Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1st driving lesson

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rockers
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:34 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: 1st driving lesson Reply with quote

hello all, well got to do it before they change it anymore,

Tomorrow i am doing my 1st driving lesson with the AA and well just wondering what happens on the 1st lesson ? its a two hour one so i guess abit ?

How many lesson should i epxect to need ?

I have a driven a car ina field abit when i was young bout it, I have been on the road on a bike for the last 5 years so have abit of road 'sense'

Compared to a DAS bike test is it harder ?

Cheers all

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on your instructor. My first lesson was a two hour lesson, and he gave me some handouts, showing blind spots, gears, turning theory, stopping distances and other helpful titbits and then proceeded to teach me to drive.

You'll start somewhere quiet, industrial estate maybe. He'll explain the controls, and where you need to look, etc. Then you'll be starting and stopping into you're comfortable doing so.

After that it really depends on what your skill level is. I took 4months to learn and pass my test. I was doing two hours a week normally, but did a lot of four hour weeks. Not sure how many hours I spent at it in total, but my instructor was a really good guy, very helpful.

All was worthless in the end though, as insurance is stupidly high for me! Laughing Good Luck.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

First lesson will be showing you the controls, moving off and stopping with the correct observations and signals if required. May get to turning left or right in or out of a side road.

The average driver takes about 40 hours worth of tuition, but this can and does vary according to aptitude and practice with family members. I had a guy who took 16 hrs from scratch and another guy over 400 hours. I had people who did many hours but were hit and miss. The two hours a week for 4 months sounds about average.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:51 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

The average driver takes about 40 hours worth of tuition, but this can and does vary according to aptitude and practice with family members.

How things have changed, 13 hours including my test for me when I was 17. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:

How things have changed, 13 hours including my test for me when I was 17. Laughing

8 hours for me. That is the problem with parents when you tell them how many lessons, especially the fathers.

When I took my test I had been riding a push bike on the road from 5-6 years of age, riding a motorbike for a few years, walked to school and crossed roads. Kids of today don't do any of that and have no road sense what so ever. Roads are busy now, granted, but most kids the first time they have any dealings with roads and having to deal with others is when they get their first driving lesson.
it is also said that their first experience of fail is their driving test too, as at school they never fail, they just get a lower mark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Kids of today don't do any of that and have no road sense what so ever. Roads are busy now, granted, but most kids the first time they have any dealings with roads and having to deal with others is when they get their first driving lesson.
Indeed, as a kid I was taught to 'stop, look, listen' and always given a stern talking to for approaching a road and ignoring that advice, last week I know a kid who's 10 and went to run obliviously across one of the busiest roads in the area; I had to pull her back from the kerb edge because i dont think any driver traveling more than 10mph could stop in an instant yet it would be their fault, at least socially.

I avoided big companies, I went with "Bill Plant" first for the 6@£60 deal but after 5 I still wasn't driving main roads so when I requested to be tried he dodged it, so I cancelled and went with a better one (taught a few in my family and does ADI courses), passed shortly after. Only cost £2 extra per lesson compared to going rate.

dodgydog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
Skudd wrote:

The average driver takes about 40 hours worth of tuition, but this can and does vary according to aptitude and practice with family members.

9 lessons, £1 a lesson when I was 17 Shocked . 1st lesson was an hour, just round some quiet streets, stopping and starting and hill starts.

`dog

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 Lessons when i was 18. Got my First Car a Vauxhall Nova.

£1100 to insure, then give up the cars after two years for bikes.

Now I'm 26 and they want £1500 insurance on a 900cc Cinquecento.

I'd rather get wet on the bike. Thumbs Up
Rebel This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

rockers
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:22 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys, well it went well, instructor took me to a quiet street, showed me the controls how it all works etc, swapped seats and got me to pull away, then that was it about hour and a half of driving around the local area out to the back roads for a while and back and around the town,

Instructor said he was happy with all me steering clutch n that, said very god but dont know if they say that all the time ?

Next wednesday again another 2 hours,

Main problem i have is relising how bigger the car is than the bike Smile

Cheers guys

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockers wrote:
cheers guys, well it went well, instructor took me to a quiet street, showed me the controls how it all works etc, swapped seats and got me to pull away, then that was it about hour and a half of driving around the local area out to the back roads for a while and back and around the town,

Instructor said he was happy with all me steering clutch n that, said very god but dont know if they say that all the time ?

Next wednesday again another 2 hours,

Main problem i have is relising how bigger the car is than the bike Smile

Cheers guys

He was probably being honest, a good instructor would be quick to tell you where you're going wrong, after my shambles of a first lesson in clutch control, it sounds like you did well Thumbs Up

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all down to each individual, you can't say how many hours everyone needs.

I paid for 20 upfront because that meant I got a 20% discount on a block booking.

When I was 16 (August 31st birthday, youngest in the class, so everyone else was driving before the summer holidays, I had to wait until the end) I went with my dad to an off-road site in Sheffield which they used for truck driving lessons and did a few hours there getting used to clutch control and changing gear, stopping and starting etc... so that I had some experience when I got to my first lesson.

After my 2nd lesson I went out with my dad, and we'd do about 5 hours a week driving in the evenings and weekends, to every 1 or 2 hour lesson I had.

Ended up passing first time after 9 weeks and 17 lessons. Including using an hour for the test, I had 2 hours pre-paid lessons left, so used them towards my Pass Plus, which is 5 hours.

Anthony192
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding 3 years now and I've just started driving lessons as well.

My first lesson was a free 2 hours and we went to Tesco's car park, learnt the controls, went round the car park a few times learning the steering and did some reversing as well. After that it was about an hour on the road and has been on the road ever since doing one or two test manoeuvres a lesson. I've had 8 hours in total and he says I should start to look to book my test.

Guess it's down to how confident you are and your instructor. I've heard some instructors don't take you out of car parks for the first ten hours but my girlfriend learnt through the AA so you should all right.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 15 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Girlfriend did 1 hour on a retail park and then had 12 more lessons and past first time. She has been driving a year and is very alert and observant when driving. And to be honest i actually feel safe when in the car than say My Dad, who drives far too fast.

She struggled with the theory questions tho but passed the test 1st time with one minor for speed.

Capt Castle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:27 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have no bother with your bike experience. I did a week (20 hour) intensive with test at the end 18 months ago. Once you get the hang of controlling the car it's just road craft, and I assume you've got a grip of that Smile

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

my kids all learned to drive off road when they were young
started with grass carts & off road buggies
Daughter took to driving like a duck to water and just about to sit her test after a dozen or so lessons

quite a few of my family & cousins etc are driving instructors
my dad had one old woman whe he eventually refused to take back out
as after 120 lessons 6 failed tests she still wanted to try, problem was she was a nervous old biddy
that panicked at the slightest thing and got all flustered and he didn't want to take her money as it was obvious she would never pass

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the hell needs 40 hours of tuition?

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 16 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and as I always bought the boys there bikes she figures I owe her £1500 towards her first car Surprised

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 17 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Who the hell needs 40 hours of tuition?

many who have not had any road experience and are starting from scratch.

Just think of the hours you have spent on the road before taking any tests. that is all learning. so for someone like you who say rode a bike every day for an hour for two years then took your test you will have had at least 700 hours worth of learning.
many people need to learn judgement, confidence aswell as the skills of manoeuvering a vehicle. Motorbikes for example people are learning from the age of 3-4 years of age if they are on a push bike. Aptitude is also a factor. some people can picture in their minds eye where the corner of a vehicle is, others have to actually see it.
So 40 hours from scratch isn't alot really.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:12 - 17 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it in 11 hours. Five 2 hour lessons, and one hour before my test.

Driving is really easy once you've had experience on a bike and have a bike licence IMO.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 17 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scythe wrote:
I did it in 11 hours. Five 2 hour lessons, and one hour before my test.

Driving is really easy once you've had experience on a bike and have a bike licence IMO.

That is quite well done, but like you say the bike experience helps alot.

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 17 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd, much you charge a lesson and where are you from? How tall ate you anyway? Thanks.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinhDinh wrote:
Skudd, much you charge a lesson and where are you from? How tall ate you anyway? Thanks.

I used to charge between £18-24 depending on the offer, unfortunately I no longer teach, damn economy going through the floor.

I am just tall enough that if I was to stand on a step I would be a step taller than if I wasn't stood on the step.

The999Kid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 17 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

I am just tall enough that if I was to stand on a step I would be a step taller than if I wasn't stood on the step.

https://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/8/8/4bcbfb6e-e257-4834-85cc-6bafaf35300a.jpg
NDB 19/10/1989 - 1/11/2010 |Nowhere.Elyseum wrote: I get the distinct feeling that Tim should be our secret weapon for future trolling. I don't know many people that can rip the piss in Iambic pentameter

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 17 Feb 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taller than leonardo dicaprio?

Also I didn't think driving instructors would be affected that much, but I guess people can't afford cars.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2