Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finding a CCM FT35...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Finding a CCM FT35... Reply with quote

In this vast pool of bikers, someone must know where some of these FT35s have disappeared to. I've always thought they were one of the best looking bikes ever and would really like one for the summer. I am finally in a position to buy one but they were a limited edition in the first place and now seem to have all but vanished.

Anyone know of one for sale or one whose owner could be coaxed to sell?

Edit:

How many left is showing 72 licensed and 13 sorn. Didn't realise there were that few Sad

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres one in a local bike shop. Cambridge motorcycles, selling for £4995 Thumbs Up

Also I agree, awesome looking thing, would love to have a go on it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 06 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truely epic information.

Cambridge Motorcycles

Unit 13
No 26 Cheddars Lane
Cambridge, CB5 8LD

Tel: 01223 360176

This one? ^

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the confirmation, just a quick q, when was the last time you saw it? It's not listed on their site.

Sam_Y_93
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2 Weeks was the last time I was in there. I think they only list the new bikes on there site, so I imagine its still in there.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry its not useful. But their Factory is down the road from me. I could pop in and ask them to fire one out for you.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really that taken by them. Confused

In my eyes, look a bit mish-mash, half DRZ400 with a load of old looking british bits lobbed on.

139kg and 40 odd bhp?

Each to their own. Smile

https://www.mc24.no/getfile.php/Innhold/MC-tester/CCM%202007/FT35_001.jpg

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an epic weekend a few years ago with an FT710.

Absolutley stonking bike, and the first (and only bike so far Laughing ) that i could hoik great big wheelies on.

One day i will have one.
Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:

In my eyes, look a bit mish-mash, half DRZ400 with a load of old looking british bits lobbed on.

139kg and 40 odd bhp?

Each to their own. Smile

https://www.mc24.no/getfile.php/Innhold/MC-tester/CCM%202007/FT35_001.jpg

Well, apart from the fact that it has WP (Austrian) suspension, Brembo (Italian) brakes and a Suzuki (japanese) motor, none of which look 'old' or are british. It's also based on an American concept of flat track racing, so it looks like an American bike, if anything. I think you are concentrating on the handmade polished aluminium tank a bit too much there... Easy thing to do really. Wink

Also did you find the heaviest weight possible for this bike? most have it around the 130kg soaking wet through.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that'd wind you up. Laughing

139kg is the first weight listed when you google it.

Exhaust looks like a bit of an afterthought, personally. If I had £5000 and I wanted a supermoto-esque style bike, I probably wouldn't spend it on an FT35.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Just got off the phone with the place.

It's bored to 470cc, Yoshi cams, full exhaust, so that won't be 40hp Laughing

Owned by one of the business's owners and done 2000ish miles since new, immaculate condition. Chap I spoke to admitted it wasn't on the website because they weren't really fussed about selling it, was too much fun to ride home every now and then and leave gleaming in the corner of the workshop.

Sounds utterly sweet, they are selling it for the owner so I have to wait a couple of weeks as they are on holiday before talking to them about it. Gives me a bit of time to try and scrape cash together.

Anyone want a Buell XB12R? Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:32 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:

How about a highland?

https://thekneeslider.com/images/2010/03/highland-street-tracker.jpg
Claimed weight was 125kg or something silly and power around 85hp from a 950cc twin!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

God that thing is hideous.

It also has a dry weight of 166kg. So not quite ideal for offroading.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:06 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Claimed weight was 128/129kg it seems, after some googling.
166kg was the claimed weight of the adventure/enduro/supermoto style bikes?

(Unless you've got new information, which is quite possible.)

Personally, I don't think the FT35 looks very congruent either.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought i would add that although i loved the brief time i had with one, it wasn't perfect...

There was a slight fuel leak where the petrol tap screws onto the tap (was bodged with ptfe plumbers repair tape..) and the clocks played up every now and again.

Bearing in mind this bike was CCM's dealer and press demo bike (so should supposedly be perfect) this would leave me to suspect that owning one would mean dealing with niggly problems from time to time.

But it still wouldn't put me off owning one.
Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:

Claimed weight was 128/129kg it seems, after some googling.
166kg was the claimed weight of the adventure/enduro/supermoto style bikes?

(Unless you've got new information, which is quite possible.)

Personally, I don't think the FT35 looks very congruent either.

Supermoto 950 has a claimed dry weight of 166kg. It's not new info as such, it just weighs that.

I'm not so sure I'd be happy riding a hefty looking (the Highland looks like it's built from bricks and mortar) 950cc liquid cooled V-twin bike that actually weighed 125kg. The frame would have to be made from helium and hope.

For exactly the same reason people who fit CR500 motors into Mito frames have a habit of dying nastily.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:24 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Supermoto 950 has a claimed dry weight of 166kg. It's not new info as such, it just weighs that.

Yea, that figure used to be displayed alongside 128kg (got it wrong above) for the streettracker.

Far from being heavy, they claimed their engine to be the lightest such v-twin if I remember. I presume it's not as light as the race-focused Aprilia, but that's a bit of a different market.
The low power out put points to them going for light weight over top performance.
Certainly the 166kg of the big bikes is well down on the claimed weights of it's competitors. A quick google shows someone weighed their outback at around 370b (167kg) so maybe the claimed weights weren't too far off.

I presume the dirttracker won't be able to take on the more extreme stuff (ie big jumps) that they've shown the adventure style 950s doing, but should be ok for road and, well, dirt track, I'd have thought Smile.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The low power out put points to them going for light weight over top performance.

O RLY?

Lol. I guess the new 1199 Ducati has an iron crank to get it's 200hp then? Last time I checked, strong lightweight internals made from exotic materials and careful blueprinting were required for high RPM and high power outputs. Heavy duty parts are for turbo diesels Wink

Sometimes G I do think you count on people being thick when you respond. Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:29 - 07 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sure if they had the R&D budget Ducati had, they'd have a lighter or more powerful engine.

As it is, I suspect they had a lot less to spend.
So a lot less test rigs, less cutting-edge materials and a lot less man hours.
So, I suspect, instead they compromised and went for low power output, meaning they didn't need as strong materials.

Be interesting to see if the Ducati engine does manage to beat this one on weight - in which case could prove for a very interesting 'adventure' bike in utilitarian frame like the Highland's.

Hot_Shoe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:28 - 08 Feb 2012    Post subject: Re: Finding a CCM FT35... Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
In this vast pool of bikers, someone must know where some of these FT35s have disappeared to. I've always thought they were one of the best looking bikes ever and would really like one for the summer. I am finally in a position to buy one but they were a limited edition in the first place and now seem to have all but vanished.

Anyone know of one for sale or one whose owner could be coaxed to sell?

Edit:

How many left is showing 72 licensed and 13 sorn. Didn't realise there were that few Sad

I have one of these bikes at the moment. Although they were limited to 120 FT35s models i understand there were (3?) more made to be used for spares. I did read on the CCM Riders forum (sadly now closed) that a number had been exported.
The FT35s has the Suzuki DR400 Enduro engine with more BHP than the DR400SM.
I think it's great fun but you wouldn't want to go far (seat is like sitting on a plank of wood) on it and has some nice bits on it, Brembos, WP Forks, Newton Alloy Tank, Talon Wheels, KTM Swinging Arm etc.

CRF_Rider
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me if i was spending £5big ones i'd be looking at the TM 660 SMX 100kg (give or take) and around 65-70hp. think ill start saving now for my birthday in july.... lmao.

Hot_Shoe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:52 - 08 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had plenty of Supermotos over the years (KTMs, Huskys, Husabergs) and can tell you what a joy it is as a CCM FT35 owner not having to point your foot to the heavens to get on the bloody thing.
I know the FT35 is somehow bracketed in the supermoto class but it isn't. It's a totally different thing altogether and maybe that's it's appeal.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar with the motor, I used to have a DRZ-400e supermoto. Not overly fussed about rider comfort as the seat I used to have was a foam board. Haha.

Cheers for the info, nice to hear from someone that owns one. Smile

Hot_Shoe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:18 - 09 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
I'm familiar with the motor, I used to have a DRZ-400e supermoto. Not overly fussed about rider comfort as the seat I used to have was a foam board. Haha.

Cheers for the info, nice to hear from someone that owns one. Smile

No worries. Glad to be of any help.

As you had a DRZ-400e then you'll appreciate that the FT has a bit more poke than the DRZ400SM sold in the U.K. plus it's a good bit lighter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2