Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Android anti virus application?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 12 Feb 2012    Post subject: Android anti virus application? Reply with quote

What application do you use? I use Dr.Web and Kaspersky lite(both free).
Kaspersky lite doesn't have scanning function so I installed Dr.Web too. I recently bought my first smart phone. Please let me know yours Thumbs Up
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 12 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently using "AVG Mobilation". I have AVG Free on my PC at home, always found it to be reliable and easy to use, so I took the chance on the mobile equivalent.
It has a scanning function, it's free, and seems to be OK so far Thumbs Up
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps.

https://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57325078-83/free-android-antivirus-apps-fail-to-cut-it/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 12 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Asus transformer prime and galaxy s2 dont bother with anti virus.
____________________
Current: 2019 Yamaha T7 -> 2015 KTM Superduke R | 2000 Yamaha R1 Past -> 2009 KTM 990 SM -> 2005 kawasaki ZX10r -> 2000 Honda CBR 600 FY -> 2002 Honda XLV 125 Varadero
Bike Pics! -> My Photography Website
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:20 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
Got Asus transformer prime and galaxy s2 dont bother with anti virus.


TF101 + SGS2

No A/V
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is anti virus needed?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

This article was helpful. Free ones seem to nearly useless.
I must consider paid one if I really need to trust them. Thumbs Up
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/virus.png
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:00 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost wrote:
Why is anti virus needed?

Because I think Android smart phone is nearly same as notebook.
Everyone protect their PCs but nearly none of their Android.
It's said that virus/malware developped for Android will emerge soon.
I don't browse suspicious HPs with my android, I browse BCF mainly, sometimes other normal websites. But I'm afraid my friends phone number and email addresses got nicked and spammed.
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:08 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android is linux based. I've used linux for 5 years without any anti virus and never needed any. I've used android for a year and never needed any.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost wrote:
Android is linux based. I've used linux for 5 years without any anti virus and never needed any. I've used android for a year and never needed any.


As far as the OS is concerned, I would agree with you.

However you get some "rouge" apps on Android. For example apps that send premium sms messages or make premium phone calls without your consent. There was a bug also which let any app read something on the phone (important though I think it was) just by requesting the internet permission.

But I don't install many apps. I don't bother with A/V either.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steven_191
Nearly there...



Joined: 31 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:24 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You start to learn what websites are gonna have shit on them. That mainly helps.

I'm using an Acer iconia and I've had AVG on it. That table is making me reconsider though.

True about the last comment though. Linux based and Linux is generally problem free.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mirror of OSX viruses, you'll only get them if you are daft enough to install them, all trojans and very little else. Trouble is that the lack of policing in the android market and ease of getting apps from third party sources kind of backfires in this instance.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:22 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
As far as the OS is concerned, I would agree with you.

However you get some "rouge" apps on Android. For example apps that send premium sms messages or make premium phone calls without your consent. There was a bug also which let any app read something on the phone (important though I think it was) just by requesting the internet permission.

But I don't install many apps. I don't bother with A/V either.

I don't install many apps either. Dictionary and 2chmate and housekeeping account only. By reading reputation comments carefully I want to avoid rouge apps.
steven_191 wrote:
You start to learn what websites are gonna have shit on them. That mainly helps.

Seb wrote:
Trouble is that the lack of policing in the android market and ease of getting apps from third party sources kind of backfires in this instance.

I must carefully install apps until I get used to see if it's ok or not Thumbs Up
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol antivirus for phones Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

calyx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:


However you get some "rouge" apps on Android. For example apps that send premium sms messages or make premium phone calls without your consent.


I know those apps.

com.girlsfisteachother.apk
com.freesmsandcalls.apk

and so on...
____________________
Boris - London
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
lol antivirus for phones Rolling Eyes

I'm not good at IT. My older PC once broke when I visited erotic site though I had A/V(Mcafee) soft on it. Since then I'm scared of virus. I was also scared of being known what genre of sites I'm visiting.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2577094
Since then I delete all cookies every 10 minutes and open a new tab before visiting my friend's blogs and BCF.
If my phone affected by virus and send my browse histories to all my friends, they will call me a pervert! I was scared of that!
____________________
own:2020 Serow 250
owned: 2012 YB125SP, 2008 TDM900, 2005 W650, 2002 LS125R, 2002 CB400SF, NS50F, C50 / Trip to UK(2009), Hokkaido touring(2013)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get spyware, adware, toolbars, pop ups, etc many years ago. But one i stopped using internet explorer it nearly completely stopped. Using linux and chrome i never get anything any more. Chrome beta is out for android now and will probably be very secure.
I installed one app (freya, it's very very pretty!) that was popping up adverts in the top menu. It was annoying so i removed it, but i don't think of that as being a security problem, just the app makers selecting an annoying method of advertising.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled across this earlier: www.technologyreview.com/communications/39677?p1=MstRcnt/

I also share Frost's idea. Any app that tries to advertise out-side of the app, well that's getting deleted.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 101.26 Kb