Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Consensus on the Brit/Chinese AJS bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bLiXeY
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:30 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Consensus on the Brit/Chinese AJS bikes? Reply with quote

What's the general consensus, anyone own one?

I'm considering selling a kidney to buy one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110827469436?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

It looks the part, but I wouldn't want another Chinese bike that vibrates itself loose Very Happy

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think Chinese bikes can be good, but I wouldn't risk p*ssing away £2000 on a lemon.

FBSF
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:40 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, might just be me, but those exhausts look like matt-stove-enamel paint. Or the sort that would last about 3 months before needing to be repainted.

Also, "up to 75mpg". On a 125 - really? I get nearly 60mpg out of my GS500, and my CM200 does nearly 80.

Granted, it does look distinctive, but a 2/3-yr old Japanese 125 will more than likely be a far better bet for the same cash.

The warranty also seems to have more holes than swiss cheese... i.e. "14. The warranty does not cover faults,
defects or damage caused by faults or
defects that have not been reported to an
authorized AJS dealer or approved dealer
within seven days of discovering the fault."

Caveat Emptor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:45 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 grand is a lot of money for a Chinese 125. It's prettier than the average, but for how long?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you mental?

£2000?

I could've done my test, bought my ZX9R, and done a trackday with some change for that.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:06 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me you is trollin'

Nowhere close to considered Laughing For 2k you can get a stunner of a YBR/CBF

You would have to have a money tree to consider it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks shit.

Do your test and buy a 500 twin.

If you still want it to look shit then spend the change on rim stripes, caffeine+glucose drink decals and dominator headlights for the full chav effect.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:19 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
rim stripes, caffeine+glucose drink decals and dominator headlights for the full chav effect.

You sound like an expert, I bet you have a pitbike Wink

bLiXeY
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:34 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, the absolute voices of reason I needed to hear...it just looks so purtee Sad

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120866288938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is the other bike I might have a punt on, rather different!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:35 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bLiXeY wrote:
Thanks chaps, the absolute voices of reason I needed to hear...it just looks so purtee Sad

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120866288938?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Much better option. That front drum brake will make a man of you Laughing

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bLiXeY wrote:

If you want something 37 years old to kick, throw spanners and swear at then go for it.

If you want a motorcycle to ride then it's another shit idea Laughing .

What exactly is wrong with something like a CG125, YBR125 etc? They will go for about the same price as that "classic" will but might actually spend enough time on the road for you to get to work.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:46 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, can I beat you with a virtual hammer. Laughing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-YAMAHA-YBR-125-FUEL-INJECTION-/110795000914?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19cbe58c52

^^^ 2 grand, far better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YBR-125-2006-TAX-Just-serviced-15k-miles-warranty-/350533498741?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item519d6cb775

^^^ Under a grand, bargain

You definitely need to think logically. Chinese = no, Old = no.

Get a fairly modern thing, do the test before your time runs out and bish bash bosh, any bike is possible after that Thumbs Up

bLiXeY
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:38 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAM YOUR BALANCED REASON GAINED THROUGH YEARS OF EXPERIENCE!! Laughing Laughing

You know I think I may be discerning a pattern with my past vehicle purchases...my car owning history includes the likes of an early 80's Lancia!

I may have some strange disorder whereupon I take on weird/shite vehicles that I spend more time fixing than using Very Happy

That bike for a grand looks good paddy.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:46 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bLiXeY wrote:
That bike for a grand looks good paddy.

You can get plenty of jap 125s for under a grand.

I would go for the blue one, its had a new lockset, so what. Its a runner Mr. Green

carlosthejack...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

blixey, that bike in your OP looks like a piece of shit. AVOID. As has already been proven, there's far far better available...
Current rides: '05 VFR800 VTEC, '57 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi #58LEGEND
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:46 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Consensus on the Brit/Chinese AJS bikes? Reply with quote

bLiXeY wrote:
I'm considering selling a kidney to buy one of these

Lamb or pig?

It's a Chinese-made no-brand bike with the added twist that you can't get parts for it. (Even) I wouldn't touch it at half that price, it'll be a paperweight as soon as it develops a problem and the seller points you at the Warranty clause that says that making a claim "will result in Mr Crunchy the pit bull being set on you."

Please tell me that you have a license and are just choosing to lark around. Very Happy

koolio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:56 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thing about Chinese bikes is they are cheap.

As soon as they stop being cheap they're not worth it, until they really prove themselves in the future and its a long way from that.

I would stay away from it with a barge pole at that price, wouldn't even pay half for it.

bLiXeY
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Consensus on the Brit/Chinese AJS bikes? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Please tell me that you have a license and are just choosing to lark around. Very Happy

No, I honestly do take on vehicles that most normal people wouldn't, just to be 'different'.

All well and good when I'm lucky enough to pick what is actually a good vehicle, but I've owned some stupid bloody heaps too.

Nobody's perfect ey! Very Happy

I'm currently driving a Delica L400 (which are all grey imports from Japan), because I wanted to make a camper conversion van but couldn't bear to be seen in a sodding VW!
Babba This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 01 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
If you still want it to look shit then spend the change on caffeine+glucose drink decals .

Yeah, what the fuck is it with those "Monster" stickers?

It's like those "Fat Willy's" and "No Fear" stickers on the back windows of family cars a few years ago, ie: Shit.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Consensus on the Brit/Chinese AJS bikes? Reply with quote

[quote="bLiXeY"]
Rogerborg wrote:

I'm currently driving a Delica L400 (which are all grey imports from Japan), because I wanted to make a camper conversion van but couldn't bear to be seen in a sodding VW!

WHAT??!!! You dismissed an absolute air cooled classic for a delica??

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:28 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Consensus on the Brit/Chinese AJS bikes? Reply with quote

bLiXeY wrote:
No, I honestly do take on vehicles that most normal people wouldn't, just to be 'different'.

Me too (Houniao HN125-8, Lifan Skygo LF250-B, Kwak GPz305), but I stress that even I wouldn't touch that AJS.

Delica's are awesome though, proper offroaders in Mummy Bus clothing. Thumbs Up

bLiXeY
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:36 - 02 Mar 2012    Post subject: Re: Consensus on the Brit/Chinese AJS bikes? Reply with quote

janner_10 wrote:
WHAT??!!! You dismissed an absolute air cooled classic for a delica??

Absolutely! I have no issue with dubs, the Cali is indeed a thing of beauty, but the lack of imagination required to purchase a VW camper makes me want to puke Very Happy

I do a lot of trekking/wild camping and the 4x4 Delica has gotten me places a VW could never get to.

This is the D5 (newer model): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNo0z3PjJRQ&feature=related

Huge cult following in Japan, this is the older L300 (which I love too): https://mitsubishi-delica.info/history/photos/mitsubishi-delica.jpg

The only VW that can compete is the Syncro, which is the quite rare 4x4 version of the VW van.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a l300 delica like that untill xmas, then someone stole it off me,
really fucjed me off, it was running a 3" lift on 33' tyres,
lsd in the back, old man emu heavy duty shocks, and rancho torsion bars,
bull bars, brand new motor, turbo, and hd clutch,
it was surprisingly good off road, despite being a bit top heavy,

now i have a british car, which has cost me a small fortune in the last 2 months, (ok it is 50 years old Very Happy ) i wish i still had my delica Sad
such a useful vehicle here in nz

any way back on topic,
i wouldnt spend a huge amount of money on a chinese bike, but the ajs dealer network in the uk is quite good, so if i was foll hardy enough to buy a chinese bike, it probably would be near the top of a very shit list, certainly not a 2000 quid bike though

a old 125 smokey would be far better for the money

ninja_butler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 03 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonnyBrago wrote:
bLiXeY wrote:

If you want something 37 years old to kick, throw spanners and swear at then go for it.

If you want a motorcycle to ride then it's another shit idea Laughing .

What exactly is wrong with something like a CG125, YBR125 etc? They will go for about the same price as that "classic" will but might actually spend enough time on the road for you to get to work.

I sort of agree but there's nothing wrong with buying a 1970's classic, the only problem with most old Japanese bikes is that they are old so to buy one that is in decent condition you end up spending as much or more than you would on the modern equivalent unless you get lucky and find one that's been dry-stored and forgotten about in the back of someone's shed/garage.

I don't know who bought that CB 125 on Ebay but for £670 I think they paid £170 over the odds; it's not bad, but as the seller clearly states, it does need a lot of tidying up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2