Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Halifax Online Banking scam (Not the usual phishing emails)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Halifax Online Banking scam (Not the usual phishing emails) Reply with quote

Alright guys,

I logged into my online banking tonight from my laptop, and as my accounts page loaded up, a small pop up window, incorporated into the halifax website popped up, asking for some additional security questions.

The first one was my memorible word, which wasnt so bad, as you have to enter that to log in anyway.
But then it was asking for my long card numbers, and even security codes!

Of course, I didnt enter any of these, I phoned my online banking.

They suggested I get my laptop checked, as it sounds like a virus.

I didnt really beleive this info they gave me. So logged in from Rox's laptop, and no pop up window.

So clearly, it is my laptop.


What can I do about this?
I've NEVER had issues with virus' before. At all.
So I dont really know where to start.
I hate buying antivirus software etc.
But I need something which will get rid of this trojan / spywear / key logger virus thing I've got on my lap top.

Any help much appreciated.



Ta



Ben
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatpies
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:59 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malware bytes? https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Also maybe use linux for your online banking?

I use a linux I have on a USB key and boot from that sometimes when I suspect something is wrong. Then again I've got about 6 USB bootable keys to do it from.

Or get one of those annoying pin senty things, I have a barclays one.
____________________
"It's easy to attack and destroy an act of creation. It's a lot more difficult to perform one"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:12 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of it you have this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16812064

The virus alters the code of banking sites to make you enter in more information while keeping with the sites themes.

It's why banks regularly switch their layout, to try and stay on step ahead.

I've always used AVG free + Malwarebytes and have never had a virus.
____________________
"Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing."
Sudika Sportsman SK50QT > Gilera DNA50 > Honda CBR125 RW7 > Kawasaki Zephyr750 > Suzuki GSXR600 > Honda Hornet CB600F '51
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:46 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you log into Banking sites on a laptop without any form of security?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Are you saying you log into Banking sites on a laptop without any form of security?


I was thinking that Neutral

As for what to do, I'm a bit of a paranoid freak. Whenever I get a virus my data gets backed up (it's backed up every night anyway, I just do a final check) then I format the hard drive. Then reinstall everything.

I never buy anti-virus either though, I use the following free combination:
Arrow COMODO Internet Security
Arrow Microsoft Security Essentials
Arrow Threatfire
Arrow Rapport

Works well for me. I also choose that combination instead of using the McAfee suite, which my ISP gives us for free.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I log in just basic chrome and whatever... security is least of my worries.

I have a PINsentry and it only asks me fore that. If it asked me for anything else I wouldn't bother.

Just wipe it for the lulz and reinstall with something like superantispyware and eset NOD32 antiirus/firewall. Have this is you need it, just PM me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Just wipe it for the lulz and reinstall with something like superantispyware and eset NOD32 antiirus/firewall. Have this is you need it, just PM me.


It always amuses me that people who don't know a dll from a dildo get their "security" software from torrent sites. It's a bit like getting your "pork chops" from a mortuary. Thumbs Up
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Are you saying you log into Banking sites on a laptop without any form of security?


I do, haven't used an antivirus in a good 7-8 years, every 6 months or so I'll download a package and run a scan for shits and gigs, comes up clean everytime, pehaps a few tracking cookies, but thats it. Never been scammed/hacked/whatever. Antiviruses etc are for retards who don't know how to use a computer and by all means should not be allowed near one.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
It always amuses me that people who don't know a dll from a dildo get their "security" software from torrent sites. It's a bit like getting your "pork chops" from a mortuary. Thumbs Up


Wut, I actually work providing some security shit to schools and have the option of a managed service from Sophos... I just prefer using my own setup.

Relax Laughing I actually think you are a decent BCF'er. dont make me change my mind... bitch Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
Antiviruses etc are for retards who don't know how to use a computer and by all means should not be allowed near one.


Kind of similar to saying "Insurance is only for people that crash, therefore people that buy insurance should by all means not be allowed near a vehicle."

Now of course we all hope to go through our lives never having to actually claim from the insurance - but if we have to we're glad it's there. I would say the same could be said for Antivirus; you could use your computer forever without ever getting infected, but if you do ever get infected you may well be glad that you had it.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
I do, haven't used an antivirus in a good 7-8 years, every 6 months or so I'll download a package and run a scan for shits and gigs, comes up clean everytime, pehaps a few tracking cookies, but thats it. Never been scammed/hacked/whatever. Antiviruses etc are for retards who don't know how to use a computer and by all means should not be allowed near one.

GhostRider


The same could be said of people who require help from Motorcycle forums but most of us aren't arrogant cunts Thumbs Up

Incidently you are of course aware that downloading and running an anti virus program onto an already infected computer isn't the brightest idea as it raises the chances that any viruses will remain undetected.

HTH Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use internet explorer.
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 10 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

calyx wrote:
Don't use internet explorer.



Dont jump to the conclusion that I do. Wink


I use firefox. But am tempted to change again, as it's starting to p*ss me off a little now.

I downloaded the AVG antivirus software, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware last night.
Ran both scanners side by side, and deleted 10 threats this morning when I woke up.

Logged into my bank, and it was fine.

So happy days.



Cheers for all the input.


As for logging into my bank from a wireless laptop, yes I do.
There is fuck all in there to steal if somebody wanted to go to great depths to keylog my login etc.
I'm poor! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:13 - 11 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amuses me that you can afford lots of expensive tat for all your toy bikes, yet you seemingly can't afford a decent AV. An OEM version of Kasperskycan be had for £10-£15. And if you really are on the margins of skint, you'll feel it all the more if they hit you just after payday.
____________________
Prize cunt
--
"In a world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:26 - 11 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:
It amuses me that you can afford lots of expensive tat for all your toy bikes, yet you seemingly can't afford a decent AV. An OEM version of Kasperskycan be had for £10-£15. And if you really are on the margins of skint, you'll feel it all the more if they hit you just after payday.



Im not really skint. Razz

Didnt realize antivirus software was that cheap. Whenerver I buy a new laptop, they always try to sell me it for like an additional £100, so they usually just get the Middle Finger
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Didnt realize antivirus software was that cheap. Whenerver I buy a new laptop, they always try to sell me it for like an additional £100, so they usually just get the Middle Finger


Embarassed

You mean people still pay for anti virus.......

Plenty of FREE legit anti virus.....

Would never dream of paying for it Twisted Evil
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 94.79 Kb