily slid into place because another guy had been in it a thousand times before me. Some of the padding was tacky -- where it was a dark brown. This helped to hold the lid in place as soon as it completely swallowed my head.

The other guy's stink was gentle, at first. As the lid got hot and wet, the stink intensified, and I could feel his dirty hair funk rubbing onto my own. It was cool how my hair quickly turned into a greasy, dirty, sweaty mop.

When I finally pulled out, my hair and face were coated with a thin layer of stink. It was hot. I could smell it until I took a shower the next day. I knew when I washed off, however, that I'd be coated with more of what was in that dirty lid as soon as my head went back in. A year has passed, and the lid is still hot. I like taking it on long rides.

What's really cool is how the outer shell has only a gentle, sweet smell. So long as I am in the dirty lid, nobody knows what's happening on the inside.

I love being in that dirty lid!

Last edited by centerstand on 14:59 - 09 Jul 2018; edited 5 times in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:24 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweaty sock troll account.

centerstand
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:31 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Sweaty sock troll account.

Not a troll. A sweaty lid is not a sweaty sock.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 242 days between these two posts...
centerstand This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3