iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 06 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF-91 wrote:

Y U NO UNDERSTAND

I understand Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I plan to do this so I can save for a new motor and my DAS

You want to save..... Well you can save more by walking/jogging.... Getting up 30 mins earlier, does not cost anything Thumbs Up And would get you just as fit Laughing

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:42 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applied now....

sebastianw
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:32 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyB1989 wrote:

i dont get on with road bikes im 19 stone with front row rugby player legs and i ride hard ive snapped so many spokes and buckled too many wheels from such minor surface imperfections having to run tyres at 120 psi but the speed you can acheive on a road bike is immense i had 54mph on my specialized sirrus.

Oh purleeeese I expect your CG does over a 100 mph as well

The highest speed officially recorded for a bicycle ridden in a conventional upright position under fully faired conditions was 82.52 km/h (51.29 mph) over 200m.[10][11] That record was set in 1986 by Jim Glover on a Moulton AM7 at the 3rd international HPV scientific symposium at Vancouver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GF-91
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:02 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DECLINED LOL

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebastianw wrote:
AndyB1989 wrote:

i dont get on with road bikes im 19 stone with front row rugby player legs and i ride hard ive snapped so many spokes and buckled too many wheels from such minor surface imperfections having to run tyres at 120 psi but the speed you can acheive on a road bike is immense i had 54mph on my specialized sirrus.

The highest speed officially recorded for a bicycle ridden in a conventional upright position under fully faired conditions was 82.52 km/h (51.29 mph) over 200m.[10][11] That record was set in 1986 by Jim Glover on a Moulton AM7 at the 3rd international HPV scientific symposium at Vancouver.

no ... simples

highest speed acheived on the flat was

Sam Whittingham 2009 133 km/h (83 mph) Flat surface, unpaced

admittedly on a recumbant bicycle but when you realise my speed was acheived on the road in the slip stream of a lorry on a downhill section or road a more appropriate record to judge it against would be the 167mph acheived on a flat surface in the slipstream of a vehicle in 1995 or the downhill on a volcano on a production bike of 102mph ..

50 mph is easily acheivable with hard pedaling on a road bike on a downhill section ... get some experience in something before criticising people who know what they are talking about

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebastianw wrote:
AndyB1989 wrote:

no ... simples

highest speed acheived on the flat was

Sam Whittingham 2009 133 km/h (83 mph) Flat surface, unpaced

admittedly on a recumbant bicycle but when you realise my speed was acheived on the road in the slip stream of a lorry on a downhill section or road a more appropriate record to judge it against would be the 167mph acheived on a flat surface in the slipstream of a vehicle in 1995 or the downhill on a volcano on a production bike of 102mph ..

50 mph is easily acheivable with hard pedaling on a road bike on a downhill section ... get some experience in something before criticising people who know what they are talking about

AndyB1989
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:22 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if Saxo Bank’s JJ Haedo hit 117 kph – that’s 72.7 mph! on a downhill section of the tour de france towards the end of a long days riding . i dont see how hard to beleive an experienced cyclist on a downhill secton of his daily commute could hit over 50

Paulington
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 07 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling to work can help you save money but if it's a short journey and you have a car/motorcycle I can't see it saving that much really.

It's worth paying out the money to get a decent bike as it will last longer and just feel nicer. If your commute to work is mostly roads and no offroad part then you're best off buying a road cycle as it's the quickest and easiest way to do so.

If however there is an offroad section, get a mountain bike.

All the cycling I do is on tarmac'd roads so I have a road bike, paid £400 for this when it's worth over £1500 with all the accessories, real bargains to be had if you have a look around:

https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/13293_390859336370_544131370_4574848_2987031_n.jpg.

As for those speeds, my cyclometer shows my max speed at 48mph which was downhill near my house. But downhill speeds aren't important for a toss. My max speed on the flat is 28mph but I do prefer leisurely cycling. I know most TdF riders seem to have an average speed of around 25mph.

I'd like to point out that comparing an upright cycle, fully faired or not to a recumbent cycle in terms of maximum outright speed is like apples and oranges.

Heck, think about it in terms of physics.

To cycle at 25mph on the flat for a 85-90kg rider + bike assuming zero wind speed you need to be delivering ~300W of power to the pedals. To double the speed, you need to quadruple the power requirement which gives you around 1200W and that is near the maximum power production of a TdF rider which is 1600-1800W but they can only sustain this for seconds. In reality it'd be a lot more than this due to aerodynamic drag. This is all for UPRIGHT NON-FAIRED BICYCLES.

Top TdF sprinters can hit the upper 40mph range in the last few hundred metres of a race but as said, can only sustain that for tens of seconds at best. Achieving 50mph downhill on a standard bike for an amateur rider isn't out of the realm of possibility given a BIG hill and a properly geared bike as most bikes aren't geared for that type of speed.

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 08 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck.
My bloke just managed to find himself another (second hand) bike, so he says he is going to fix the old one and give it to me (!!!) in an effort to encourage me to get fitter.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

There *is* a cycle track which has recently been installed down the road from me, so its entirely possible that I *might* eventually spend some time doing roundy-roundies on there in the interests of domestic harmony.

Having said that, the bugger had an "off" this morning, some idiot pulling out on him on his way to work, which is only inclined to make me less-than-interested in cycling all the way to work, even if I could.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:39 - 08 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

The government have closed a few loopholes recently which make the scheme less appealing. The big thing to look for is what your company charge at the end of the rental period. I wanted a bike that was £1000 as a winter hack, was looking good initially as I would have paid £600 for it during the year, but on bikes over £500 I would have to pay 25% of the original value to make it mine which would have been £250 at the end of the year, making the total cost £850.

Sounds like a saving, which it is but the discount the cycle shops were running at the end of the year are always better, bike I wanted ended up at £700 new.

As for speed, my fastest speed was 57.3MPH GPS recorded on Dartmoor last year downhill.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 08 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like those anally intrusive bikes, and the people look like tits on them, in their silly spandex, with a bike seat up their arse. Thumbs Up Sick

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 08 Mar 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
The government have closed a few loopholes recently which make the scheme less appealing. The big thing to look for is what your company charge at the end of the rental period. I wanted a bike that was £1000 as a winter hack, was looking good initially as I would have paid £600 for it during the year, but on bikes over £500 I would have to pay 25% of the original value to make it mine which would have been £250 at the end of the year, making the total cost £850.

Sounds like a saving, which it is but the discount the cycle shops were running at the end of the year are always better, bike I wanted ended up at £700 new.

As for speed, my fastest speed was 57.3MPH GPS recorded on Dartmoor last year downhill.

My company has found another loophole and the 25% at the end has gone again, not sure what they do.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 197 days between these two posts...

Shifty 164
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:51 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was very interested in getting a bike this year until I spent all my money on beer. THE END (true story though)

But seriously, I've asked the girlfriend who works as a nurse to check it out for me. How much do they take off her salary per month for, say a £1000 bike? how does it exactly work, never mind how fast I'm going to ride it downhill

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:
Dunno, they had one going in the NHS for a while, where if you rode your bike to work you got a free bike Thumbs Up

It wasn't a free bike, turns out you had the money taken out of your wages in a different way.

My bloke is thinking of taking it up, as well.

So I'd also be interested in knowing if its worthwhile (although I do work in the NHS, the scheme is now closed I think). Despite regular nagging from him indoors, its unlikely I'd ever be fit enough to cycle anywhere on a pushbike, but who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Yeah, turns out you're right, and all the bikes are fucking expensive. You just don't pay any VAT on them or something Rolling Eyes

Thought it sounded too good to be true!

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousand quid bike, I lose about £80 off my wage each month, but NI goes down aswell so realistically about £55 off my take home for 12 months.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 21 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

truslack wrote:
Thousand quid bike, I lose about £80 off my wage each month, but NI goes down aswell so realistically about £55 off my take home for 12 months.

If they did the same thing for motorbikes, i'd be down for that Wink
£1000 for a bicycle, no chance pal

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm closer to being talked into one, have got until 19 October to put an order in before the window closes for this year at my work.

So (despite gales of laughter from the audience at home) I am considering a one of them old fashioned with basket type ones. Maybe it will improve my fitness levels (the big fella keeps banging on about Core Strength, and to be fair, he is fitter and stronger when he is regularly cycling to the office and back on his non-courier days).

I just don't see the point in me having one that looks all sporty when I am just gonna look like a blancmange sitting on top of it for quite some time to come. So I thought I would have a more ladylike bike, hence

https://www.onyourbike.com/images/products/s_prod_9755.jpg

... which obviously will be complete with french stick and a bunch of fuckin daisies.

I'm *so* not gonna ride that mofo to work, its 11 fuckin miles each way. Maybe just to go to the tube station and back for now, cos there is no way I will make it up over the Canning Town Flyover Shocked

But it depends how much is gonna come out of my wages. Spending £80 a month for 12 months on something I rarely use and/or aren't all that fussed about is kinda like me going "Oh! I think I will buy a ninja warrior and get him to kick me in the head once a month for 12 months whilst I pay him £80 for the privilege".

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone summarise how it works? I was told you get money taken from tax so it's basically free, but then I may have been told wrong.

mickie
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:04 - 23 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got my 3rd bike with this scheme.
Basically you request details from your employer of which scheme they are in, there are various administrators of the scheme ie bike it, c2w and a few others. your employer should give you details and a web link so you can register.
Most companies have agreements with various bike suppliers like evans or halfords, or you can approach an independant bike shop of your choice. If they are not registered on the scheme they can sign up.
You choose your bike and accessories (most employers insist on a helmet) up to the value of £1000.
you order your bike through the scheme with your chosen supplier. Your employer pay for the bike and then you can collect it.
Payments can be spread over either 12 or 18 months dependant on cost of bike. This is taken out of your gross pay before deductions. My payments for £1000 of kit is about £54 a month for 18 months. This means that if you spent £1000 you would effectively only pay about £700 for your bike. At the end of your payment period your employer can sell you the bike for a nominal amount, it's been 10% in both of the ones I've paid off.
There are a few conditions
you must use your bike predominantly for the journey to work, this means in reality that it could stay in the shed for 364 days of the year but the one day you use it it must be to go to work on.
Your take home pay cannot be less than minimum wage after the payment has been taken into account.
If you leave your employer before you have finished paying off the bike you are liable for the balance in a lump sum.

One word of warning, the second bike I got was from an online shop, and turned out to be made from silver foil and sticky backed plastic! It's best to get a local bike shop so any issues and servicing can be sorted out easily.
I've just aquired an electric bike as my journey home from work involves a 5 miles uphill slog. Took it to work yesterday and its great, you can still peddle and get some exercise but don't arrive home all sweaty Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2