BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SHHHHH MICRON

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: SHHHHH MICRON Reply with quote

Gave me nsr125 a good thrash today(very enjoyable) Smile.
After about an hour i came to the conclusion that i hate my micron exhaust(its tooooooo loud), everyone in the street stops & looks round to see a loud thing on L plates Embarassed .
which exhaust do you think i should switch too, feel kinda like a plum at the mo Sad .

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the micron even road legal?
coz if its road legal, i wouldnt bother about the noise.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:40 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think the Micron is road legal, as standard. However the baffle packing is bound to have compressed over the years by now. Check if you can remove the end cap from the silencer (on the old Allspeed exhausts you just had a circlip to allow this, some you have to drill a few rivits out). If so remove the old glass fibre packing and replace it with fresh. You can buy it, but the easiest place to get it is probably a moto cross shop. Failing that loft insulation will also just about do the job.

All the best

Keith

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks my friend Smile
got tomorrow off work i'll have a bash at that.
you serious about the loft insulation?, 1st bike only had it 5 days & someone just told me to stick loft insulation in me exhaust Shocked , learn something new every day Smile.
also why i'm here, the back brake squeaks like a pregnant mouse getting kicked in the crutch, any ideas ?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:45 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Loft insulation is a finer glass fibre, and is nastier to handle (wear protective gloves), but it will do the job. I have used it in a Cagiva Freccia exhaust when I could not find any proper baffle packing locally.

The back brake on the NS125 is a drum. There could well be a build up of brake dust inside causing it to squeal. However, also check the play in the rear wheel bearings, especially if the bike has not been used for a while before you got it.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Better give you some more info on the silencer!

The silencer will have a perforated tube down the middle. Around the outside of that there will be something to absorb the noise (commonly glass fibre), and then there is the outside over. There should be no noise absorbing material down the middle of the perforated tube, just round the outside of it.

Standard exhaust often do not go straight through but most of the aftermarket ones do.

Not all exhausts can be repacked. Some can easily (such as the Allspeed ones) where there is a large circlip at the end of the exhaust holding the baffle in place. Some exhausts have the back of the silencer held on with a couple of rivits. With these you can normally drill the rivits out. Some instead have small bolts (Arrow 2 stroke aftermarket silencers are like this). If you drill the rivits out then make sure you have some new ones to put in along with a riviter!

Also, over time with a 2 stroke the perforated tube can get gummed out with burnt on 2 stroke oil. It is worth cleaning this out as well.

All the best

Keith

jam_uk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think i'd ever worry about the noise too much.. unless it was so ridiculous you ended up with hearing problems!

Mind you I have no experience of 2-strokes, except knowing you need to keep the revs up to keep any sort of power going...? in this case if you're riding around town in a heavily populated area I guess it could get loud! On a 4-Stroke I guess you could just ride in a higher gear and keep the revs down to lower the noise, this is what I plan to do when I fit the micron race can. Embarassed Obviously only for use when I'm on the race track... Embarassed

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:17 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam_uk wrote:
I don't think i'd ever worry about the noise too much.. unless it was so ridiculous you ended up with hearing problems!

It is the wind noise that will make you deaf.

The exhaust noise will just pee the neighbours off, so when someone comes to nick the bike they are less likely to stop them.

All the best

Keith

grem543
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 12 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that went well Sad.
Up at 7.30, then got a phone call to get me butt to work, had a quick look at the exhaust & could not see anyway to get the end cap off?, looks welded i will have to have a propper look tomorrow in better light Smile.
Thanks for all the help Thumbs Up

John
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 19 Apr 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

It is the wind noise that will make you deaf.

Not if you had my AR125. I never knew there was any wind until I got the VFR. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1