BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR LEGAL?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 05 Apr 2004    Post subject: NSR LEGAL? Reply with quote

I have been looking for an nsr over the past week, found one i loved but found out its derestricted(only got a cbt at the mo).
Asked the dealer if he could restrict it & he looked at me like i was a nutter,anyway he said sure no prob,so am i mad getting it restricted? how many people are on derestricted bikes telling fibs to there insurance? cant cops see it's derestricted with L plates on it?.
Also is the dealer full of it as he's not charging to restrict it & said its easy to do?
as you can see i know loads about bikes Smile

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 22:22 - 05 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I know who's ever had an NSR on a cbt has derestricted theirs. Yes it is illegal, but half the time Honda don't even know if and how they are restricted. So just go for the derestricted NSR, if your worried about the police it'll be an incentive to do your test. Smile

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks but now i have found one thats restricted same year £100 less & less mileage with better condition, only problem is it's private and i wont have a clue if it's knackered. Confused

hush
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:07 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know anyone that could go with you to view it that knows about bikes? If so, go view it and ask that your friend can give it a good look over. If you know a mechanic that would be best. If the seller is genuine, they should welcome someone giving it a good examination before purchasing it.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 06 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it being de-restricted. It doesn't matter aslong as the Insurance company don't know. Only problem is, if its de-restricted and your in some kind of accident, then your insurance is invalid.. God knows what will happen to ya then Razz
But anyway, i've rode my de-restricted and tuned Derbi Senda for a year and nothing happened to me. As long as your a good/careful rider, it shouldnt matter.
Go with which ever one you want Smile

Jono
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:01 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know about the bike but I would buy the restricted one, betting that it hasn't been hammered as much as the other.

As far as the insurance side this is where you want to be worried, I worked in motor claims for a couple of years before going off to uni. If you are insuring the bike Third Part Fire and Theft dont worry about it unless you cause a massive accident and there are 3+ cars involved they will never find out, or you try and claim that the brakes failed and they want to inspect the vehicle etc. Otherwise they have no reason to look at your bike because your not covered for the accidental damage.

The only other circumstance is if you claim for a attempted theft or theft and the bike is recovered and then they will send an engineer to inspect the bike. All in all if your buying it second hand I would worry, you can always plead to the insurance comp that you didnt know that the bike was derestricted, just dont modify it from standard, ie new exhaust etc. Insure it Third Party Fire and Theft with the lowest excess you can get.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:42 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS-Keith wrote:
Don't worry about it being de-restricted. It doesn't matter aslong as the Insurance company don't know. Only problem is, if its de-restricted and your in some kind of accident, then your insurance is invalid.. God knows what will happen to ya then Razz
Go with which ever one you want Smile

Erm, As recent events have proven accidents are often beyond our control. You have to bear in mind that if you get done for riding a derestricted bike, you will be done for riding without a license and without insurance which is very serious.

I'm not saying don't do it, but bear it in mind. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance i was stickin to 30mph top speed on my Derbi. Besides, the dealership already derestricted it when i bought it from them.. "I'm sorry officer, but i didn't know it was restricted" Razz
Even with it having a de-restricted but road legal exhaust which is much louder, nothing has happened.
My NS is also de-restricted, and his a micron pipe on it which is extremely loud, the police round here couldn't care less as long as your don't speed.
It depends on what is printed on your V5 ownership docs, my Derbi is indicated "restricted" but my Honda isn't, so nothin to worry about.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:00 - 07 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old a bike is it? Older ones didn't have restrictions as far as I know.

Personally I've never heard of a 125 being checked for restrictions (I'm awaiting TC to tell me about all those that he's ordered to be checked Smile ). The majority of police probably aren't aware that such things exist.

Also recent circumstances have shown that buying from a dealer means very little at all. Infact I'd say 80%-90% of the bikes that I've heard of being bought from a dealer have had something fairly major wrong with them, that hasn't been sorted by the dealer.

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 08 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx 4 the info, i'm picking an nsr up in an hour,its restricted so ain't gotta worry about it now Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1