Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cycle to work scheme.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:17 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Cycle to work scheme. Reply with quote

Anyone done this?

I plan to do this so I can save for a new motor and my DAS, rather than getting taxis everywhere.

I can't really walk everywhere I wanna go and you might as well get a. Taxi for the price of busses . IMO the price difference is not all that great.

Anyway, on to my point, I'm looking to do this with work. I've got a quote for a mongoose tyax sport in green which is priced at 500 quid.

I need to know if anyone's done this as I want to do know if it's worthwhile doing and if it's just a giant ball ache.

Thanks,

GF-91

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, they had one going in the NHS for a while, where if you rode your bike to work you got a free bike Thumbs Up

Sounds like a plan, but i'd stick to my 125 Laughing

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this on cycle to work, bike and gear should have been £1000, I'll end up paying about £700. It does get pretty confusing after the first year though.

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:44 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't let me see it on iPad Sad

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Dunno, they had one going in the NHS for a while, where if you rode your bike to work you got a free bike Thumbs Up

It wasn't a free bike, turns out you had the money taken out of your wages in a different way.

My bloke is thinking of taking it up, as well.

So I'd also be interested in knowing if its worthwhile (although I do work in the NHS, the scheme is now closed I think). Despite regular nagging from him indoors, its unlikely I'd ever be fit enough to cycle anywhere on a pushbike, but who knows. Stranger things have happened.

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF-91 wrote:
Won't let me see it on iPad Sad

Should work now, BCF didn't like the filename.

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:49 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

It wasn't a free bike, turns out you had the money taken out of your wages in a different way.

So I'd also be interested in knowing if its worthwhile (although I do work in the NHS, the scheme is now closed I think). Despite regular nagging from him indoors, its unlikely I'd ever be fit enough to cycle anywhere on a pushbike, but who knows. Stranger things have happened.

I don't work in the NHS. I have heard our scheme is still open, t my place it is, anyway.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cycle to Work is a tax incentive aimed at encouraging employees to, er, cycle to work, thereby reducing air pollution and improving their health.

The scheme allows employees to benefit from a long term loan of bikes and commuting equipment such as lights, locks and panniers completely tax free

Note. LOAN & TAX FREE...... NOT FREE......

So to save even more get on Gumtree and get a free/cheap bike.....

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

Hurr jip.

Who pays £1000+ for a bicycle? Shocked
People with too much money Dance!

I cycled 8 miles a day till i got my motorbike Thumbs Up

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:58 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hurr jip.

Who pays £1000+ for a bicycle? Shocked
People with too much money Dance!

I cycled 8 miles a day till i got my motorbike Thumbs Up

People who can, do. People who can't, go on gum tree.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:41 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get a very expensive bike for not quite as much money. If you want a very expensive bike then it's a reasonable way to get one.

However, if you want to cycle cheaply, get any old tat from Halfrauds or Gumtree and get pedalling. I've worn out several sets of tyres zooming around on Halfraud's cheapest track-n-trail hybrid. It's not the lightest thing, but both wheels touch the ground at the same time and there's not a darn thing wrong with it as a functional bicycle.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:51 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bike on the cycle scheme aswell as several others.

the bike you have selected is not a bad bike the tektro draco hydralic discs are a cheap sealed system and will not be massively effective (i have them on my giant roam1)

what are you using the bike for ? mostly road with an occasional bit of off road ?
any long distance rides on road exclusively ?
just bombing across town ?

the reason i ask is the bike you have selected will have s 44/32/22 chainset and if you are doing alot of road miles you would be better with a 48/36/26 or even taller.

if you are doing lmost exclusively road miles with little bits of light off road i would suggest looking for a 29 inch wheel bike as the larger wheels will make it alot easier.

something like the giant roam series

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-roam-2-2012/

the roam 2 being the £500 model.

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:53 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You get a very expensive bike for not quite as much money. If you want a very expensive bike then it's a reasonable way to get one.

However, if you want to cycle cheaply, get any old tat from Halfrauds or Gumtree and get pedalling. I've worn out several sets of tyres zooming around on Halfraud's cheapest track-n-trail hybrid. It's not the lightest thing, but both wheels touch the ground at the same time and there's not a darn thing wrong with it as a functional bicycle.

You have a point but I'll be riding for quite a while as to be able to save as much as possible. I'll be able to get to work in about 7 minutes from my house or maybe less than the if I go a bit faster. I'll also be riding from home to my girlfriends place and back. I feel I should be proud of the bike I'm on, or at least be pleased with it.

The bike chosen is a mongoose tyax, it's quite nice. I wanted it from the moment I saw it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:43 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it still looks like an expensive way to save money. Wink

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:01 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Eh, it still looks like an expensive way to save money. Wink

I'd spend more on taxis and this way I can work on being healthier.

You do have a point though.

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:03 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
I have a bike on the cycle scheme aswell as several others.

the bike you have selected is not a bad bike the tektro draco hydralic discs are a cheap sealed system and will not be massively effective (i have them on my giant roam1)

what are you using the bike for ? mostly road with an occasional bit of off road ?
any long distance rides on road exclusively ?
just bombing across town ?

the reason i ask is the bike you have selected will have s 44/32/22 chainset and if you are doing alot of road miles you would be better with a 48/36/26 or even taller.

if you are doing lmost exclusively road miles with little bits of light off road i would suggest looking for a 29 inch wheel bike as the larger wheels will make it alot easier.

something like the giant roam series

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/giant-roam-2-2012/

the roam 2 being the £500 model.

Very informative thanks.
Ill be bombing across town.

I personally think the bike I want will do the job I need it to do. Can't wait to have a go on it.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:48 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would also have a look at the felt q520
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-q520-2012/
has better quality shimano chainset rather then the suntour cranks on the bike you are looking at and its a pretty bike

also the marin iron springs

https://www.marin.co.uk/2012/images/bikes/650/12IS.jpg

marin bikes are usually very nice to ride compared to similarly priced competitors

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:55 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the look of it sorry

https://www.mongoose.com/mtn/2012/bikes/hardtail/2012-tyax-sport

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nearing the end of my 3rd cycle to work scheme.

Big thumbs up from me.

Road bikes are where I am at now. So much easier for commuting. Regretted getting off-roaders in the past, spent too little time off road and so became too much effort to commute for me, even with road tyres.

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:01 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
I'm nearing the end of my 3rd cycle to work scheme.

Big thumbs up from me.

Road bikes are where I am at now. So much easier for commuting. Regretted getting off-roaders in the past, spent too little time off road and so became too much effort to commute for me, even with road tyres.

i dont get on with road bikes im 19 stone with front row rugby player legs and i ride hard ive snapped so many spokes and buckled too many wheels from such minor surface imperfections having to run tyres at 120 psi but the speed you can acheive on a road bike is immense i had 54mph on my specialized sirrus.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:
i dont get on with road bikes im 19 stone with front row rugby player legs and i ride hard ive snapped so many spokes and buckled too many wheels from such minor surface imperfections having to run tyres at 120 psi but the speed you can acheive on a road bike is immense i had 54mph on my specialized sirrus.

My bloke, similarly sized, is currently seeking out new reasonably priced 26 inch frames on ebay (frustratingly rare, apparently), as his latest bike is off the road.

He's contemplating riding the pushbike to work one day and motorbike to work on the next which I guess might save undue wear and tear on the pushbike frame Thinking

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:18 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mum did this as she works for the local Councill. She's actually in the process of renewing it and sorting out a different bike. As she had an operation last year, she's looking at getting a bike with electric assist for when it's a bit out of her depth or if she's not 100%.

As far as I remember, she had various people quote the bike, gear etc and then the Council went with whoever whilst she paid a little bit off every month from her wages.

She was only about 5-6 miles from work but I know she really enjoyed it. It helped her get her fitness up, plus she was saving a considerable amount in petrol.

Definitely worth looking into if your workplace does it imo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF-91 wrote:
You have a point but I'll be riding for quite a while as to be able to save as much as possible. I'll be able to get to work in about 7 minutes from my house .

So walk and save even more, even faster.

If you can do it in 7 mins on a bike, then what a max of 30 mins walking.... Or even try jogging to get there even faster Wink

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:01 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
GF-91 wrote:
You have a point but I'll be riding for quite a while as to be able to save as much as possible. I'll be able to get to work in about 7 minutes from my house .

So walk and save even more, even faster.

If you can do it in 7 mins on a bike, then what a max of 30 mins walking.... Or even try jogging to get there even faster Wink

Why spend half an hour when I could have a quick ride to work and get healthier whilst doing that?

Y U NO UNDERSTAND

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know it is a Nazi Government scvm idea to get all you sheep on to push bikes and then tax you out of your dreams!!!!! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2