Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"Removable waterproof liner" what's the point? tex

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: "Removable waterproof liner" what's the point? tex Reply with quote

So we're trying to find a waterproof textile jacket for my girlfriend but half the jackets have a removable waterproof liner... why not make the jacket itself waterproof and not the liner?

Anyone bought these kinda jackets and can tell me much about them?

Also, how flipping difficult is it to find nice jackets for girls?! Any girls got any recommendations on places to buy or try (Watford/Oxford sort of areas)
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaah, the perils of buying ladies bike gear that is actually functional rather than aesthetically pleasing. If you like looking at leather waistcoats and tassels..... Shudder.

Anyway there are places out there and there is a little more choice now than there was a few years ago. Two places that I regularly buy from are Helmet City and GirlsBike2, both have websites which I can't link to at the moment. Helmet City have three shops and the one I have been to has helpful staff who will sort you out, plus their ladies range has been expanding recently.

GirlsBike2 has just one shop with a fair range of stock, both leathers and textiles, and once you know brands and sizes they will order things in for you if they don't have it in stock. I bought both sets of my leathers from them and they even posted one set back to me as I rode there on the bike and couldn't take them home with me.

Start with those two Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Re: "Removable waterproof liner" what's the point? Reply with quote

m0l0t0v wrote:
So we're trying to find a waterproof textile jacket for my girlfriend but half the jackets have a removable waterproof liner... why not make the jacket itself waterproof and not the liner?

Anyone bought these kinda jackets and can tell me much about them?

Waterproof liner is removable because you can get pretty hot with it in. So you can take it out and wear the jacket in summer too. The idea of the waterproof on the inside is that the outer layer takes the force out of the rain making it less likely to get through the inner layer. Outer layer waterproofing wears out and there's no real effective way of re-waterproofing. Most of the 're-waterproofer' stuff is rubbish.

Be warned, the inner waterproof layers may not be breathable (depends on what you're paying).

My jacket has 3 layers in total, outer, waterproof, thermal - in all but the coldest weather you'd melt wearing all 3.

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jacket is waterproof(to an extent) and has a removable thermal layer. I use it during summer and it's absolutely fine. So that doesn't give me a good answer.

Still shit for only the inner layer to be waterproof. All the stuff in your pockets get wet. Great.

What about when it's hot and raining? Sacrifice getting hot and dry our wet and cold? Stupid system regardless.
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:09 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got HG ones like that.

Excellent for getting it so that it takes a while for you to get wet, but when you do the entire lot is soaking for AGES because the water is held by the outer.

mjn51
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a removable waterproof and thermal layer, great on dry summer days take out the waterproof layer and have more comfort

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I've got HG ones like that.

Excellent for getting it so that it takes a while for you to get wet, but when you do the entire lot is soaking for AGES because the water is held by the outer.

And that's just settled it for me. Not buying something that ridiculous

FriendlyEllis
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:42 - 14 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have RST Ventilator III which has the 3 layers.

Outer, waterproof, thermal.

In winter all 3, spring, remove the thermal, summer remove the waterproof too to let some wind blow through.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:38 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Textiles are for warmth, thats about it. They dont crash as well and when they get wet, the outside will stay wet for hours. If you get wet, hope for some dry road and ride faster. Mine are Dianese D-dry have a breathable waterproof inner layer, only the thermal bit is removable. Just as shit - beware of textile pockets, many are not waterproof Evil or Very Mad

Leather is waterproof and holds zero water.. except that breathable patch they put surrounding my cock, so it looks like Ive wet myself Laughing

blackbosh
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:39 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the RST Ventilators and like the flexibility of the 3 layers as I have not needed another set of pants from winter through to summer

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear mesh armour for maximum breeze factor in summer and put a fleece under it in winter. It has a waterproof liner jacket too which I keep rolled up for emergencies if I get caught out. If I know it's going to shit it down I have a goretex jacket one size too big to go over my armour but the liner does the job in a pinch.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Leather is waterproof and holds zero water.. except that breathable patch they put surrounding my cock, so it looks like Ive wet myself Laughing

Reckon that's universal, my textiles do precisely the same thing. Legs are bone dry but crotch looks like a tramp's strides.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph do a "tri tex" which is waterproof and breathable and something else. The only downside is that it's not breathable or waterproof.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:22 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The designers obviously don't know much about English Summers
.... It Rains in the summer too

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spray my textile jacket with shoe waterproofing spray. The suede one is my usual choice. It's cheaper than proper purpose waterproofing spray - has similar ingredients. It works well enough, keeps the jacket showerproof. Thumbs Up

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 15 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removable waterproof liners are a complete waste of time IMO.

They're the bit closest to you, normally, so when you get absolutely soaked, it's like wearing a heavy wet coat on top of a plastic bag.

I stay away from floating goretex liners (z-liner system) for similar reasons, whether they are removable or not.

Quote:
Textiles are for warmth, thats about it. They dont crash as well and when they get wet, the outside will stay wet for hours.

You haven't tried good textiles, then. Goretex pro-shell stuff is excellent. Doesn't soak up water at all, can ride in rain for hours and only get a little bit steamed up inside.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1